Marsh01

Living Legend
Boeheim deserves place among the greats

December, 17, 2012
Dec 17
3:15
PM ET
By Bruce Pearl, Special to ESPN.com | ESPN.com
Nine hundred. Nine hundred of almost anything is a lot.

But when it comes to winning college basketball games, it's truly rarefied air. There are only four coaches that have reached that milestone and their names are Summitt, Krzyzewski, Knight and Conradt.

That exclusive club is about to welcome Jim Boeheim.

You’ve heard most of it before. He’s snarky. He’s stubborn. The 2-3 zone is gimmicky. He never leaves New York state until after the New Year. Some might think he could be a little nicer to the media.

All of these things may be true. But he’s also a Hall of Fame coach that’s won 75 percent of the games he’s coached in a remarkable 37-year career at Syracuse. He’s been to the Final Four three times and won a national championship in 2003. He’s served on Mike Krzyzewski’s staff on two gold-medal Olympic teams. The list goes on and on.

[+] Enlarge
sn_u_boeheim_d1_200.jpg
Rich Barnes/USA TODAY SportsJim Boeheim has helped Syracuse crack the top five among college basketball's all-time winningest programs.
And while 900 wins -- which he'll attempt to reach tonight against Detroit (7 ET, ESPN2) -- is an impressive statistic, as a coach, the thing that sticks out to me most is what he’s meant to Syracuse and its university. The feeling is definitely mutual.

There’s a famous Rick Pitino story involving Boeheim that sums up what I mean. As it goes, Pitino, Boeheim and their wives were on a beach somewhere. The question was asked among each member of the group, “If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?”

Pitino and the women offer different exotic locations from across the globe. Boeheim, who responded last, says, “Syracuse.”

I believe him.

Few sports figures have had an impact on a community like Boeheim has in his central New York neck of the woods. I can’t help but draw parallels to one that I saw firsthand: the legendary Pat Summitt.

Pat is to Knoxville as Jim is to Syracuse. She grew up in a small town and spent her entire career at Tennessee, coached a gold-medal Olympic team in 1984, helped set home attendance records for the Lady Vols, has worked tirelessly for local charitable organizations that are important to her and even has UT’s home basketball court dedicated in her name.

Boeheim has done all of those things at Syracuse as well. The most interesting similarity to me, though, is that in an era of constant coaching changes, both legends were rarely attached to other jobs (there once was some talk of Boeheim leaving for Ohio State, but that conversation didn't last 10 minutes) -- even though they would have unquestionably been successful in different ventures.

This, Jim’s 43rd season with a whistle on the Syracuse bench (he served as an assistant for six seasons under Ray Danforth), marks 50 years since he came onto the SU campus as a student way back in 1962. All that’s happened since is the Orange have made 34 NCAA tournament appearances, won the Big East regular season nine times, produced 35 All-Americans, and has become the premier program in one of the most prestigious conferences in the country.

Not bad for a guy that grew up in a little town called Lyons, N.Y., and to some is still more famously known as Dave Bing’s teammate than the third (soon to be second) winningest coach in men’s basketball history.

Some of the old-timers will appreciate this list: Lou Carnesecca, Rollie Massimino, John Thompson, Dr. Tom Davis, Bill Raftery, Dom Perno, and of course Jim Calhoun. This is a roll call of the coaches who made the Big East into such a giant in the college basketball world (until now). Boeheim not only stands tall amongst that group, he’s still going! And though he’s spent three-fourths of his life at his alma mater, Boeheim literally scoffs at the mention of retirement.

On a bigger scale, the discussion sometimes turns to whether Syracuse is among the “blue bloods” of college basketball. Both Boeheim and his university aren’t on most people's top-five list, but he’s certainly on mine.

Here’s another list for you: 1) Kentucky; 2) Kansas; 3) North Carolina; 4) Duke; 5) Syracuse. That is a list of the programs with the most wins in Division I history. The Orange are fifth all time and will have 1,852 wins when Boeheim reaches his 900th. You don’t see UCLA, Louisville or Michigan State on that list. Indiana, UConn () and Georgetown are not on it, either. Syracuse is on it because of Boeheim.

