Bruce Weber to KSU | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Weber to KSU

I somehow missed when Frank Martin left. Is South Carolina really considered a better job? Did they just throw a ton of money at him? Was there something else involved?

That's a move that seems like it's not even lateral.

I somehow missed when Frank Martin left. Is South Carolina really considered a better job? Did they just throw a ton of money at him? Was there something else involved?

Martin has a pretty big history in the south east. If he kept his relationships, he could really turn SC around

USC was a really good program back in the 70's when they were in the ACC; the program really declined when USC went independent. I thought Odom had things going in the right direction back in 2005 when they won the NIT...but they never took off from there. But if you were to tell me that either USC or KSU was going to be a top 5 program in 2022, I'd put my money on USC - its a program that might be a sleeping giant. I think KSU basically is what it is right now. That's prolly why Martin would move, USC should have a much higher ceiling than KSU.

From what I've heard:
1. Martin and the KSU AD didn't get along.
2. The stability of going to an SEC school versus Big 12 helped because apparently the Big 12 is kinda shaky right now as far as staying together? I heard that somewhere.
3. Like the other guy said, he has some connections there.
4. Being at SC allows him to try to make the program into something without being under the shadow of a school like Kansas.

This has to be one of the worst hires I've ever seen. Weber was only successful with players he didn't recruit. If he couldn't recruit at Illinois, how can he possibly get the job done at K.St. Very strange hire IMO.

Martin has a pretty big history in the south east. If he kept his relationships, he could really turn SC around

SC cant be turned around until SC actually gives a about basketball.

This has to be one of the worst hires I've ever seen. Weber was only successful with players he didn't recruit. If he couldn't recruit at Illinois, how can he possibly get the job done at K.St. Very strange hire IMO.

I agree. Weber should have been fired 5 years ago.

USC was a really good program back in the 70's when they were in the ACC; the program really declined when USC went independent. I thought Odom had things going in the right direction back in 2005 when they won the NIT...but they never took off from there. But if you were to tell me that either USC or KSU was going to be a top 5 program in 2022, I'd put my money on USC - its a program that might be a sleeping giant. I think KSU basically is what it is right now. That's prolly why Martin would move, USC should have a much higher ceiling than KSU.
Frank McGuire, one of the great college coaches of all time, was the head coach at USC from '64 through the '79-80 season. I remember going to the SU vs USC game in the Garden during the '78-'79 season won by the Organgemen 71-64. Although SU was ranked #7 and USC was unranked, it was still a good win coming over an ACC opponent with a legendary coach on a neutral floor. In those days we did not take over MSG, the way we do now.

Yes USC was a great program under Frank McGuire. As I recall they left the ACC in 1971 when they were among the top teams in the country, but lost the ACC tournament. Back they only conference tournament winners got NCAA bids.

SC cant be turned around until SC actually gives a **** about basketball.

Apparently they're opening up brand new facilities, according to a friend who goes there. They're pouring a lot of money into the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Carolina was pretty good in the late 90's. Were a 2 seed in 1997. Of course, they lost in the first round.

Not like Kansas State was anything over the last 20+ years before Huggins/Martin arrived.

Martin seems to recruit a lot of Florida kids, especially from Miami. He has a lot of connections there. I may be easier to get Fla. kids to go to South Carolina than it was to Manhattan, KS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom