Calipari to use platoon system | Syracusefan.com

Calipari to use platoon system

Like Dean Smith used to do at UNC when he had a Blue team and a White team and would alternate them. It will work perfectly fine until they play another elite team (which isn't often). Then you need your 5 best guys on the floor.

Like Dean Smith used to do at UNC when he had a Blue team and a White team and would alternate them. It will work perfectly fine until they play another elite team (which isn't often). Then you need your 5 best guys on the floor.

He did say he would mix and match the 5-man teams depending on situations, which I took to mean he could have an A-team and a B-team for full game or parts of games.

It becomes very easy to do this when you have 9 McDonald's All Americans on your squad. That is more than every team in the NBA except the Charlotte Bobcats. Calapari is also going to have a scouting combine this month to allow NBA scouts several days to come in and look over his plethora of NBA talent and then he will close off the team practices to NBA scouts for the balance of the season.

All of this is tremendous for the game of college basketball. :bang:

It becomes very easy to do this when you have 9 McDonald's All Americans on your squad. That is more than every team in the NBA except the Charlotte Bobcats. Calapari is also going to have a scouting combine this month to allow NBA scouts several days to come in and look over his plethora of NBA talent and then he will close off the team practices to NBA scouts for the balance of the season.

But, but, he's just trying to do the best for his kids.

Oh no, a bunch of kids who will likely play pro basketball will show off their skills and get feedback from their future employers. College Basketball is ruined, yada yada yada.

I thought so too until I saw the exhibition games in the Bahamas.
Their frontcourt is absurdly talented, but you wonder if maybe they have too many options? I could see discord taking place.

Their frontcourt is absurdly talented, but you wonder if maybe they have too many options? I could see discord taking place.
That has really been Cal biggest problem with all these 5 star players. He has done a good j0b of getting them to play together most years. Some years (cue Robert Morris) he hasn't gotten the job done.

I think that is the point of the platoon system. All those guys will play roughly 18-22 minutes. The "problem" is finding one of those 5 guys to play the 3. Willie Cauley Stein can guard the 3 but not play the 3 on offense, Karl Towns and Trey Lyles are 2 of the most skilled bigs to come into college basketball in a long time but Towns can't guard the 3, Lyles I'm not sure about. Maybe pair Stien and Towns together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom