Can we revisit our recruiting? | Syracusefan.com

Can we revisit our recruiting?

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
I think our frosh class is shaping up very nicely. Joe G is going to be a fan favorite and a winner for 4 years. QG came in more raw than we thought he would be but the kid has things you just can't teach. Goodine got off to a very slow (bad) start. But he has skills. The big kids are still to be decided but I like the skills from Edwards and have heard good things about JBA. This just might end up being a terrific class.

Nobody wanted to wait for them to develop but they are going to add depth in a few years we havent had in a long time.

Sorry, but the improvement in this team is largely about Hughes, Buddy, Dolezaj, and Sidibe.

The freshmen will have their day
Did i say anything about the improvement of the team? The post was about what people thought of our frosh class (due to their rankings) and where they might end up. That they will have their day was the point of my post.

I think our frosh class is shaping up very nicely. Joe G is going to be a fan favorite and a winner for 4 years. QG came in more raw than we thought he would be but the kid has things you just can't teach. Goodine got off to a very slow (bad) start. But he has skills. The big kids are still to be decided but I like the skills from Edwards and have heard good things about JBA. This just might end up being a terrific class.

Obviously, you missed all of the assessments from early in the season when Boeheim could not coach, could not recruit, should be retired, etc. ;)

I don't begrudge anyone for having an opinion, but when JB has to reload, and has had limited scholarships for a few years, and routinely reloads, coaches kids up and provides SU fans with winning seasons, I think he has earned a little grace period to see what he do.

Great post. I agree, the freshman class is proving up nicely. I believe we will all be happy fans over the next few seasons.

Did i say anything about the improvement of the team? The post was about what people thought of our frosh class (due to their rankings) and where they might end up. That they will have their day was the point of my post.
The opinions are all over the place (as always) but the Sophomores and Juniors have been leading the way in our 5 game run.

For the record I think the Freshmen are fine and will develop but

Marek had 17pts 7rebs 3ast 1blk and 1stl today...

The opinions are all over the place (as always) but the Sophomores and Juniors have been leading the way in our 5 game run.

For the record I think the Freshmen are fine and will develop but

Marek had 17pts 7rebs 3ast 1blk and 1stl today...
Gabjon, if you want to post that the season is improving because of our vets, be my guest. I won't disagree. That wasn't the point of my post. My post was about what I see in our freshman. Period.

Sorry, but the improvement in this team is largely about Hughes, Buddy, Dolezaj, and Sidibe.

The freshmen will have their day
This is not an attack on you, but serious questions:
You don't see any improvement from JGIII taking over at PG when he is an SG, naturally? No passing ability? No incorporation of his shot into his PG game? No improved drive and shoot or drive and dish?

You see no improvement in Q? No better rebounding? No better shooting? No better D?

You see no improvement in Goodine?

I see freshmen contributing, spelling the starters and adding to the team. Are they "there" yet, NO, I will wholeheartedly agree with you. I also agree that everyone else is improving. for the non-freshmen, I think it is more that they now have experience playing as a team and they are gelling better.

This is not an attack on you, but serious questions:
You don't see any improvement from JGIII taking over at PG when he is an SG, naturally? No passing ability? No incorporation of his shot into his PG game? No improved drive and shoot or drive and dish?

You see no improvement in Q? No better rebounding? No better shooting? No better D?

You see no improvement in Goodine?

I see freshmen contributing, spelling the starters and adding to the team. Are they "there" yet, NO, I will wholeheartedly agree with you. I also agree that everyone else is improving. for the non-freshmen, I think it is more that they now have experience playing as a team and they are gelling better.
I see improvement with Q in rebounding and shot selection.

I think JG3 is improving on shot selection and is clearly working hard on his defense.

Goodine I need to see more before I comment.

But I just think it is strange to talk and the freshmen when the clear jump is production is been in the Juniors and Sophomores.

Sidibe hasn't missed a shot in 2 games! He has 8reb and 2 big blocks and only played 20mins

I think JG3 is improving on shot selection and is clearly working hard on his defense.

But I just think it is strange to talk and the freshmen when the clear jump is production is been in the Juniors and Sophomores.

Sidibe hasn't missed a shot in 2 games! He has 8reb and 2 big blocks and only play 20mins
Thanks for the serious reply, I appreciate that you did not take my questions personally, they were not meant to be personal. Whether I agree with your or not, I respect your posts. I agree that the starters have improved their respective games. I credit several factors for their improvement:

1) The experienced players are improving due to their own efforts,
2) The freshmen are picking up some slack, adding significantly to the overall team,
3) The team is playing better as a team, they needed experience with each other to improve, a.k.a. the early season was more about growing together than individual improvement

I think you see it in today's game where Eli simply was not the factor he usually is, though credit where it is due, he showed ice in his veins towards the end and toughed out his own slump. Regardless, the remainder of the team stepped up and won as a team. I believe JG3 and QG were key parts of todays win.

Just wait until this team starts hitting all cylinders.

The real problem with recruiting is that we didn't have high impact ready to perform guys that could step in for the guys that departed. That's the problem with the early departure cycle in college basketball. If you have early departures, you have to be able to replace those guys with guys from your bench who have experience or frosh that are ready to step in and perform immediately.

As a result of sanctions, our bench was not full of guys that had had the opportunity to develop skills and be ready to step up at a high level when the next great one and done frosh didn't come our way.

All you need to do is look at the development of Marek and the slow steady improvement we seem to be seeing in Sidibe to see that our biggest problems came not from the players we recruited, but from what we were asking of them, when we were asking it. I have no doubt that the same is true of Jalen Carey.....and I really, really hope he stays around and proves it.

I think JB has relatively few recruiting swings and misses, meaning a guy that can't help at all ever. Chino was probably one, Ethan Cole might have been another, although I don't know, if anything, was truly expected from either of those guys. I'm not even 100% convinced that Kaleb was truly a swing and miss. If he had stayed in the program 4 years and been able to develop playing behind Ennis for a couple of years, his college career might have been a ton different than how it ultimately played out.

In my mind the question about recruiting is can you have a successful program without the guys that are able to come in and help out immediately. Those are the guys that we've been largely unsuccessful at luring here the last 2 or 3 years. If we build up enough viable help on the roster, we may find that the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Gabjon, if you want to post that the season is improving because of our vets, be my guest. I won't disagree. That wasn't the point of my post. My post was about what I see in our freshman. Period.
moving-goalposts.jpg

I like Joe, G, Goodine. Lots of potential. Edwards is extremely coordinated and has good hands. I think he can be very good as he gains strength and experience. Not sure on the other kid.

Sidibe hasn't missed a shot in 2 games! He has 8reb and 2 big blocks and only played 20mins
The OP was our freshman, based on their development, may be better than their hs rankings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom