Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

What do you mean by "ability?"

I'm not sure that JBA has the lateral mobility to effectively play the wing, but Edwards does. JBA can certainly shoot, which is why I think some project him to the 4.
i'll try to find the midnight madness skills challenge video. jba looked very good . . .

he can throw a football over them mountains
That’s funny but he really can dunk from the foul line.
The FSU offer is legit. Not sure about Cincy or Maryland
Cincy is legit. Adams Woods is there, coach already has relationship with CNY people.

He doesn't look so much old as unwell. He is what 35? I don't want to speculate but he had a rep and history while here. I hope he straightened himself out but the photo leaves a lot to be questioned.

well said. he definitely does not look like a person who has led a healthy life since college, just hope for the best with him.

What do you mean by "ability?"

I'm not sure that JBA has the lateral mobility to effectively play the wing, but Edwards does. JBA can certainly shoot, which is why I think some project him to the 4.

Rick Jackson didn't have great lateral ability and he played the wing defensively for periods of time. All depends on who else is on the floor, and the intelligence level of the player. Don't know that as I haven't seen him play enough.

Based on clips and highlights, it appears he has the offensive ability to play the 4 with another 5 on the floor. Not sure Edwards provides that same flexibility - he has a straight 5's offensive game. And again, it all depends who the other players are around them.

I think they both could offer flexibility if needed to play the wing. I am not sure I would rely on them for 40 minutes per game out there. Hopefully we can build some depth and have some different looks to throw at teams.

i'll try to find the midnight madness skills challenge video. jba looked very good . . .

I saw it.

I've also seen JBA practice. I'm basing my opinion on his ability to move his feet on the latter, not the former. He isn't a bad athlete -- at all -- he just isn't explosive like some of our bigs. His lateral mobility isn't impressive, although admittedly some of that might be attributable to him having to think and react slowly to his zone responsibilities.

He could be a "big" PF considering his shooting range -- but there's more to the game that just shooting [which is why Lydon, for example, was a bad fit as a 3 despite having great touch from three]. But I think he's probably a better fit manning the pivot in our system based upon seeing him in practice.

Yep. I was there. He looked better than Edwards. I was surprised he was the one who redshirted and Edwards did not.

Yep. I was there. He looked better than Edwards. I was surprised he was the one who redshirted and Edwards did not.

JBA missed a lot of time w an injury.
And I don’t think was quite 100% coming into last season.
That’s probably why he drew the short straw vs. Edwards as being the guy asked to RS.

If we get the local kid Ballard, ideally either he or Jesse takes a RS next season.

He's paid to be a homer. Not a lot of people going to want to pay for a subscription to have the head writer be a human embodiment of the Tape thread.
I haven't had a sub there for years, but I'd rather have a writer that tells it how it is. Ryan Murray, John Garcia, and the guy before him (Alkire?) did a good job of that. No need to be overly negative, but when every post is hyperbole it's tough to take serious.

Name a player that's worn 44 in the last 18 years? It's a big deal for fans, and SOME players. I don't think you can make that assumption.

This kid is honestly too young to understand the importance of that number

I saw it.

I've also seen JBA practice. I'm basing my opinion on his ability to move his feet on the latter, not the former. He isn't a bad athlete -- at all -- he just isn't explosive like some of our bigs. His lateral mobility isn't impressive, although admittedly some of that might be attributable to him having to think and react slowly to his zone responsibilities.

He could be a "big" PF considering his shooting range -- but there's more to the game that just shooting [which is why Lydon, for example, was a bad fit as a 3 despite having great touch from three]. But I think he's probably a better fit manning the pivot in our system based upon seeing him in practice.
oh, don't get me wrong; i dont' think either one of them will be anything but a 5 here

just have to point out that all information may be coming from his mom. his biggest offer was from missouri state until he popped out of nowhere on the net. hopefully its legit but the hairs on my neck are still a little tingly . . .

I don't know. Mike and Donna have been pretty proactive recently in telling fans what's a real offer and what isn't. No rebuttals from the coaching staff yet.

I don't know. Mike and Donna have been pretty proactive recently in telling fans what's a real offer and what isn't. No rebuttals from the coaching staff yet.
1. the staff can't comment one way or another
2. mike said on twitter his info came from the mom

1. the staff can't comment one way or another
2. mike said on twitter his info came from the mom

I'm assuming in the recent past they checked with the coaches before saying that the teams on some kid's list are more wishful thinking than not. How else would they know? That hasn't happened here. I know the coaches can't comment directly. That doesn't stop them from putting info out there through the media.

Name a player that's worn 44 in the last 18 years? It's a big deal for fans, and SOME players. I don't think you can make that assumption.

Good point. I would say it's less about seeing players on the court and more that 44 is literally plastered everywhere Syracuse is. Just my own opinion. I don't think it's a coincidence he wears 15 and 44.

You'd be surprised by kid's indifference to things like that then
Ok, so...his mother is very active in his recruitment, from what it appears. Assuming she also grew up in Syracuse, maybe SHE is the Syracuse fan and the one who suggested the 15 and 44. Still not a bad thing in our favor, if true.

I haven't had a sub there for years, but I'd rather have a writer that tells it how it is. Ryan Murray, John Garcia, and the guy before him (Alkire?) did a good job of that. No need to be overly negative, but when every post is hyperbole it's tough to take serious.
Agree, I usually sign up whenever there is a special going on for like $1/month or whatever when football signing day is approaching.

Personally, I think Edwards might end up as a 4.
Definitely a interesting topic of discussion. I could see them both and that would give us some serious size down low. Jesse does seem more agile/athletic to cover the wing but I really like the fact that JBA could stretch the floor offensively. Kid can really shoot.