A debate about things like that is for the fans, but the statistics tell a very real story. Jim Boeheim has had a historic career while at Syracuse and deserves to be recognized as one of the game's true icons.

Bobby Knight played at Ohio State and coached at Army, Indiana and Texas Tech. Krzyzewski played and coached at Army before going to Duke.

Boeheim has done it all in one place: Syracuse, N.Y.

There's no place he'd rather be.

I will delete mine, Marsh

damn, it can't be done

December, 17, 2012
Dec 17
3:15
PM ET
By Bruce Pearl, Special to ESPN.com | ESPN.com
Nine hundred. Nine hundred of almost anything is a lot.

But when it comes to winning college basketball games, it's truly rarefied air. There are only four coaches that have reached that milestone and their names are Summitt, Krzyzewski, Knight and Conradt.

That exclusive club is about to welcome Jim Boeheim.

You’ve heard most of it before. He’s snarky. He’s stubborn. The 2-3 zone is gimmicky. He never leaves New York state until after the New Year. Some might think he could be a little nicer to the media.

All of these things may be true. But he’s also a Hall of Fame coach that’s won 75 percent of the games he’s coached in a remarkable 37-year career at Syracuse. He’s been to the Final Four three times and won a national championship in 2003. He’s served on Mike Krzyzewski’s staff on two gold-medal Olympic teams. The list goes on and on.

[+] Enlarge
sn_u_boeheim_d1_200.jpg
Rich Barnes/USA TODAY SportsJim Boeheim has helped Syracuse crack the top five among college basketball's all-time winningest programs.
And while 900 wins -- which he'll attempt to reach tonight against Detroit (7 ET, ESPN2) -- is an impressive statistic, as a coach, the thing that sticks out to me most is what he’s meant to Syracuse and its university. The feeling is definitely mutual.

There’s a famous Rick Pitino story involving Boeheim that sums up what I mean. As it goes, Pitino, Boeheim and their wives were on a beach somewhere. The question was asked among each member of the group, “If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?”

Pitino and the women offer different exotic locations from across the globe. Boeheim, who responded last, says, “Syracuse.”

I believe him.

Few sports figures have had an impact on a community like Boeheim has in his central New York neck of the woods. I can’t help but draw parallels to one that I saw firsthand: the legendary Pat Summitt.

Pat is to Knoxville as Jim is to Syracuse. She grew up in a small town and spent her entire career at Tennessee, coached a gold-medal Olympic team in 1984, helped set home attendance records for the Lady Vols, has worked tirelessly for local charitable organizations that are important to her and even has UT’s home basketball court dedicated in her name.

Boeheim has done all of those things at Syracuse as well. The most interesting similarity to me, though, is that in an era of constant coaching changes, both legends were rarely attached to other jobs (there once was some talk of Boeheim leaving for Ohio State, but that conversation didn't last 10 minutes) -- even though they would have unquestionably been successful in different ventures.

This, Jim’s 43rd season with a whistle on the Syracuse bench (he served as an assistant for six seasons under Ray Danforth), marks 50 years since he came onto the SU campus as a student way back in 1962. All that’s happened since is the Orange have made 34 NCAA tournament appearances, won the Big East regular season nine times, produced 35 All-Americans, and has become the premier program in one of the most prestigious conferences in the country.

Not bad for a guy that grew up in a little town called Lyons, N.Y., and to some is still more famously known as Dave Bing’s teammate than the third (soon to be second) winningest coach in men’s basketball history.

Some of the old-timers will appreciate this list: Lou Carnesecca, Rollie Massimino, John Thompson, Dr. Tom Davis, Bill Raftery, Dom Perno, and of course Jim Calhoun. This is a roll call of the coaches who made the Big East into such a giant in the college basketball world (until now). Boeheim not only stands tall amongst that group, he’s still going! And though he’s spent three-fourths of his life at his alma mater, Boeheim literally scoffs at the mention of retirement.

