Brittney Sykes to Return for Fifth Season | Syracusefan.com

Brittney Sykes to Return for Fifth Season

Not sure what she's looking at WNBA salary-wise, but the equation is vastly different on the men's side, so this is probably well thought out.

Very surprising and great news for next year. With 2 degrees she'll probably increase her long term earnings potential more than losing a year's WNBA salary. Most girls head overseas anyways if money was the only object - pay is much better on foreign soil than the US. Hoping she stays injury free.

Not sure what she's looking at WNBA salary-wise, but the equation is vastly different on the men's side, so this is probably well thought out.

I think the top salary in the US's WNBA is around $105,000 for the top players with experience. Brittney Greiner had her WNBA salary capped her first year at around $50,000 so she opted for a 4 month stint playing in China for $600,000.

I think the top salary in the US's WNBA is around $105,000 for the top players with experience. Brittney Greiner had her WNBA salary capped her first year at around $50,000 so she opted for a 4 month stint playing in China for $600,000.
Yep playing abroad pays way more for those that are able. Turasi sat out the WNBA year because her Russian team paid her to miss it and avoid injury. A big year from Sykes next year and she becomes more of a commodity to get bigger dollars abroad. Not to mention additional grad/undergrad degree. Good decision by her.

This is great news for Womens BB. I thought for sure that when she participated in senior day that she was leaving, great for SU.

Awesome news x 2 with the Roberson news. Looking forward to another year of Brittney. Leaving Syracuse with two degrees free of charge is definitely not a bad situation to be in,.

Awesome news x 2 with the Roberson news. Looking forward to another year of Brittney. Leaving Syracuse with two degrees free of charge is definitely not a bad situation to be in,.
Just cost her arthritis down the road. Not really free.
But, awesome for her. The WNBA is not life changing money.

I admit that I don't follow the women's team that closely. I started to get more interested as they moved through the tournament. From what I can tell, SU loses a couple starters from this year's squad. The recruiting class looks very guard heavy, but very good. One recruit is even a 5 star and an ESPN top 100 recruit. It looks like Coach Q might be able to keep this going for awhile. It would be nice to see.

That's the TOP salary? Very interesting. I pay virtually no attention to the WNBA but can't help but think if so many good players opt for playing abroad it's even tougher to put fannies in the seats, except for die hard fans. So ultimately aren't the owners hurting the league and their bottom line by paying peanuts?

Llandz will be just thrilled that Brittney is coming back though. I'm pleased myself.

I am thrilled. I think as she said, she surprised herself. She acted like she was done on Tuesday night. When I told her that I knew she probably would not be back and how much I appreciated watching her play, she did not deny it. She was much more emotional that night after the game than any other player. She hugged her mom and cried for a few minutes when she got back to the hotel. She did a round of shots with the seniors, and was taking photos with that group. Of course she did come in with them. But she must have spent that night mulling it over with her mother, and then spoke to coach yesterday. I have no doubt that the person who left the court on Tuesday night did not think she was coming back, or certainly did not know it. But her reaction with her mom was maybe the pull to stay and not be done here. She is a huge team leader, and loves this program and the school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom