Buddy is going make his Dad an even better coach | Syracusefan.com

Buddy is going make his Dad an even better coach

kcsu

Living Legend
I believe that having Buddy on the team is going to bring out the best in his father. The dynamics are going to change and i believe that Jim will have a closeness with his players that is going to make a huge difference. Im also expecting a slightly different approach from him when it comes to how he handles the press.

buddy is going to have to be good plus a 30 % coach's son factor if he sees the floor.

buddy is going to have to be good plus a 30 % coach's son factor if he sees the floor.

He's already showed in the exhibition games that he's much more than just a great shooter. He will get some minutes this year, just not sure how many.

I believe that having Buddy on the team is going to bring out the best in his father. The dynamics are going to change and i believe that Jim will have a closeness with his players that is going to make a huge difference. Im also expecting a slightly different approach from him when it comes to how he handles the press.

There is a continuing misconception here about Jim's "closeness" with his players. Whoever Jim receives an award, a huge percentage of former players show up to celebrate with him. They come to games whenever they can. That work out at the Melo Center with his encouragement. They keep in touch with him.

Last edited:
There is a continuing misconception here about Jim's "closeness" with his players. Whoever Jim receives an award, a huge percentage of them show up to celebrate with him. They come to games whenever they can. That work out at the Melo Center with his encouragement. They keep in touch with him.
Agreed. However there are many that have to endure the JB " touch" FH being the most recent. My point is that Jim will change and i think for the better.

Agreed. However there are many that have to endure the JB " touch" FH being the most recent. My point is that Jim will change and i think for the better.
Ya know, maybe some of what you are seeing/projecting here is actually a result of the way Frank Howard has responded to Jim's coaching in recent years, which has been inspiring. You heard Frank praising his coach in the ACC press briefing, didn't you?

IMO, JB uses his "hard on players" approach because it produces results in the short amount of time you have to develop a team that can win. Unlearning bad habits is especially difficult on the fly and the negative reinforcement in a group teaching session helps players to focus while the game is flying by.

When he's not actually coaching them in an instruction setting, it appears he is able to communicate to them that he appreciates them as young men. As CTO has pointed out, the evidence we see is that his former players appear to feel grateful for all that 'Coach' was able to to add to their understanding of the game.

All this to say that I don't think JB has a problem with his players fearing his wrath and maybe becoming psychologically damaged when they are exposed to it.

Ya know, maybe some of what you are seeing/projecting here is actually a result of the way Frank Howard has responded to Jim's coaching in recent years, which has been inspiring. You heard Frank praising his coach in the ACC press briefing, didn't you?
I thought that moment was very telling. Although the question was asked of Frank, JB chimed in after Frank was finished and had nothing but praise for Frank. He even appeared to get a little emotional at the end. Pretty obvious they are solid after seeing that.

nah jb will be jb ---there will always be the sarcasm, which i enjoy by the way. there will always be 1 player is a dog house,there will be the surly responses to local press, etc etc . there will always be a dedication to his players, to his charities and his spontaneous visits to fans. jb is the face of su and in many ways of cny. i am glad he is.
like all of us he has his "moments" ---he is an upstate guy all the way despite travelling in high end circles.