On a bigger scale, the discussion sometimes turns to whether Syracuse is among the “blue bloods” of college basketball. Both Boeheim and his university aren’t on most people's top-five list, but he’s certainly on mine.

Here’s another list for you: 1) Kentucky; 2) Kansas; 3) North Carolina; 4) Duke; 5) Syracuse. That is a list of the programs with the most wins in Division I history. The Orange are fifth all time and will have 1,852 wins when Boeheim reaches his 900th. You don’t see UCLA, Louisville or Michigan State on that list. Indiana, UConn () and Georgetown are not on it, either. Syracuse is on it because of Boeheim.

A debate about things like that is for the fans, but the statistics tell a very real story. Jim Boeheim has had a historic career while at Syracuse and deserves to be recognized as one of the game's true icons.

Bobby Knight played at Ohio State and coached at Army, Indiana and Texas Tech. Krzyzewski played and coached at Army before going to Duke.

Haha, love the personal Marsh01 insert. Classic.

The most stunning thing, for me anyway, from that column is the fact that we have more wins than UCLA. I realize they have been down pretty consistently for the last, oh, 15-20 years or so (with some exceptions, since the O'Bannon days), but never, ever expected but I never, ever would have guessed that.

So as it turns out, people can stop arguing about whether or not Syracuse belongs in the discussion as one of the all-time elite programs alongside Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, and UCLA, because it's not a discussion. We simply are one of the greatest college basketball programs ever. And while others have done plenty for the program, it's safe to say we can almost exclusively thank James Arthur Boeheim for that.

Congrats, Jimmy, on becoming one of the truly most special college basketball coaches in history.

The question of elite can be subjective, but SU's accomplishments take a back seat to no one.
"You are, what your record says you are". -Bill Parcells-

Sadly the only thing keeping us out of the broader discussion of "elite" is our lack of titles. Hopefully we will rectify that in the next few years.

Someone called in Ron and Fez today and said JB was a compiler.

Yes, he compiles victories at an alarming rate.
:bat:

Sadly the only thing keeping us out of the broader discussion of "elite" is our lack of titles. Hopefully we will rectify that in the next few years.
if SU had UConn's titles (or UConn had SU's history), then the Elite Five would be the Elite Six

First Tier Elite:
Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Duke

Second Tier Elite:
Indiana, Louisville, Syracuse, Arizona, UConn, Michigan St., Ohio State . . . tempted to put UNLV and Georgetown here, but I think the days of non-football schools will soon be firmly over.

I find the comparison to Pat Summit very interesting. Never would have thought of that comparison, but it seems like a very good one.

The Orange are fifth all time and will have 1,852 wins when Boeheim reaches his 900th. You don’t see UCLA, Louisville or Michigan State on that list. Indiana, UConn () and Georgetown are not on it, either. Syracuse is on it because of Boeheim.

I had to read this three times to make sure I wasn't subconsciously inserting this. Then, without pausing to consider the consequences, asked my daughter to verify. She is seven (7) years old. Her immediate and very innocent question (as I cringed, mind racing as to how to respond appropriately) was "What does the 'F' mean? Does that mean we should fart on UConn?"

Yes. Yes we should.

I had to read this three times to make sure I wasn't subconsciously inserting this. Then, without pausing to consider the consequences, asked my daughter to verify. She is seven (7) years old. Her immediate and very innocent question (as I cringed, mind racing as to how to respond appropriately) was "What does the 'F' mean? Does that mean we should fart on UConn?"

Yes. Yes we should.
Agreed, especially after they banned me for calling out their hypocrisy towards MCW, considering their stellar track record and all.
PS- Your daughter's a genius!
bowdown.gif

That's funny... my buddy helped write that for Pearl. He's a doctorate student at UT and he's a ing huge Cuse fan. No bias there! :)