Buffalo Writer Suggest UB drop to FCS | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Writer Suggest UB drop to FCS

I agree...the most damning thing is only 5 comments all day about the article. If Syracuse.com wrote that article about SU there would be hundreds of comments.

Bucky Gleason: Allen Greene's exit opens door to another opportunity for UB
I agree football will always lose millions and have no support at UB. If they downgrade, I can't help feeling sad for all the good football players from upstate NY UB gives out scholarships to. If the Bills ever move, everything changes and they could be a force to be reckoned with.

I agree football will always lose millions and have no support at UB. If they downgrade, I can't help feeling sad for all the good football players from upstate NY UB gives out scholarships to. If the Bills ever move, everything changes and they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Do FBS schools give out scholarships? I wouldn’t think with NYS’s free tuition that scholarships would be that costly to Buffalo. (Room and board).

Do FBS schools give out scholarships? I wouldn’t think with NYS’s free tuition that scholarships would be that costly to Buffalo. (Room and board).
FBS schools have up to 85 scholarships to work with. FCS have only 63.

Buffalo will cease to exist before the Bills move.

If they drop football they'll likely have to leave the MAC. For their basketball team to thrive (that was the hope of the writer) they'd have to land themselves in the Big East. Not too many conferences are major BBall and no football.

Yes FBS schools give schollies, that's the level we play at along with the G5 teams like buffalo in a great league like the MAC. Even the FCS schools like Colgate and Ualbany and Villanova give scholarships. Not sure what your point is?

free tuition still means it gets paid for just out of a different bucket. dont the schools still have to foot that part of the bill in some way?

free tuition still means it gets paid for just out of a different bucket. dont the schools still have to foot that part of the bill in some way?

It’s might be a different bucket in the state budget since the free tuition is for every state school, community college etc. UB’s specific budget for athletic scholarships may be a separate subset.

Ish, I was asking the questions regarding Tomcat’s worry regarding the loss of scholarships for Upstate NY football players who play for UB.

It's a way out to make mucho $$$ being in tbe mac with other sports. UB has been very whackado about playing G5. Actually, educate me, are they still independent or in the MAC?

It's a way out to make mucho $$$ being in tbe mac with other sports. UB has been very whackado about playing G5. Actually, educate me, are they still independent or in the MAC?
They've become quite competitive in both FB and BB in the MAC.
SU's and Syracuse's own Felisha Legette-Jack is coaching the women's BB team to great success this year.

And free tuition is only for NYS residents

I read, way back, that UMass was getting paid $1.2 mil to play so n so.. if that's how it works(dunno), couldn't they lose more $$ dropping down?

Lance Liepold is just getting his program on track, what if he dominates the MAC?

Really, if it was just a business decision, most of these schools should be dropping football.
I think business decisions are the reason many schools continue to field the highest level teams they can. It involves the relationship of alumni pride and donations.

I think business decisions are the reason many schools continue to field the highest level teams they can. It involves the relationship of alumni pride and donations.

I think that's true in a few places (largely the ones where football is actually a revenue producing sport), but not at Buffalo, UMASS, Old Dominion, etc.

Don't they get paid more per game at the FBS level? Isn't that why FCS schools will play up a game?(payday)

My thought is they lose less $$ at the FBS level.(dunno)

I thought ODU was profitable? Sell outs since 2009, expanding stadium, etc. No?

It's free for NYS high school graduates to go to SUNY schools now?

FBS schools have up to 85 scholarships to work with. FCS have only 63.
FCS also allows you to spread scholarships out so you can get more bodies. One ship can be given to two players, half of a schollie each. Fairly common practice at U of Montana.

sadder still is that they put more players into the NFL than syracuse. syracuse you should be ashamed.

Jesus. Drop baseball and soccer entirely, now this?

Their football team produced arguably the most dominant defender of the past 3 years and is still on track to be an annual bowl team.

Their basketball team is top 25 RPI currently.

Stop wasting money on rebranding efforts.

Not surprised that SU fans and alumni believe that the largest in-state public school should drop to FCS level. No bias there. :rolleyes:

It’s not going to happen.

The MAC isn’t ACC or SEC level but they are competitive with other G5 conferences and it’s very rare that schools move backward in recent time. UAB is moving back to FBS and many other schools have recently made the move up including ODU and Liberty. Who in recent time other than Idaho (because conference went poof) made the move down?

Not surprised that SU fans and alumni believe that the largest in-state public school should drop to FCS level. No bias there. :rolleyes:

It’s not going to happen.

The MAC isn’t ACC or SEC level but they are competitive with other G5 conferences and it’s very rare that schools move backward in recent time. UAB is moving back to FBS and many other schools have recently made the move up including ODU and Liberty. Who in recent time other than Idaho (because conference went poof) made the move down?
SUNY at Buffalo shouldn't drop to fcs. Dropping would pull money out of the athletic program, and the school by extension.

The football team "loses" money on paper, but it's probably wildly profitable, which is why so many peer institutions trip over themselves to field FBS squads.

And to clarify the tuition that the athletic dept. is billed for each scholarship is probably <<< SUNY at Buffalo's actual variable cost for each student, meaning the athletic department's costs are overstated. Therefore, since there is no mirroring revenue overstatement, the profitability is understated, and the athletic department and many of its programs probably look like they're in the red.