Bros and lady bros - what's the best SU paraphernalia? | Syracusefan.com

Bros and lady bros - what's the best SU paraphernalia?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Hello board,

In less than a fortnight my family will be moving to a larger home. One of the benefits of said largerness is that there is a room reserved for my entertainment and passage of time. I understand that these rooms at times are known as "man caverns." In addition to the standard couch, tv, mini fridge and dart board associated with "man caverns," I intend to furnish and otherwise decorate the space with a Syracuse sports theme and am interested in knowing of any unusual or outright awesome things I should acquire for this room.

So, what should I get? We'll pretend for now that money doesn't matter. I just want to know what you think is the best stuff out there.

Also, my son is starting to understand that Dada cares about Syracuse sports, so if there are good items to help steer him towards proper fandom I am also interested in knowing about those too.

Many thanks,
OttoinGrotto

Hello board,

In less than a fortnight my family will be moving to a larger home. One of the benefits of said largerness is that there is a room reserved for my entertainment and passage of time. I understand that these rooms at times are known as "man caverns." In addition to the standard couch, tv, mini fridge and dart board associated with "man caverns," I intend to furnish and otherwise decorate the space with a Syracuse sports theme and am interested in knowing of any unusual or outright awesome things I should acquire for this room.

So, what should I get? We'll pretend for now that money doesn't matter. I just want to know what you think is the best stuff out there.

Also, my son is starting to understand that Dada cares about Syracuse sports, so if there are good items to help steer him towards proper fandom I am also interested in knowing about those too.

Many thanks,
OttoinGrotto
if your son is already understanding, you've dropped the ball in a big way with indoctronottotion

thumb.aspx

Hello board,

Many thanks,
OttoinGrotto

You've got to get one of those Syracuse trains someone referred to in another post. Lay some tracks around the room, and your son will love it.

I will take pics of the cave at home and send to you. I have mastered the art of the man cave

I've always framed sports illustrated magazines of my favorite teams accomplishments. Hoping to frame another one in April! Also panaramics are great for man caves, that Duke vs Cuse one will be a perfect mantle piece for mine. Cuse rugs are another good one, they are kind of pricey though.

are you really starting from scratch? i had enough accumulated by the time we finished our basement a few years ago that it was more a matter of positioning than acquisition.

but allow me to be designy.
-think big picture/theme first. don't get a ton of nicknacks and just spread em out. get the big pieces in place and then you'll understand the room's flow.
-knock out the easy, inexpensive things first. an su throw blanket on the sofa.
-a coffee table that has glass over flat display items is a tasetful way to show off some historical things - old programs, ticket stubs, magazine covers, etc
-make sure there are some subtle pieces in there (random example - a real Irving Avenue street sign would be awesome. A $10 plastic "CUSE FAN PARKING ONLY" is cheesy and too on the nose)
-a nod to history is great and doesn't have to break the bank at all. b&w photos of campus/stadium contrasted with modern. maybe a wall of fame highlighting SU all americans (with room to grow). Saltine and Otto together. a 44 banner (it's probably pretty easy to make a knock off of the one in the dome). felt pennants
-take the obvious and make it a little thoughtful. instead of the same aerial picture of the dome that everybody has in their basement, frame seating charts for fb and bb next to each other.
-have a few key focus items appropriately framed/displayed. It sounds crass, but the best fb player of all time went to cuse and is aging...but his autograph is still very reasonable. Look at autographed helmets/jerseys.

or, forget all of this and just have a statues of Melvin Tuten and Elvir Ovcina erected.

Hello board,

Many thanks,
OttoinGrotto

If "unusual and outright awesome" are your selection criteria and money is no object, I would go with getting an SU......cheerleader.

If the wife is not cool with that, how about a ball washer? Google Lewis Black for reference. (Do not open at work!)

How about a video/movie of Vic Hansen hitting a winning jumper to win the NC 2-0 during those awkward basketball teen years?

are you really starting from scratch?
Great ideas. I'm not starting fully from scratch because I do have a couple of things, but I'm treating it fresh.

Great ideas. I'm not starting fully from scratch because I do have a couple of things, but I'm treating it fresh.

I'd vote for an enormous bighead image of Derrick Coleman looking moderately aggravated. I captured the expression I have in mind when DC and Dikembe Mutombo squared off in the crowd at the Georgia Dome last April. It ended with friendly backslapping, of course, and I respect Mutombo for wading into a sea of SU alumni--but DC put on his game face when he first showed up.

Color me jealous about the cavern-in-the-making, by the way. Please post photos of the final result.

Attachments

• DC-Mutombo.jpeg
    DC-Mutombo.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 123
For some reason I'm thinking you need a custom Cuse jersey to hang on the wall that reads "Thickburger". Imagine all the fun you'd have explaining that to people.

You have to get your hands on some blue chairs from the Dome.

Wall Hanging

I would start getting signed autographs online and framing them nicely. I have John Wallace, GMac, Sherman, and Dave Bing. I also have a framed basketball with Coach B's signature that works well in the bookcase. Making the joint be man cavish doesn't mean it has to look like garbage. Having things matted and framed, and getting some vintage stuff in there is nice as well.

I also have the SU national championship banner framed, with the aforementioned pictures around it. Got the wall hanging I've linked to for Christmas. Another nice secondary piece. Have a framed SU-Pittsburgh program from a long, long time ago as well.