Can Nate Hackett handle the job? | Syracusefan.com

Can Nate Hackett handle the job?

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
I'm done with Marrone, I'm already moving on.

The best case scenario would be for Hackett to be truly ready to take over as head coach of a BCS program. Is he?

I'm sure there are at least one or two people on this forum who have a bit of an idea as to whether he'd be capable at his young age to not only keep the program steady, but to possibly bring it to the next level that we were hoping Marrone was capable of doing but in the end wasn't patient or brave enough to find out.

He did a great job with the offense this season. Even during the poor start, I don't remember a lot of instances where I was pulling my hair out with his play calls. I think he improved tremendously with his decision making. Most of the poor decisions came from Marrone.

Hackett appears to be a bright young man. Coaching is in his genes, of course. Seems very energetic, and just has "it." Would likely be able to keep the current recruiting class.

The question is - is it too early for him?

I'm sure he could do a good job. I would definitely support that move. The only thing is if he is successful we will be in the same spot in 3 years. Let's face it this is going to be a stepping stone job going forward. If we can't keep one of our own happy, how the hell are we going to keep anyone else who is successful here?

Between Shafer and Hack, Hack is my choice. Hack is young and energetic... Let him run with what he has already been a big part of. Give Shafer a huge raise, along with the rest of the assistants to try and keep the staff together. I think that makes it as seamless as it will ever be with DM gone.

Bringing in an outside coach is NOT an option at this point. JMO.

The best case scenario would be for Hackett to be truly ready to take over as head coach of a BCS program. Is he?

I'm sure there are at least one or two people on this forum who have a bit of an idea as to whether he'd be capable at his young age to not only keep the program steady, but to possibly bring it to the next level that we were hoping Marrone was capable of doing but in the end wasn't patient or brave enough to find out.

He did a great job with the offense this season. Even during the poor start, I don't remember a lot of instances where I was pulling my hair out with his play calls. I think he improved tremendously with his decision making. Most of the poor decisions came from Marrone.

Hackett appears to be a bright young man. Coaching is in his genes, of course. Seems very energetic, and just has "it." Would likely be able to keep the current recruiting class.

whether it is to early or not, I think he has to be the guy. We need to keep the staff together as much as we can. And the recruits as well.

I'm sure he could do a good job. I would definitely support that move. The only thing is if he is successful we will be in the same spot in 3 years. Let's face it this is going to be a stepping stone job going forward. If we can't keep one of our own happy, how the hell are we going to keep anyone else who is successful here?
Guys stay at schools like syracuse for long periods all the time. Great coaches come along once every so often. But guys like g-rob don't come around all that often as well. We'll be okay. I hope.

Like Hackett, but can he keep the staff together? Will other assistants want to come coach under a young guy that is not that established yet?

Guys stay at schools like syracuse for long periods all the time. Great coaches come along once every so often. But guys like g-rob don't come around all that often as well. We'll be okay. I hope.

unfortunately i have the feeling hackett has much bigger goals in mind. there is a reason DM is leaving, unless that is addressed anyone who is successful will split as well

Like Hackett, but can he keep the staff together? Will other assistants want to come coach under a young guy that is not that established yet?

That's a huge part of it - what kind of contacts does he have and can he surround himself with quality assistants? Both knowledgeable and good recruiting abilities.

I think you're all looney tunes.

Naming Hack HC is the best outcome?

Good gravy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I really, really like Hack but I wouldn't have a problem with any of the other assistants previously discussed.

Is he ready? Since the kid was raised on FB, I think he probably is. How old was Pat Fitzgerald when he took over at Northwestern?

I'm with whoever said Hack is high-risk, high-reward. Could go either way, but worth the risk since he seems like he could become a great recruiter. He also has more existing high-profile recruits tied up than Shafer does. Pay him low for a HC, and Shafer high for a DC.

I think you're all looney tunes.

Naming Hack HC is the best outcome?

Good gravy.

Twitter reporting Rocco named new SU HC. Is that better?

a
I'm with whoever said Hack is high-risk, high-reward. Could go either way, but worth the risk since he seems like he could become a great recruiter. He also has more existing high-profile recruits tied up than Shafer does. Pay him low for a HC, and Shafer high for a DC.

i see absolutely no possibility at all we promote one to HC, and the other stays at coordinator. not to mention DM will probably take some of the staff with him as an extra kick in the balls on the way out the door.

a

i see absolutely no possibility at all we promote one to HC, and the other stays at coordinator. not to mention DM will probably take some of the staff with him as an extra kick in the balls on the way out the door.

Right. Just going by who's on the board right now. I'm crossing the who else is leaving bridge when we get to it.

That's not what I said. Read it again. Slower.
Iwanttoreadfast!

Even if he is ready to be a BCS HC he may not be the best HC we can get.

Iwanttoreadfast!

Even if he is ready to be a BCS HC he may not be the best HC we can get.

Maybe, maybe not. It's gettin' pretty late in the game. I do like a few prospects (Tom Herman, Brent Venables), but there's no guarantee that they're any better than Hackett (assuming Hackett is "ready").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom