Can BE Hoop schools make FB schools commit? | Syracusefan.com

Can BE Hoop schools make FB schools commit?

echosofmanley

Scout Team
The hoop schools are forcing a showdown.
They still have a very marketable hoop/olympic sports conf.in the eastern population centers. They can cherry pick the A10 and maybe Butler. ND is their ace in the hole unless big changes drastic. Even without Syracuse and the FB schools BE is still OK in lax.

Current BE FB schools are going to have to make a commit.
Something like huge exit fee or forfeit of TV rights?

It could happen. If you have nothing else set in stone and your Cinn for example. You have to stick with BE.

Now that Cuse is out of the mix, I see the hoop schools point.

The point is, the FB schools won't commit because the BB-onlies won't agree to expand. Catch-22.

This short-sighted behavior is why the BE fell apart in the first place. Too many differing agendas. For the hoops teams, this is the best example ever of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. If anyone thinks they will be relevant in 10-15 years if they split off, they are crazy. Will they still be there? Sure. Will they be the A-10? Yes. They will have some good teams, but nothing like the current BE (or future ACC :D).

They still have a very marketable hoop/olympic sports conf.in the eastern population centers. They can cherry pick the A10 and maybe Butler. ND is their ace in the hole unless big changes drastic. Even without Syracuse and the FB schools BE is still OK in lax.

It could happen. If you have nothing else set in stone and your Cinn for example. You have to stick with BE.

If we were still in Manley Field House (I miss that as a basketball venue) we'd hear the Sour Sitrus Society strike up "Amen" and sing it to the rest of the conference. Between the Providence mafia and the morons at Villanova, the basketball schools are going to literally force the football schools to flee to ANY conference they can land in. Right now, C-USA might be more attractive. This is becoming embarassing. Almost makes me feel sad for some of these schools.

Right now, the only one I want to see taken care of is WVU. They represent a traditional eastern football rival to many ACC teams and would add a solid school on the northern side of the ACC footprint. I know I know, academics. But perhaps we can focus on the people who come to town for games and bowls and less on academics. Somebody's got to be last in learnin', right?

Right now the basketball onlies need to realize they need to maintain good relations with the football schools. Down the road they will want to play the football schools for prestige and money and if they alienate all of the football schools then they will become Mid Majors. My feeling is as much as i would like to keep playing Georgetown, if the conference is vindictive to the point of not letting us move on, then we should not play any of their teams in the future. They wouldn't have the conference if not for our being good even in our bad years. They need to get over themselves.

Read Lenn Robbins piece Orangeyes posted its amazing. The Big East is considering raising the fee on football schools ONLY. "In fact, the level of animosity between the FBS schools and the non-FBS schools has escalated in recent days, The Post has learned. The league is considering raising the exit fee for FBS members to $10 million but keeping the fee for non-FBS members at $5 million, a source told The Post."
The basketball schools are trying to make a power play which is hilarious and shows how clueless they are, apparently Villanova is destroying Temple, and Notre Dame is being called out by the basketball schools. NEWSFLASH to Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul- NOTRE DAME is not with you guys if you split they want the football schools in the conference so they can have their cake and eat it too.

The league is considering raising the exit fee for FBS members to $10 million but keeping the fee for non-FBS members at $5 million, a source told The Post.

Well the BBall schools would never leave. Where would they go? The question is... does ND count as a BBall school? IMO at this point ND is the only thing holding things together. So increase their exit fee. If any FB schools leave going forward, who cares? They will just be replaced. You cannot replace ND.

Hoops schools should watch out. If they separate they may not like the consequences. Look at the NCAA BB champion for the last several years. Almost always a school in the football BCS. Not a coincidence. There was an article about this a couple years ago. Not sure where I saw it.

Well the BBall schools would never leave. Where would they go? The question is... does ND count as a BBall school? IMO at this point ND is the only thing holding things together. So increase their exit fee. If any FB schools leave going forward, who cares? They will just be replaced. You cannot replace ND.

Good point! Since GT, Nova, Providence, SHU, Marquette, DePaul and the Johnnies will never voluntarily leave the BE maybe they should increase the exit fee for the basketball schools (i.e. Notre Dame) to $50 million or so.

Hoops schools should watch out. If they separate they may not like the consequences. Look at the NCAA BB champion for the last several years. Almost always a school in the football BCS. Not a coincidence. There was an article about this a couple years ago. Not sure where I saw it.

Nah if Butler can make it so can the BBall schools. Non FB schools tend to have more SRs as the kids they recruit stay 4 years. Big advantage. Plus you only need one star to make a run. You don't need 25 guys like in FB.

Prov-mafia is a joke... Now they're trying to play chicken with the remaining FBS schools and can't grasp the fact that the fox has already raided the hen house and the ones left are outside running for cover...

The implosion is happening around them and their going to 'strongarm' schools that can't wait to bail?

It's comical...

The B-rate Friar Tuck Basketball League will be all that is left...

You have to think, too that State schools like RU and UConn would get quite a public backlash by non-alum/non-fan residents if they pushed to get out of the conference with a $18 million exit fee. Not something many taxpayers want to see.

It is obvious to any fan of a football school all the Big East leadership cares about is what is best for Providence College. The 3 commissioners of this league have been from Providence College. The leadership could have added football schools in the last couple of years, but didn't because they want to dilute the basketball, and have less sexy home games for Providence College.
Look at the Syracuse-Providence series and where the games have been played.
2011- @SU
2010- @SU, @PC
2009-@PC
2008-@SU
2007-@PC
2006-didn't play
2005- @PC, @SU
2004- @PC
2003-didn't play
2002- @PC
In last 10 years we have played in 8 years because of the unbalanced Big East schedule and played 10 times. Look at 2002-2007 I don't care that the Big East had divisions to get 1 home game in 5 years while playing 4 road games against a conference opponent is ridiculous.