Can the PS get a better beat writer? | Syracusefan.com

Can the PS get a better beat writer?

orangepack

Scout Team
Looks like Nolan has been lurking and corrected it. I haven't picked up the paper, but I'd imagine that it's in the paper that way too.

Looks like Nolan has been lurking and corrected it. I haven't picked up the paper, but I'd imagine that it's in the paper that way too.

It's probably not. The print edition is much more scrutinized than online.

Or even an editor? Find the incorrect information:
Defensive end Todd Marinovich won the Ray Martino Award for loyalty, enthusiasm and perseverance. A three-year starter, Marinovich played in 48 games, recording 81 total tackles, including eight sacks, forcing three fumbles and recovering three fumbles. In 2011.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2012/04/seniors_honored_at_syracuse_un.html[/quote]

On-line has no editor, proof reader. The story is posted directly from the writer onto the web site.

Marinovich took last year off IMO

I agree that MM did not have a strong final season. I frankly do not feel that Chandler had a partcularly good year.

I agree that MM did not have a strong final season. I frankly do not feel that Chandler had a partcularly good year.

Which makes me feel like the interjection of youth and talent with the freshmen/JUCO will improve the D, as well as the seasoning of the LB's and DB's.

maybe syracuse u. could donate a reporter from maxwell every semester if it involves the orange

Or even an editor? Find the incorrect information:
Defensive end Todd Marinovich won the Ray Martino Award for loyalty, enthusiasm and perseverance. A three-year starter, Marinovich played in 48 games, recording 81 total tackles, including eight sacks, forcing three fumbles and recovering three fumbles. In 2011.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2012/04/seniors_honored_at_syracuse_un.html[/quote]

Worse: when Nolan does choose to correct one of his many errors, he does it surreptitiously. Nearly every major print outlet - even major blogs - strike through the offending text or run a little correction at the end of the piece, reflecting the edit. No such journalistic integrity at the Sub; they'll just pretend that they never ran that erroneous version.

That paper's tolerance of repeated carelessness never ceases to amaze.

Edit: I goofed on the quote. The irony that never ceases to amaze...

I honestly just want someone who is passionate about SU athletics. If you truly love following your assigned team then it will reflect in your work. Nolan has not sold me on that. Regardless of his true fandom, looking back, I really think that Donnie Webb was responsible for doubling my excitement for the season. He is missed.

I think Nolan takes a lot of crap and it's not all deserved.

But that article in today's PS was horriful. Yes, so bad I'm inventing a word.
I don't care what DM isn't saying; the notion of anyone other than Nassib starting at QB in the fall is beyond ludicrous, and today proved it.

Don't peddle that crap, because there's no way you really believe it.

I honestly just want someone who is passionate about SU athletics. If you truly love following your assigned team then it will reflect in your work. Nolan has not sold me on that. Regardless of his true fandom, looking back, I really think that Donnie Webb was responsible for doubling my excitement for the season. He is missed.
Donnie was an Alabama fan. In order for a paper to keep a non-biased point of view, they aren't going to hire fans. That would be silly.

Donnie was an Alabama fan. In order for a paper to keep a non-biased point of view, they aren't going to hire fans. That would be silly.

Then call me deacon blues.

I think you might be giving a bit too much credit to the Sub-Standard.

If they thought it could get more hits on syracuse.com or sell more ad space in the print version, they'd hire the Dome Ranger as a beat writer.

(But I agree that that would be silly. Kind of like hiring a homer radio guy with poor writing skills to serve as a columnist, for instance.)

I think you might be giving a bit too much credit to the Sub-Standard.

If they thought it could get more hits on syracuse.com or sell more ad space in the print version, they'd hire the Dome Ranger as a beat writer.

(But I agree that that would be silly. Kind of like hiring a homer radio guy with poor writing skills to serve as a columnist, for instance.)
Not giving them any credit. I think their writing is piss-poor. I'm just disputing the point that Nolan needs to be more of a "fan".

Not giving them any credit. I think their writing is piss-poor. I'm just disputing the point that Nolan needs to be more of a "fan".

Oh, I know. And I agree; no need for the beat guy to give a hoot about whether SU wins or loses. Just pointing out that the paper doesn't care about bias or appearance of bias. Their sole concern - far above putting out a good product - is maximizing profits.

I just would like to read stuff I don't know, not regurgitated info from a bio sheet.

Maybe he doesn't need to be more of a "fan", but at least let your passion for the sport and the university show in the quality and quantity of material. Maybe Donnie set the bar high for a community like Syracuse but the disparity between Nolan and Donnie is laughable. Just my .02.

Having a workable knowledge of the sport that you cover would be step #1 in hiring someone as a beat writer. Nolan had not one iota of a clue when he first started. He has improved - incrementally - over the last year-plus, but he still is Sub-Standard.

Syracuse is lucky to have Mike Waters for the basketball program. And I will say that Dave Rahme knows his stuff. It's just mind-boggling to me - and I expressed this from day one - that they could hire someone to do the bulk of the day-by-day stuff that has literally no clue.

Having a workable knowledge of the sport that you cover would be step #1 in hiring someone as a beat writer. Nolan had not one iota of a clue when he first started. He has improved - incrementally - over the last year-plus, but he still is Sub-Standard.

Syracuse is lucky to have Mike Waters for the basketball program. And I will say that Dave Rahme knows his stuff. It's just mind-boggling to me - and I expressed this from day one - that they could hire someone to do the bulk of the day-by-day stuff that has literally no clue.

$$$$

Instead of hiring someone new, they just shifted people around...I never heard the story about why Donnie left the beat, but he did it for a long time and he was a good guy. Not sure if it was his choose to move or the papers - but he was a solid reporter and a good writer. He got a little bit lazy in the later years, but many years on the same beat will do that to you so maybe that's why they switched things up. But he's so much better than Nolan. I liked the balance of Donnie and Dave as well - Donnie was a solid beat guy and was clearly objective about SU football (being an Alabama guy) and Dave gave you a little bit more of the Syracuse side to things and was a little more passionate about it - would be curious why they stopped doing that - maybe Donnie had enough of it.

Mike Waters could have moved onto a much better paper many years ago and been covering a professional team in a bigger market. The Post Standard is lucky that he's decided to stay put - he's a great guy to talk SU basketball with because of his knowledge of the team over the years and he's very objective - he's also one of the nicest writers you'll ever meet. The newspaper industry is just a sad state of affairs but I always read Mike's game recaps -- which is interesting because I rarely read the game stories for anything anymore.

Minor quibble - being a strong writer should be Priority #1. Workable knowledge of the sport is important (and should be the next most important thing) but, as you noted, lack of knowledge can be improved upon.

One could throw a Bill Safire out there, completely ignorant about football, and have him learn on the fly; he'd end up with pretty good work product. When an adult writes at a middle-school level, he can know the game like Vince Lombardi and still not be able to convey what he'd like to. That's the problem we see at the Post-Standard, and it's compounded by the fact that a.) their parent has starved the copy desk and b.) the editors don't seem to have any shame in running half-assed work.

Minor quibble - being a strong writer should be Priority #1. Workable knowledge of the sport is important (and should be the next most important thing) but, as you noted, lack of knowledge can be improved upon.

One could throw a Bill Safire out there, completely ignorant about football, and have him learn on the fly; he'd end up with pretty good work product. When an adult writes at a middle-school level, he can know the game like Vince Lombardi and still not be able to convey what he'd like to. That's the problem we see at the Post-Standard, and it's compounded by the fact that a.) their parent has starved the copy desk and b.) the editors don't seem to have any shame in running half-assed work.

You are right. I don't disagree, but you would think that a newspaper would not hire someone that isn't a strong writer, first and foremost. Right? I thought that went without saying... maybe not at the P-S.