Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Looks like joel embiid. Plays like joel gray.

No. This kid has a huge upside. I'll be disappointed in human nature if he doesn't come here. Why wouldn't he want to play in front of friends and family. Why wouldn't he want to go to his Mom's alma mater. When everyone else in this world is staying close to home due to the pandemic why would he go 2000 miles away. Nothing adds up except Syracuse. Leonard Hamilton hasn't won bupkis. Plus it's his Mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom. I'm going to the University of Syracuse.

Think about this...his mom graduated from Syracuse and we are in the middle of a pandemic and we still might not land a center? I get it he just came out radar but it’s more than that. Somethings wrong here.. and I don’t want to hear about the Fab Melo glory days...they weren’t so glorifying at the end when the staff dropped the ball and he didn’t qualify for the NCAA tournament which ruined our chances at a title shot...with all due respect to Allen Griffin he was a guard and never a center...I have always felt that this was a major problem we never replaced when it came to recruiting big men. Just my opinion and on that front we don’t have a 1 percent change of getting this guy we have at least 30 since he got rid of another school

Last edited:

No. This kid has a huge upside. I'll be disappointed in human nature if he doesn't come here. Why wouldn't he want to play in front of friends and family. Why wouldn't he want to go to his Mom's alma mater. When everyone else in this world is staying close to home due to the pandemic why would he go 2000 miles away. Nothing adds up except Syracuse. Leonard Hamilton hasn't won bupkis. Plus it's his Mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom. I'm going to the University of Syracuse.
For what it is worth, FSU already has allocated 13 scholarships for 2020. Now that may or may not mean anything because not sure if anyone on their current roster has declared for the NBA Draft. Now, bringing in a 2* player, and having to drop someone off the current roster is not as easy.

For what it is worth, FSU already has allocated 13 scholarships for 2020. Now that may or may not mean anything because not sure if anyone on their current roster has declared for the NBA Draft. Now, bringing in a 2* player, and having to drop someone off the current roster is not as easy.
Vassell, Patrick Williams declared and are staying in.

Clearly in this recruitment cycle SU has really gone after a center recruit. The first option appears to have been getting a center who could have an immediate impact, preferably next year (Tape) or the following (west coast kid). That didn't pan out, so plan B is ironically recruiting a player in our back yard (Quincy). I really like the upside that appears evident on his tapes. He would be considered a "project" but so is our current underclassmen centers. I'm guessing that if he had played at a school like Brewster, maybe he wouldn't have started but he would have gotten a lot more attention before this late date.

Have no idea what the staff intends to do going forward but most likely as others have said Quincy would benefit from another year as a redshirt. If so, I hope he and his family are OK with that. If he were to sign with SU and comes in and knocks it out of the park in the preseason that changes the decision making. I trust JB to make those decisions, along with Quincy that are in the best interests of the player as well as the program. Quincy has terrific upside, maybe more than the current centers on the roster. Lets hope we see it unfold at SU.

I definitely want the young man, but this whole top 4, top 3 thing for a kid not even ranked is so dumb. I'm not sure which is more fun, watching this recruitment unfold or the semifinals of marble racing.

Mom is certainly playing this to the fullest. She may have a lot of local people upset if he chooses to go elsewhere. I’m not that excited about this kid. If he signs ok, but he won’t be a factor for a couple of years. I‘m more interested in Etienne, but it appears we’re losing ground with this kid.

Think about this...his mom graduated from Syracuse and we are in the middle of a pandemic and we still might not land a center? I get it he just came out radar but it’s more than that. Somethings wrong here.. and I don’t want to hear about the Fab Melo glory days...they weren’t so glorifying at the end when the staff dropped the ball and he didn’t qualify for the NCAA tournament which ruined our chances at a title shot...with all due respect to Allen Griffin he was a guard and never a center...I have always felt that this was a major problem we never replaced when it came to recruiting big men. Just my opinion and on that front we don’t have a 1 percent change of getting this guy we have at least 30 since he got rid of another school

“the staff dropped the ball” on Fab??
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Per NCAA regs, the only thing JB and staff are allowed to know about their players academics, is if they are eligible, or not.

This is SPECIFICALLY so that coaches can’t put pressure on professors or other academic advisors to “fix things” so that Player X is eligible.

I’ll cut Fab a ton of slack given he was ESL, only English was maybe his 3rd or 4th best language.

But at the end of the day, the kids need to do the work required to remain eligible.

And now, back to Quincy Ballard’s recruitment - already in progress! ;)

You wonder if any family members played ball. Seven footers generally don't grow on trees. Remember when some people wrongly speculated that DC2 was the son of DC due to a slight facial resemblance.
Good question. But, have you seen that Taco Fall’s parents are 6’ and 5’9?

Please see the underlined, from your quote above; contrary to many views about the Fab Mello situation, it wasn't the basketball staff that didn't do its best to support Fab academically; there were other factors that could not be discussed, at the time, and I will not reveal now. The NCAA went after JAB; they didn't appreciate his honesty when publically discussing the flaws in the way they handle their duties.
Jay Billis was a strong supporter of how the NCAA poorly treated Coach.
If you want, I will discuss this, with you; off from the public forum.

“the staff dropped the ball” on Fab??
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Per NCAA regs, the only thing JB and staff are allowed to know about their players academics, is if they are eligible, or not.

This is SPECIFICALLY so that coaches can’t put pressure on professors or other academic advisors to “fix things” so that Player X is eligible.

I’ll cut Fab a ton of slack given he was ESL, only English was maybe his 3rd or 4th best language.

But at the end of the day, the kids need to do the work required to remain eligible.

And now, back to Quincy Ballard’s recruitment - already in progress! ;)
Please see the underlined, from your quote above; contrary to many views about the Fab Mello situation, it wasn't the basketball staff that didn't do its best to support Fab academically; there were other factors that could not be discussed, at the time, and I will not reveal now. The NCAA went after JAB; they didn't appreciate his honesty when publically discussing the flaws in the way they handle their duties.
Jay Billis was a strong supporter of how the NCAA poorly treated Coach.
If you want, I will discuss this, with you; off from the public forum.
This is NOT a thread about Fab Melo. This is a thread about the recruitment of Quincy Ballard. Period.

But you knew that.

My two cents that absolutely no one cares about. I think it never hurts to take centers, especially big 7 footers who can alter the middle of the zone on defense. That’s why I wanted us to get one this offseason. If it works out great, if not then it’s not a huge deal. My list was 1- Morgan 2- Haarms 3- Ballard 4-Tape. So yes, I do want this kid. He is 7 foot and is young. Will have time to develop. If he doesn’t develop then most likely he will eventually transfer. Not like we currently need the scholarship or are going to use it somewhere else. If he pans out great, and if he doesn’t it’s not a huge deal. It gives us another big body to try to develop in the middle of the zone.

Yes...and that's why Fab is a great example of the hypocrisy of college basketball really having much to do with academics.
He never should have been recruited by any English language school that actually expects students to do genuine college level work.

As for Quincy Ballard...is there some new NCAA rule requiring Syracuse to recruit only projects to play center?
How many do the Orange need on the roster?

Maybe he'll develop into a top player.
But that rarely seems to work.
Rony Seikaly is the only Boeheim-era big man who managed to do it...coming in with high hopes and little more.
It took Rakeem Christmas 3 seasons...but Rak had a solid high school pedigree.

You wonder if any family members played ball. Seven footers generally don't grow on trees. Remember when some people wrongly speculated that DC2 was the son of DC due to a slight facial resemblance.
and surname

He looks a lot like embid...if he chooses cuse, I hope he plays like him. I think embid was an unknown out of high school and actually outperformed a 5 star on the Kansas roster?

This is NOT a thread about Fab Melo. This is a thread about the recruitment of Quincy Ballard. Period.

But you knew that.
And because of that...
9EFCD94A-BB75-408B-9C83-4E07533D9962.gif

What’s all the hype around this kid? Is he a one and done?