Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Whether it was his best game or not, he had 2 pts 2 rebs.
I noticed he played a season high 13 minutes in that one, so by default I guess it was his best game

Surprised ppl ragging so hard on a 7 foot center. People dont seem to know how development happens at that size. Theres not a ton of Embids out there.

Surprised ppl ragging so hard on a 7 foot center. People dont seem to know how development happens at that size. Theres not a ton of Embids out there.

I don't see it as "ragging." He doesn't seem to fit our system, with his lack of mobility.

And while the kid has potential / compelling size, his performance at FSU suggests that he might not be able to actualize that potential in terms of being a high major player.

Finally, I think we have bigger needs at Guard / Forward than at center, as things currently stand. Could that change? Possibly -- but if we need to add a player, I'd much prefer upgrades at those two positions than in the post.

I don't see it as "ragging." He doesn't seem to fit our system, with his lack of mobility.

And while the kid has potential / compelling size, his performance at FSU suggests that he might not be able to actualize that potential in terms of being a high major player.

Finally, I think we have bigger needs at Guard / Forward than at center, as things currently stand. Could that change? Possibly -- but if we need to add a player, I'd much prefer upgrades at those two positions than in the post.
Any thoughts on the how quiet it has been so far with nothing said as far as anyone transferring out or potentially in. If the exit interviews haven't taken place yet, as I believe have been reported, do you think it's odd at all that the season has been over for two weeks and they have not taken place yet.

If we're looking to add a center we can do way better finding one that fits our system. He looks like a mid major type of talent to me.

If we're looking to add a center we can do way better finding one that fits our system. He looks like a mid major type of talent to me.
Center is the one position the team is rock solid, so long Jesse, and Frank return. Jesse is a stud, and Frank showed a lot of potential when Jesse got hurt.

Any thoughts on the how quiet it has been so far with nothing said as far as anyone transferring out or potentially in. If the exit interviews haven't taken place yet, as I believe have been reported, do you think it's odd at all that the season has been over for two weeks and they have not taken place yet.

Probably not that big of a deal -- not sure when the SU spring break schedule is.

But I think we should see quick decisions one way or the other. In my mind, the big issues are:
  • Does Cole Swider dip his toe in the water, just to go through the process [I expect him to]
  • Does Frank enter the portal in search of greener pastures / clearer path to starting role [50/50]
  • Will Benny pull a reversal and bail?
If all three come back, that's obviously best case scenario. I don't think that JBA leaving moves the needle one way or the other.

Probably not that big of a deal -- not sure when the SU spring break schedule is.

But I think we should see quick decisions one way or the other. In my mind, the big issues are:
  • Does Cole Swider dip his toe in the water, just to go through the process [I expect him to]
  • Does Frank enter the portal in search of greener pastures / clearer path to starting role [50/50]
If all three come back, that's obviously best case scenario. I don't think that JBA leaving moves the needle one way or the other.

Spring Break was last week.

There were no football practices.

I agree on all counts. The only thing I disagree slightly on is JBA. If he leaves, it opens up the opportunity for us to improve by adding another forward. How the coaches would sell an opportunity to a grad transfer, I don't know? If Cole and Benny come back, they sure look like the starting forwards, and what grad transfer wants to come to be a backup? Also, if we could somehow get a starting forward, it would be best for the team and fans, but Cole or Benny would definitely be affected and how would they respond?

Center is the one position the team is rock solid, so long Jesse, and Frank return. Jesse is a stud, and Frank showed a lot of potential when Jesse got hurt.
Yeah, I don't think there's much of a chance we use our last couple spots on a C unless Frank leaves. There's been some speculation that he might but we'll see. If we have Jesse and Frank coming back it's the strongest position on our roster.

Yeah, I don't think there's much of a chance we use our last couple spots on a C unless Frank leaves. There's been some speculation that he might but we'll see. If we have Jesse and Frank coming back it's the strongest position on our roster.
I really hope he stays, and the staff should figure out a way to get him on the floor for at least 20 minutes per game and not completely at the expense of Jesse, because he needs to be on the floor for 30.

I really hope he stays, and the staff should figure out a way to get him on the floor for at least 20 minutes per game and not completely at the expense of Jesse, because he needs to be on the floor for 30.
The issue is that unless Jesse expands his game, they both are pretty much useless outside of the paint so it's hard to play the two of them together. Even more difficult if we lose Cole because we'll be strained for shooting even outside of Jesse/Frank. I have no doubt Frank could handle the wing on defense but a projected lineup of, for example, Symir, Joe, Benny/Freshman, Frank, and Jesse is going to be super ugly if Jesse can't step out and hit jumpers.

The issue is that unless Jesse expands his game, they both are pretty much useless outside of the paint so it's hard to play the two of them together. Even more difficult if we lose Cole because we'll be strained for shooting even outside of Jesse/Frank. I have no doubt Frank could handle the wing on defense but a projected lineup of, for example, Symir, Joe, Benny/Freshman, Frank, and Jesse is going to be super ugly if Jesse can't step out and hit jumpers.
I totally agree. But, for 5 minutes per half, maybe we can have them play together. Offensively, I think we could work it out. I think Jesse could operate from the foul line with three shooters and Frank looking at a high low feed. Defensively, I think one of them (likely Frank) could play forward and cover a lot of space and be a great rebounder. It would definitely change our offense, whatever our offense is. But, in my opinion, that would be a good thing. Defenses couldn't just settle in and play against the same offense all game.

THIS ^^^^

I agree that the D portion of playing Jesse and Frank should be fine, as they both are rangy and agile.
But the O would be pretty ugly.

I know we used to do the 2 bigs things w/ AO and RickJack to very good effect, could Jesse & Frank provide some semblance of that on O?

That's the big question.

THIS ^^^^

I agree that the D portion of playing Jesse and Frank should be fine, as they both are rangy and agile.

I know we used to do the 2 bigs things w/ AO and RickJack to very good effect, could Jesse & Frank provide some semblance of that on O?

That's the big question.
It seems like UNC does that a lot. Two bigs crashing the boards for put backs.

I totally agree. But, for 5 minutes per half, maybe we can have them play together. Offensively, I think we could work it out. I think Jesse could operate from the foul line with three shooters and Frank looking at a high low feed. Defensively, I think one of them (likely Frank) could play forward and cover a lot of space and be a great rebounder. It would definitely change our offense, whatever our offense is. But, in my opinion, that would be a good thing. Defenses couldn't just settle in and play against the same offense all game.
Who do you have in mind for this? If Cole doesn't come back, we may only have one player ready to play that can shoot.

THIS ^^^^

That's the big question.
A ton of teams play with two bigs. UNC used to kill us with two bigs, and neither of them could shoot. This year Manek can shoot. But, in previous years they just had two bigs. What you lose on the shooting end, you make up with offensive rebounds, or at least that is the difference on paper.

Who do you have in mind for this? If Cole doesn't come back, we may only have one player ready to play that can shoot.
Yeah, Cole is crucial to this equation. With Cole, the three shooters become Cole, Joe and whoever the point guard is, and that means not when Symir is in. Although, two shooters can be enough. But, if Symir is in, his man likely doubles Jesse and makes things difficult. With three shooters, at least Jesse can dish it out to the open man for an easy three when he gets doubled.

A ton of teams play with two bigs. UNC used to kill us with two bigs, and neither of them could shoot. This year Manek can shoot. But, in previous years they just had two bigs. What you lose on the shooting end, you make up with offensive rebounds, or at least that is the difference on paper.
I’m not advocating for a team with no shooters but

Yeah, Cole is crucial to this equation. With Cole, the three shooters become Cole, Joe and whoever the point guard is, and that means not when Symir is in. Although, two shooters can be enough. But, if Symir is in, his man likely doubles Jesse and makes things difficult. With three shooters, at least Jesse can dish it out to the open man for an easy three when he gets doubled.

I know it was on a ridiculously low volume of shots, but -
Sy shot better from 3 this past season than Buddy did.
And pretty much equal to Jimmy.

We don't need him to be a volume chucker, or take logo heat-checks, just keep the D honest by hitting the open 3 when it's there.

I do agree that Cole returning will be absolutely key, and we're kinda screwed bigly if he doesn't.

I’m not advocating for a team with no shooters but

I think that you have to roll with what you've got. You build your roster with intent. And, when you are done building your roster, you figure out how all of the pieces fit together. When you are adamant about fitting guys in to your "system" stringently, it weakens the players and the team. I think currently, we have a team that can be good. Hopefully all the key guys return. The guys that we add, should only be added if they can make us better NEXT year. A good grad transfer PG that can lead this team, play good defense and be a threat from the perimeter and a PF type with some low post moves and add some toughness down low.

I know it was on a ridiculously low volume of shots, but -
Sy shot better from 3 this past season than Buddy did.
And pretty much equal to Jimmy.

We don't need him to be a volume chucker, or take logo heat-checks, just keep the D honest by hitting the open 3 when it's there.

I do agree that Cole returning will be absolutely key, and we're kinda screwed bigly if he doesn't.
Yeah, Sy's numbers look good and I am not saying that you have to have perfect form to be considered a good shooter, but damn his shot was ugly last year. I would prefer to see his form improve, but I like him as is, as well.