Brunson | Syracusefan.com

Brunson

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I know I will be in the minority, but I do not see the genius. I am trying to remember a player more hyped in recent memory. He was probably their 4th most important player on the team. He made a great choice going there as he fit perfectly, but I am missing the POY connection.

The kid is 6’ PG who can post up.

He is a playmaker. Players can’t double him as Nova surrounds him with shooting and he can pass to a shooter if he is doubled.

Kid is a great college player who will be a role player in the NBA.

I just find it interesting he's listed at 6'3". I haven't stood next to him or anything like that, but seems 6' tops

I know I will be in the minority, but I do not see the genius. I am trying to remember a player more hyped in recent memory. He was probably their 4th most important player on the team. He made a great choice going there as he fit perfectly, but I am missing the POY connection.

Basing this on the season? One game? Just curious.

I am trying to remember a player more hyped in recent memory
Take a stroll through the recruiting archives on how every player who commits to Syracuse is going to be all-world and lead the team to championship glory in one or two seasons.

Half those guys from the last five years have already left the team because they couldn't see the floor.

Take a stroll through the recruiting archives on how every player who commits to Syracuse is going to be all-world and lead the team to championship glory in one or two seasons.

Half those guys from the last five years have already left the team because they couldn't see the floor.

It's incredible. Love when guys choose another school and then officially suck and we didn't need them.

I watch them quite a bit (not like SU but quite a bit), and I just think he was more of a system guy who meshed talent with team. I don't think he's great on the ball as a defender, his back in post is nice but Michigan showed how to slow that. I think he needed a ton of good shooters to be really good. He's good I'm just not buying the POY stuff.

I watch them quite a bit (not like SU but quite a bit), and I just think he was more of a system guy who meshed talent with team. I don't think he's great on the ball as a defender, his back in post is nice but Michigan showed how to slow that. I think he needed a ton of good shooters to be really good. He's good I'm just not buying the POY stuff.

Best player on best team factor, IMO -- in a season when there was no obvious standout player.

Uhhh, that dude is a college superstar. 4th most important player on the team? Come on now...

Yeah, it's the perfect system for him, but he's also the perfect player for Jay Wright's system.

And will he come back for another season?

I mostly agree with this. He's not overly athletic and is definitely short. I don't recall too many 6' tall NBA PGs who stuck around long without really good athleticism. His assists numbers are a little worrisome, given the plethora of scoring threats he had available to pass to, imo. I know Nova shared the ball a lot as a team, but I'd think the PG on a team with 20 shooters would do better than 5 dimes per game.

He's going to struggle to get his shot off in the League because 80% of the guards he'll face will be bigger, stronger, faster, and he won't be able to score in the post.

Givony at ESPN has Brunson going after Battle.

Smartest player I've seen in a looooong time. Rarely puts his teammates in a bad spot and he's one step ahead of the defense on every possession.

It's like he's watching everyone else play in slow motion.

Last night, Brunson turned in what was likely the worst game he's played as a collegian. He was way too emotionally charged. That said, he's a heck of a player and he''ll play in the NBA. Backup point guard/rotation player. He's eager and coach-able, with a nice array of leadership qualities.

And 20 years from now, he will be the HC at a Big 5 school in Philly. Likely Temple.

He had a bad game last night by his standards, but the shot he hit right before half where he allowed the ball to trickle down the court and drilled a 23-footer to get a 2-for-1 possession was a big play. Also, the box out of the 7-1 guy where he was giving up a good foot was impressive.

Kid is a flat-out winner and does everything you want a player to do. Have seen him single-handedly win games countless times. He's absolutely deserving of POY.

Smartest player I've seen in a looooong time. Rarely puts his teammates in a bad spot and he's one step ahead of the defense on every possession.

It's like he's watching everyone else play in slow motion.

I love the way he plays. Such a tough, heady player.

Last night was certainly not his best game, but IMO, he was definitely deserving of the POY accolades.

The thing that sets him apart is when one part of his game isn't working he tries something else and if that's not working he tries something else. He's got a lot of ways to beat you. Last night he couldn't hit a shot so he posted up and went hard to the boards and stepped up his defense. Then he cans the three from way downtown to close the half. Not a lot of college guards have the tools to make that adjustment, they just keep shooting figuring at some point they'll start to fall.

I heard a comparison elsewhere on the board that he reminded them of Billy Edelin. I must agree.
I’d take him any day. He makes those around him better players.

I heard a comparison elsewhere on the board that he reminded them of Billy Edelin. I must agree.
I’d take him any day. He makes those around him better players.

Much better shooter than Billy, and Billy had at least a couple inches on him. But the pace, control, and feel he plays with looked a lot like BE. (Who might have been an all-time great if things had fallen better for him.)

Heart and soul of that team, w/ ice-water in his veins. Very heady, patient, great b-ball IQ, always makes the right pass, “Coach on the floor”, add any cliche you want!
After watching Nova early last season, i thought they were the best team w/ a combination of experience, coaching, and system to win it all. I didn’t see Duke, UK, or any of the other trendy picks having enough to overcome all that Villanova had going for them.
Unfortunately if Brunson comes back, pencil them in for back/to-back titles. JMHO