Buffalo @ Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo @ Syracuse

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
Just curious when the last time another team from NY was ranked ahead of Syracuse when playing in the carrier dome.

Had to be Mullins St John's team right? Maybe Bonnies in the 70s before that?

We already had a week where football was ranked and basketball wasn't which was a while but the whole "NY's College Team" is directly in the sights of Buffalo.

Not gonna lie though, I like the opportunity and its good to see a team that has traditionally been considered one of the Syracuse's Schedule "sister of the poor" to be doing well.

Sorry if covered in another thread...

Last edited:
its good to see a team that has traditionally been considered one of the Syracuse's Schedule "sister of the poor" to be doing well.
How does a good buffalo help Syracuse? I’m still waiting for one legit rebuttal.

Just curious when the last time another team from NY was ranked ahead of Syracuse when playing in the carrier dome.

We already had a week where football was ranked and basketball wasn't which was a while but the whole "NY's College Team" is directly in the sights of Buffalo.

Not gonna lie though, I like the opportunity and its good to see a team that has traditionally been considered one of the Syracuse's Schedule "sister of the poor" to be doing well.

I believe you are correct. Below are the list of the 22 (who knew????) D-1 basketball teams in NYS. I don't see another team there that could possibly be ranked higher than Syracuse since 1980. After a quick check of rankings/schedules, it appears the last time a ranked team from NYS played in the Dome was in January 2000, when #25 St. John's visited, losing to Syracuse 63-57 to run SU's record to 18-0.

Albany
Army
Binghamton
Buffalo
Canisius
Colgate
Columbia
Cornell
Fordham
Hofstra
Iona
LIU
Manhattan
Marist
Niagara
St. Bonaventure (Bonnies haven't been ranked since 70-71 - but the Dome didn't exist then)
St. Francis
St.John's
Siena
Stony Brook
Syracuse
Wagner

See this post by SWC. I think it kind of answers your question, although it only focuses on Upstate NY and not all of New York.

My Take

I remember Cornell around 16th once, but believe we were higher at the time. (2012ish)

Last edited:
1999, 9th ranked St Johns beat 17th ranked Cuse at the Dome, 75-70.

Those Ron Artest, Erick Barkley, Bootsy Thornton teams were really good.

How does a good buffalo help Syracuse? I’m still waiting for one legit rebuttal.

Our scheduling isn’t that good but they boost our rpi or whatever the new thing is big time so on paper our SOS isn’t too far off a Duke or Kansas who look to play other blue bloods ooc regularly which we haven’t done in over a decade. Not a recruiting threat so people think it’s cool they are good.

A good P5 calibre Buffalo is the exact opposite of helping Syracuse.

There’s no positives that comes with that, for Cuse fans, other than an in state matchup that we would concede to call a rivalry before the end of time.

90's st johns probably had a few ranked teams - ron artest, zendon hamilton,

January 27, 1999 St. Johns was ranked #9 in the country and beat the 17th ranked Orange in the Dome 75-70. St. Johns was ranked #25 the following year coming to SU, the last time a ranked NY team played the Orange in the dome.

1999, 9th ranked St Johns beat 17th ranked Cuse at the Dome, 75-70.

Those Ron Artest, Erick Barkley, Bootsy Thornton teams were really good.

Don't forget Lavor Postell.