Brissett missing layups | Syracusefan.com

Brissett missing layups

jgeorge322

Living Legend
how does he clean this up? Its been an amazing streak of misses. Outside a fast break dunk v pitt, i cant remember the last close shot he has hit. He already cost us one game v st bonas. I dont think ive ever seen a player worse at converting around the rim. The good news is his outside shot has fallen lately.

Has nothing to do with his weight. He's not aggressive going up. You can't teach that. It's on him to go up stronger.

An additional reason why he doesn't finish well, is because he often contorts his body to avoid contact.
I agree he needs to look for contact rather than try to avoid getting hit. I think his concern about avoiding a charge (or a block as the blocks he has experienced have to be in his head too) is impacting his concentration on the task at hand - put the ball in the hoop.

I wish it wasn't just him missing layups and shots in close. Nobody on this team can make those consistently or even fairly consistently.

OB doesn't go up strong enough to fight through contact. He looks to avoid contact instead of fighting through it, but it puts him in bad position to convert. And when he expects contact and it doesn't come, he still misses. Some of that will change if he can get stronger and more able to finish through the contact. More experience should help. Going up more aggressively will help. Hopefully, a better team around him where the floor is more spread will help prevent doubles and help defenders. He definitely will be much better next year, if he returns, so that should be fun to see his progress.

I wish it wasn't just him missing layups and shots in close. Nobody on this team can make those consistently or even fairly consistently.

OB doesn't go up strong enough to fight through contact. He looks to avoid contact instead of fighting through it, but it puts him in bad position to convert. And when he expects contact and it doesn't come, he still misses. Some of that will change if he can get stronger and more able to finish through the contact. More experience should help. Going up more aggressively will help. Hopefully, a better team around him where the floor is more spread will help prevent doubles and help defenders. He definitely will be much better next year, if he returns, so that should be fun to see his progress.

Think this is accurate, he seems to do a lot of double clutching and trying to avoid contact in order to finesse it in. I liked how in the FSU game he just cocked it back and went for the throwdown, id like to see him do that more often. Also I saw a nice little floater from him last night which I had not seen before so idk where that's been all season but that's a good shot to add to the arsenal for him.

Has nothing to do with his weight. He's not aggressive going up. You can't teach that. It's on him to go up stronger.

An additional reason why he doesn't finish well, is because he often contorts his body to avoid contact.

You can teach a player to go up aggressively and you can teach a player to finish better through contact. That's where the "experience and practice" part of my message comes in. And getting stronger always helps.

the more you go up and get fouled and dont get the call the more you try to avoid contact.

Think this is accurate, he seems to do a lot of double clutching and trying to avoid contact in order to finesse it in. I liked how in the FSU game he just cocked it back and went for the throwdown, id like to see him do that more often. Also I saw a nice little floater from him last night which I had not seen before so idk where that's been all season but that's a good shot to add to the arsenal for him.
There are a few things that can change without even making major moves...The players can go up stronger and more aggressively (Brissett mostly) and the team can push the pace on O a bit more. When we went on that nice run against FSU, it's because we pushed the tempo a bit and attacked earlier in the clock. Just sitting back and lacking aggressiveness will do nothing to help this team.

OB expects contact and tries to go around it. If he tries going through it more, hopefully he'll either get more calls or start figuring out how to finish.

A big part of his problem is he doesn't finish well with his left hand. Many times on slow-mo replays you can see the shot attempt would have been much easier if he didn't try to force it with his right hand. That explains a lot of his contortion acrobatics. I think a lot of these uber athletes fail to develop this part of their game because they could simply overpower smaller, shorter kids in high school.

how does he clean this up? Its been an amazing streak of misses. Outside a fast break dunk v pitt, i cant remember the last close shot he has hit. He already cost us one game v st bonas. I dont think ive ever seen a player worse at converting around the rim. The good news is his outside shot has fallen lately.
He's almost always off-balance when he drives.

early on in the season he wasn't making many shots either, but was getting to the line a ton - at the very least we need him to start doing that again (tho I spose we need a little help from the refs, too)

early on in the season he wasn't making many shots either, but was getting to the line a ton - at the very least we need him to start doing that again (tho I spose we need a little help from the refs, too)

I think it's a mixture of the defense not playing him too tight inside and avoiding contact and his size. He's a big boy. Contact on him doesn't look the same if a smaller guy is doing what Oshea is doing.

I know some of you will flinch, but he needs to work with Frank on this. Franklin has improved so much in terms of finishing at the rim this year when compared to last. He goes stronger to the rim than OB right now and he's shorter.

I think it's a mixture of the defense not playing him too tight inside and avoiding contact and his size. He's a big boy. Contact on him doesn't look the same if a smaller guy is doing what Oshea is doing.
Frankly if you just let Brissett shoot those out of control leaners without fouling, it's a good bet he will miss.

I know some of you will flinch, but he needs to work with Frank on this. Franklin has improved so much in terms of finishing at the rim this year when compared to last. He goes stronger to the rim than OB right now and he's shorter.
I do think he needs to work on it and Frank has improved a ton on finishing. I think he needs to work on getting better angles and not forcing it as much too which will lead to better body position when he's shooting. He's sprawled out all of the the place when he drives now.

Zepharus

that's funny. but the stats don't lie.

paul harris shot 47.2%, 46.9%, and 49.4% on two pointers his three years here, and we know the majority of those made shots weren't long twos with him...

OB is 34.7% from two pointers.

quite the disparity...