Bubble Team Preference - Major? Mid-Major? | Syracusefan.com

Bubble Team Preference - Major? Mid-Major?

Which Group do you Prefere

• Majors - Oregon, Minnesota, Nebraska, tennessee

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Mid-Majors - BYU, Richmond, Dayton, Southern Miss

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Don't Care / Depends Purely on the Team

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
As we get to bubble season the debates begin (for some of us). I may post some polls or other discussion matter over the next few weeks depending on interest.

While the bubble stinks this year, its actually an intriguing mix of teams and should make for some good discussions throughout March.

I noted a comment the other day to the effect of "I don't want any mid-majors in my tournament". I found it an odd take because given the performance of mid-majors in recent years -- in my view they certainly deserve inclusion (not necessarily top seeds).

So I took the 2 last majors in/out, and 2 last mid-majors in/out as per the bracket matrix.

The question is -- What group would you prefer to see in the tournament? This is meant to be a general discussion, rather than these specific teams. This may be based on what group deserves to get in... or not. Or maybe you don't care about those level of teams.

Note - I purposely excluded Big East teams from the discussion, as it may skew the view given our familiarity with those teams. As a result I went 1/3 in my split of Mid-Major Groupings. Big East is all over the bubble right now with Xavier and St. John's (in), Providence and Georgetown (out)

Groups as of now:

Majors: Oregon, Minnesota, Nebraska, Tennessee
Mid-Majors: BYU, Richmond, Dayton, Southern Miss

May also want to add your view on Big East teams.

I would prefer to see mid-majors as the last teams on the bubble for two main reasons:

1) Butler, Wichita St, George Mason and VCU have all made the Final 4 the last 7 years from the 8 seed and below. No major conference teams 8 seeded or below have made the Final 4 in that time.

2) Comparing the resumes of a bubble mid-major vs. a bubble major is often apples and oranges. Of course the majors will have more quality wins -- they have more opportunities, and at home. I believe based on 1) mid-majors deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the bubble process.

3) Middle of the pack teams from major conferences have had all season to prove they are better than a bubble level team. And they have not. It's been a while since a major team 8 seed or below has made a real run in the tourney. That should be known based on how they have performed.

To answer your question I'd go with a Major. I'd much prefer to see an underachieving Major like Tennessee or similar than a Mid-Major that likely got hot late and will be coming into March rolling. It's all hit or miss though. Total luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom