Can somebody explain what has happened to Jerami? | Syracusefan.com

Can somebody explain what has happened to Jerami?

SBU72

All Conference
His play has really gone down. And its not all due to JS return. Against STJ, UConn and Proviednece he got major minutes like everybody thought he would when JS returned. Then his play deterated. In that stirng he had only 7 minutes against SH with out much contribution. Then against Georgetown, he began to lose it. Now he is getting lost on defense, a definite no-no for JB and he looks to have lost what little handle he had. It can't all be of confidence can it? He had 14 minutes against Louisvill and knew he wasn't coming out because JS had 4 fouls and he did absolutely nothing. No rbs, no pts. 1 steal. thats it. Did he hit that freshman wall?

I preface this by saying I think he's going to be really good next year, but I really don't think we can play him anymore in the Tournament. He plays 5-8 minutes a game and must average 1 or more turnovers per while never even looking to score.

He just looks really tentative right now. It's easy when you barely play to go in and play NOT to make a mistake as opposed to just playing off instinct. When JS was out and he was getting big time PT he was just playing his game, but he looks really tight and doesn't want to mess up when he's in. He's going to be a stud for us, but it's not his time right now.

I'm ok with him playing 5-6 minutes a game (JS has to stay out of foul trouble though) as long he gets rebounds.

I preface this by saying I think he's going to be really good next year, but I really don't think we can play him anymore in the Tournament. He plays 5-8 minutes a game and must average 1 or more turnovers per while never even looking to score.
I agree that he is going to be good for the team neaxt year. I do disagree about not looking to score. He has but has either fumbled the ball away or got blocked each time. I was in fear that Cal was goint to foul him some how without it looking intential to send him to the line.

I thought he looked great in the Montana game with extended run. Grabbed rebounds all over the place by constantly getting the ball at it's highest point, scoring a bucket and hitting a few free throws.

Against a bigger D1 players it appears he's still adjusting to the size and speed of the game. He's thinking too much on D instead of not just playing which is probably due to being uncertain of all the zone rotations. Pretty sure it's just a comfort/confidence issue at this point which can be expected for a young guy in a complex zone. Once he's comfortable on D, I think he'll play alot more comfortable on O vs worrying about getting back to cover on D.

I have realized, once again last night, how important Southerland is in the zone. Quick rotations, steals, tipped passes and great close outs. Once he was out Cal was targetting Grant's side of the floor by putting a guy on the baseline between he and the center. Grant still looks a bit unsure when to rotate to the hoop vs closing out on the 3 pt line when the top of the zone is off it's rotation essentially giving him 2 guys to cover. He gets confused and essentially ends up in no mans land between both offensive players.

He just looks really tentative right now. It's easy when you barely play to go in and play NOT to make a mistake as opposed to just playing off instinct. When JS was out and he was getting big time PT he was just playing his game, but he looks really tight and doesn't want to mess up when he's in. He's going to be a stud for us, but it's not his time right now.

I'm ok with him playing 5-6 minutes a game (JS has to stay out of foul trouble though) as long he gets rebounds.

Right on the money. He's got that looking over his shoulder at the bench look to him now. Knows that if does anything at all wrong he's going to get yanked and never see the court again. One of my biggest pet peeves with JB and coaches like him. Sometimes you have to let the kid play through a mistake. Rak seems to have the same look lately.

He's been Boeheimed...

Boehimed [bayHYMed]

Verb

1. To have your confidence destroyed by constantly being yanked by the head coach for any small mistake leading to you playing tentatively and generally being lost while other players get miles and miles of rope to hang themselves.

2. To being relegated to the bench for no good reason even though you proved you can play and provide a solid contribution usually because the player ahead of you is a senior or has been deemed a main cog of the team by the head coach and therefore has to play every available minutes where he is not in foul trouble.

Origin:
2000: A syracusefan board member with the handle igor claimed a player on the bench was being boeheimed... said player transferred the next year and was never heard from again.

Usage:
Rak and Grant have been boheimed this year leading to very inconsistent play

He has been effectively broken by Jim. He has joined a long list of prior Orange greats who for some reason or another seem to be psychologically molested.

He and Rak need to go to therapy together, which is a shame since Jerami showed he was more then capable, and Rak plays great in stretches, makes 1 semi-mistake only to end up with a seat next to Red. It's the one thing I could never understand with Jim.

He's been Boeheimed...

Boehimed [bayHYMed]

Verb

1. To have your confidence destroyed by constantly being yanked by the head coach for any small mistake leading to you playing tentatively and generally being lost while other players get miles and miles of rope to hang themselves.

2. To being relegated to the bench for no good reason even though you proved you can play and provide a solid contribution usually because the player ahead of you is a senior or has been deemed a main cog of the team by the head coach and therefore has to play every available minutes where he is not in foul trouble.

Origin:
2000: A syracusefan board member with the handle igor claimed a player on the bench was being boeheimed... said player transferred the next year and was never heard from again.

Usage:
Rak and Grant have been boheimed this year leading to very inconsistent play

wow i was actually writing the same exact thing in a completely different manner. It's that obvious.

First off Jerami Grant will be a great player for SU next year and a lottery pick but right now he can't make jump shots and that is the biggest problem, the defense doesn't have to guard him at all outside and that really kills the spacing on the floor for SU

First off Jerami Grant will be a great player for SU next year and a lottery pick but right now he can't make jump shots and that is the biggest problem, the defense doesn't have to guard him at all outside and that really kills the spacing on the floor for SU

He does seem to occupy the same space as CJ, so you are right about the spacing.

i watch him during warm ups routinely knock down 15-20 straight 17 foot jump shots. He has it in him. I forgot which game, but he showed it then.

It was the Notre Dame game at the dome where he was making that 15 footer

Jerami is a great player and will produce next year. Whatever he does this year is gravy. He's a Freshman and James is a Senior (1+1=2)..

Jerami is a great player and will produce next year. Whatever he does this year is gravy. He's a Freshman and James is a Senior (1+1=2)..

Agreed. Nothing has "happened" to Grant.

Grant is a freshman, playing behind a Sr, who also had to wait his turn. Grant is going to be fine. He needs to play consistently to find his rhythm and, even more importantly in my mind, his confidence.

Prediction: If Grant plays starter minutes next year, he will be the leading rebounder on the team, even over Fair.

The Montana game was the first game in a while where he played loose. He didn't convert much but he was attacking the basket with abandon and drew some fouls. That is his game. He did hit a few shots including some 3s in his earlier stretch of good play during the season. I agree, he has tightened up because of not being sure what his role should be. He was a big part of the collapse against UL in the BET. In fact, he may (possibly) have been the thing that got the snowball rolling. It was definitely not all his fault, but he was a key cog of about 4 terrible plays in a row that gave UL life.

Right on the money. He's got that looking over his shoulder at the bench look to him now. Knows that if does anything at all wrong he's going to get yanked and never see the court again. One of my biggest pet peeves with JB and coaches like him. Sometimes you have to let the kid play through a mistake. Rak seems to have the same look lately.
Seems like at times he's forcing it on the offensive end instead of letting the game come to him like he did in the beginning of the season. Just needs to continue to work hard on both ends of the court. If he could grab a few offensives boards and have a put back or two he'll get rolling again.

James came back. Thats it. Get over it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually in the 3 of 4 games fter JS came back he got reasonable minutes and had reasonable effect. thenall of a suden there was the Gt game adn he got lost. and its been down hill since. So in my mind it is not just "JS is back."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom