Can anyone explain the random artwork with this article? | Syracusefan.com

Can anyone explain the random artwork with this article?

cto

Administrator
NY Times Magazine (11/20/16) has an utterly unreadable article entitled "What's the Matter with College Basketball?"

Syracuse is not mentioned in the article. However, the primary art work accompanying it is a sad-looking Otto, complete with his Nike-swooshed hat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/m...s&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

If one does not read the article, he/she might think it was about Syracuse.

NY Times Magazine (11/20/16) has an utterly unreadable article entitled "What's the Matter with College Basketball?"

Syracuse is not mentioned in the article. However, the primary art work accompanying it is a sad-looking Otto, complete with his Nike-swooshed hat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/magazine/whats-the-matter-with-college-basketball.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/magazine&action=click&contentCollection=magazine&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Tar heels getting away scott free with fake classes summarizes all that's wrong with college basketball?

cto

Mediocre article.

My take on the Sad Otto artwork is that they were looking for a way to show that college hoops is currently a sad state of affairs. They couldn't be so sophomoric as to show a generic sad face, so they gave the iconic Otto that sort of look. I agree, it could come off to an outsider like SU has been contributing to the problems with college hoops. Still, I doubt the artist's intentions were deceitful. That being said, it was very misleading to use Otto's image.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/magazine/whats-the-matter-with-college-basketball.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/magazine&action=click&contentCollection=magazine&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Thamel probably got that picture in there. He's a self hating alum who has trashed SU for years.

The title of this thread drew me like a moth the flame, as if it were meant for me. I was sadly disappointed, as it wasnt some form of cipher, as I had hoped. Iommi said pretty much what I would have said, although I would have left off the part about "misleading". I think there was more inference than implication here, but we've all been there, and I dont mean on vacation.

Otto is one of the most recognizable mascots in college athletics, and maybe one of the ones that would have the most impact with a frown? I follow plenty of things that get labeled as "conspiracy theories", and I'm not seeing it here. Although the most recognizable figure at the university, other than Otto, was relatively recently stripped of 108 wins. If that isnt enough to make Otto frown, what in the heck is?!?!

If folks truly wanted to know, they could contact Cristiana Couceiro(try saying that five times quickly!) the artist who rendered the remorseful Otto. Wouldnt that be refreshing for a change?
Editor's note: I was impressed with the rendering and saved it to my hard drive for future use, possibly on here.

The title of this thread drew me like a moth the flame, as if it were meant for me. I was sadly disappointed, as it wasnt some form of cipher, as I had hoped. Iommi said pretty much what I would have said, although I would have left off the part about "misleading". I think there was more inference than implication here, but we've all been there, and I dont mean on vacation.

Otto is one of the most recognizable mascots in college athletics, and maybe one of the ones that would have the most impact with a frown? I follow plenty of things that get labeled as "conspiracy theories", and I'm not seeing it here. Although the most recognizable figure at the university, other than Otto, was relatively recently stripped of 108 wins. If that isnt enough to make Otto frown, what in the heck is?!?!

If folks truly wanted to know, they could contact Cristiana Couceiro(try saying that five times quickly!) the artist who rendered the remorseful Otto. Wouldnt that be refreshing for a change?
Editor's note: I was impressed with the rendering and saved it to my hard drive for future use, possibly on here.
It's really on the EDITOR of the piece because s/he would probably order the artwork. Where did the EDITOR get a degree from and did s/he maybe WANT to attend Newhouse but couldn't get in? Thamel is a columnist so it's probably not his call.

As for the author, those glasses he wears are tinted so heavily with Carolina Blue it's no wonder he thinks nothing of the academic scandals! #yawn #ThereIsNoneSoBlindAsHeWhoWILLnotSee

The artwork of Otto is a characterization of Boehiem . In regards to the question of the article , it is saying JB is one of the things wrong with college basketball.

Relax CTO and the board, I Twitterbombed the author, @jaycaspiankang a couple of times and had enough room the second tweet to invite @ to the beat down.

I'm @AndreaCGWW if you want to see the damage to him. Also other worthy targets.

And yes I praise the praiseworthy too.

Otto has become the symbol of college basketball!!!

f07f2b166998c32ca30e9ce04b5cc580.jpg

Interesting that the vast majority of the article was about UNC and the only 'slow 'pace team mentioned was UVA. Using Otto continues his focus on only ACC teams- could have at least mentioned the ridiculous sanctions handed down to SU and none to UNC and no look at practices at KY despite the obvious.

There was very limited arguments about what is wrong with college basketball.

Interesting that there's no mention of the early exits of so many players based on 'potential ' rather than readiness to play now. So many young men missing out on college years to end up in D league or worse. Their early exit has dramatically changed the dynamics of the game and all that surrounds it. Player development and experience is missing, changing the game completely.

Casual Fans have a harder time connecting to players so are less connected to the teams, and are less likely to turn on and/or show up.

It seems just a mascot sad at the state of college basketball, not a poke at SU.
I like it.

It's entirely likely the illustrator searched mascots, found a photo she liked and used it.
Cristiana Couriero is Portuguese and lives in Portugal.
She does the illustrations for the NYT Mag On Sports column.
But who knows if she'd ever heard of the Orange?

If anyone wants to find out...try emailing her:

7dias7@gmail.com

That illustration was done by Cristiana Couceiro, who is an illustrator based in Lisbon. She regularly creates illustrations for stories by the Times, the New Yorker, the Washington Post, etc.

ABOUT - cristiana couceiro

I think she looked for the happiest basketball related image she could find and made it sad. How artsy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom