C.J. was VERY lucky | Syracusefan.com

C.J. was VERY lucky

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
At the 4:42 mark he leaned/slid into a backcourt screen that absolutely decked Cobb. I mean he dropped like a bag of hammers and never made it back into the play when Dirty hit that crazy one handed baseline no-angle bankshot. The announcers didn't mention it and watching the replay just now no ref was actually looking at it. The ref right next to it was looking up the court and the far one must have been screened by a Cal player right in front of him.

With all the calls this year, that backcourt pick could very easily have been ruled an "excessive contact'' flagrant 2 and resulted in an ejection.

Not that it wasn't awesome.

Did you watch the Michigan-VCU game? That Mitch McGarrity guy had like six that were worse. If it is a clean pick where the person is blindsided excessive contact can happen. Not even close to a flagrant.

Did you watch the Michigan-VCU game? That Mitch McGarrity guy had like six that were worse. If it is a clean pick where the person is blindsided excessive contact can happen. Not even close to a flagrant.
Not even close to a foul at all.

On the other hand, when CJ puts the ball on the floor and goes to the basket drawing contact, he gets fouled almost every time, but the refs don't call it nearly enough, esp in crunch time.

At the 4:42 mark he leaned/slid into a backcourt screen that absolutely decked Cobb. I mean he dropped like a bag of hammers and never made it back into the play when Dirty hit that crazy one handed baseline no-angle bankshot. The announcers didn't mention it and watching the replay just now no ref was actually looking at it. The ref right next to it was looking up the court and the far one must have been screened by a Cal player right in front of him.

With all the calls this year, that backcourt pick could very easily have been ruled an "excessive contact'' flagrant 2 and resulted in an ejection.

That was not a foul and sure as hell wouldn't have been a flagrant 1, much less a flagrant 2. This whole flagrant foul thing has gone beyond out of control this tournament. Real tired of it.

On the other hand, when CJ puts the ball on the floor and goes to the basket drawing contact, he gets fouled almost every time, but the refs don't call it nearly enough, esp in crunch time.
He should have had 3 and-1's, including his first basket of the game.

That wasn't a foul. He can pick all he wants. The severety of the pick is based on the speed of the Cal players, not CJ. And he has a right to brace himself.

Clean pick. The Cal guy's teammates should have called out a pick. The guy was completeky blindsided. Either that or he was trying to make a meal out of it

Clean pick. The Cal guy's teammates should have called out a pick. The guy was completeky blindsided. Either that or he was trying to make a meal out of it

That was the best Syracuse pick since AO's agains UNC.

Nah he wasnt making a meal of it he got destroyed but it wasn't a foul at all. CJ was established with both feet when the guy bounced off him. Made me think of my HS linebacker coach always screaming "head on a swivel!" to avoid shots like that.

What are you talking about? Fair was standing there. It was a perfectly legal screen.

Clean pick and besides, the refs NEVER call fouls like that in the back court. I still hate it when a player with the ball follows behind a teammate up the court who gets in the way of a defender. That is a moving pick but is never called.

CJ was also very lucky that when MCW fell to the ground and rolled up on his knee, that it didn't do any damage. I had a horrible vision of MCW getting a concussion and CJ ripping up his knee on the same play.

I saw that and from my limited viewpoint CJ nailed a great stationary screen that Cobb just never saw. His arms appeared to be vertical and not anywhere near Cobb's shoulders so I don't see how it would have been a foul. Cobb just ran into him full speed - ouch. That is on Cobb's teammate who was guarding CJ to warn Cobb that he was setting the screen. Cobb initiated the contact not CJ. Legal screens are effective and can be brutal when performed correctly. It wasn't a "slip" screen for sure.

He initiates a lot of the contact. I think that's the reason you don't see the whistle blown as much as it should. He has to be smarter though when he's going 1 on 3.

Clean pick and besides, the refs NEVER call fouls like that in the back court. I still hate it when a player with the ball follows behind a teammate up the court who gets in the way of a defender. That is a moving pick but is never called.
Like a pickle roll?

He should have had 3 and-1's, including his first basket of the game.

My biggest concern with CJ is his suddenly bad free throw shooting. He used to be automatic - our best guy at the line, now he's in the Brandon/MCW mold of 1 out of 2 at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom