Can someone fill me in? | Syracusefan.com

Can someone fill me in?

DonLightfoot

All Conference
I had radio only and would appreciate some input on what percentage we used the press versus EW. According to the audio it sounded very effective.

I'd say at least 80%. My stream cut off with about 8 minutes left, but, from what I saw, we pressed after every made basket/change of possession.

Yeah, it was sort of token press for the beginning, then it went into Beast Mode, literally, for about 5 minutes. OB was almost visibly licking his chops during that period. Then we sort of backed off up 34 then my stream went kaput.

It was very Christians v lions at one point. While I would hope JB would show no mercy against a top tier opponent at that point, I am glad he backed off. (Although part of me would have understood that because this is new to us, in game practice is of a great benefit, long term.)

This was as pure an example you'll ever see of using these early season games against weaker opponents to work on things and to learn from them.

JB thinks he is going to have nine guys that can play this year. This large number of guys menans he might be able to press a lot. He's got the horses, he might was well use them.

the crowd reaction says it all

582030.jpg

And I'd add that the press was about two-thirds well executed. The rest of the turnovers involved EWU players panicking or trying to catch the ball with flippers instead of hands.

It looked very good, though. Much better than what we've done in the past.

I agree the stature of the EWU kids helped in it's effectiveness, but the length teams see from baseline to baseline is going to wear on people.

Syracuse has pressed on 100% Of possessions where the opposition has to inbound from the baseline in all 3 games so far.

They have used 3 different types of presses.

#1) A soft 2-2-1 zone press that doesn't let up any easy baskets but also doesn't cause many turnovers. This is mostly designed to slow the other team down so they have less time to attack the 2-3. It's the press we've done most often.

#2) The classic SU press. We pressure the unbounded and trap whoever catches the pass. We get tons of turnovers this way, but every time we don't we let up an easy basket, or st least an open look.

#3) Soft press until they cross the half court line, then trap up against the half court line.. I like this one the least because There's no time to recover once the press is broken, but they might be able to surprise teams for a cheap turnover or two, which I think is the point.

SU used all 3 against Eastern Washington. Got tons of turnovers with #2, and saw the worst results with #3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom