Cal pushing the envelope again | Syracusefan.com

Cal pushing the envelope again

Wow. Dakari Johnson is a sophomore already. Kids sure do grow up fast.

It's a smart idea and it can potentially be a great recruiting chip.

But I also feel like Cal's recruiting classes can't get much better than they already are. Every year they get top talent and then the rest of the top talent goes elsewhere because those spots are filled. :noidea:

It's brilliant, but it's an idea that could easily be duplicated by another 8-10 "blue blood" schools.

Not every program could hold this type of showcase, but teams with multiple 5-star recruits on their rosters (Kansas, UNC, Duke, Arizona, Louisville, UCLA, Michigan State, 'Cuse, etc) probably could.

Again, even though others "could" do it, this is still a great idea for Kentucky.

It's a great idea... Imagine Cal working for TGD and the innovative ideas those two would have...

When does practice can officially start?

Does he have clearance from Emmert even if it is a violation

It's a great idea. Let his players play to the scouts in an environment built for it. The ESPN article mentioned that Cal would eliminate scouts from his practices-- another great idea. I'd go one step further and let the scouts talk with the players and tell them where they'd do in the draft...I guess that's not allowed. Probably would have kept Grant in school.

I find nothing wrong with this. Good recruiting tool.

During college we typically had two baseball showcases one in the summer and one during fall ball at our field with upwards to 15-30 MLB scouts. Exposure is a good thing for the players and professional leagues. It's typically not the scouts who give bad advice to these kids it's usually the vultures (bad parents, aau coaches, and friends).

My point was about the timing of the showcase. It's fine to invite all of them at once to see his team practice and to eliminate a constant stream of visits during the season, but the fact that he is doing this while hosting recruits is what blurs the line to me.

I say this knowing that SU can do the same, but like schools paying the insurance premiums for athletes as incentive for them to stay in school, it would seem as though the NCAA might want to stop this from becoming a common practice.