Can we score in the 60s? | Syracusefan.com

Can we score in the 60s?

Alsacs

Living Legend
If we could score in the 60s it’s the difference we would need to win these next 2 games?

You can tell after 10 minutes of every game how many points approximately we need to win.

I think this next game is the one we need 65+ to win.
Only other team left than Duke we will need mid 60s to beat is Villanova.

If for just those 2 games potentially we could shoot our butts off it wouldn’t be impossible.

For the basketball people like General20 what can we do during these games to get those extra 10 points?

Establish Marek, again, early. Really frees up brissett and battle. Unfortunately frAnk still has to shoot over double teams all the time but hes the lesser of the three threats anyways

Marek/Chukwu/Sidibe/Moyer can give us 12 combined, Battle found himself again in that 2nd half and gives us 20, Brissett 16 and Frank 12.

That's 60.

Battle/Brissett/Frank are all capable of scoring more than what I listed.

Things within the realm of possibility (we're not counting on dramatic changes in offensive sets, rediscovering transition, seeing a lot of motion, that sort of stuff):

Free throws: everybody who takes them is capable of making all of them. Gotta take those free points; Battle and Brissett finishing the year on a streak would help bump the scoring a little.
Dolezaj: he's money with that weird floater. Feed him. 8+ shots a game would be a start.
Pick and roll: Chukwu's free all the time. About 65% of our possessions end with no points. Pass the guy the ball - there's no way his success rate will be any worse than the team's rate with long step-back twos and all those other low-percentage shots.

Pick and roll: Chukwu's free all the time. About 65% of our possessions end with no points. Pass the guy the ball - there's no way his success rate will be any worse than the team's rate with long step-back twos and all those other low-percentage shots.

I agree except he drops it quite a bit (57.387% of the time I believe).

I made that last statistic up.

Hey! We averaged 99ppg in the 60's! :mad:

upload_2018-3-19_11-21-31.png

Things within the realm of possibility (we're not counting on dramatic changes in offensive sets, rediscovering transition, seeing a lot of motion, that sort of stuff):

Free throws: everybody who takes them is capable of making all of them. Gotta take those free points; Battle and Brissett finishing the year on a streak would help bump the scoring a little.
Dolezaj: he's money with that weird floater. Feed him. 8+ shots a game would be a start.
I agree with everything but the last.
Chukwu can’t catch the ball and when we tried to pass an alley-op it was a bad pass and got Chukwu’s 4th foul.

I don’t want Chukwu or Sidibe doing a single ball screen against Duke.
We can’t risk the refs calling a moving screen.
We can’t get cheap fouls like we did yesterday both bigs got 2 cheap fouls yesterday.

They're going to zone us so put Marek at the high post and hope our Big 3 shoot well.

We're still due for a good shooting game.

Even if we only shoot 22% from there, Marek can pass in or out form there. Teams have been hurting us that way for years. And don't always try to penetrate from the top of the zone. Get it to the side before driving or looking to pass inside. Other teams are double-teaming the guard who tries to make a play from the top of the zone. And get people moving. You make the defenders move, the opening appear. Can the isos and the 30 foot picks and roll.

Marek also has to be decisive. His emergence should be in Duke's preparation. They know he can turn and hit that mid-range shot. If they collapse on him, we'll have open looks...if they don't, he has to be decisive and shoot.

We need to have a well above average shooting game from 3 to win from here on out. Duke's zone is going to lessen our ability to drive to the rim and will force us to shoot more perimeter shots. The big 3 have to shoot better than their averages, especially Tyus.

I checked the box from the Duke game. Amazingly, even though we only had 44 in total, eleven of those came from matt & Chuk. That is not going to happen again. That leaves 33 from the rest of the team.

So the bottom line is that everybody else has to be twice as good. Give Chuk 4 or 5 & that actually would get us to 70.

Now, if we look at how bad the rest of the team was (excluding Matt & Chuk that game), they shot for a combined 12 for 47.

While, it might be a stretch for everybody else to be twice as good, it would certainly seem that everybody else combined should be at least 50% better. So, at 50% better, the 33 goes to 49 or 50. Add five for Chuk and we get to 55.

If the rest improve 65% instead of 50%, that gets them to 55 - add 5 for Chuk and voila we are at 60. They only scored 60 in a rout against us, and we are playing much better D right now.

So, I agree with OP that we need to get to 60+ to win. The mathematical formula to get that done is above.

Now, it is simply up to Jimmy to coach em up 65%+ from the last time we played Duke.

If we could score in the 60s it’s the difference we would need to win these next 2 games?

You can tell after 10 minutes of every game how many points approximately we need to win.

I think this next game is the one we need 65+ to win.
Only other team left than Duke we will need mid 60s to beat is Villanova.

If for just those 2 games potentially we could shoot our butts off it wouldn’t be impossible.

For the basketball people like General20 what can we do during these games to get those extra 10 points?

Boeheim said it in the MSU post-game conference. Defense will not be enough going forward. If we can't score more, we won't win. I think Duke is the worst team that we could've drawn. Without a sharp uptick in outside shooting, we don't stand a chance. We had one made three in the MSU game. A total of three against TCU.

Boeheim said it in the MSU post-game conference. Defense will not be enough going forward. If we can't score more, we won't win. I think Duke is the worst team that we could've drawn. Without a sharp uptick in outside shooting, we don't stand a chance. We had one made three in the MSU game. A total of three against TCU.
We can grind 13 of 15 teams left.
We need to make shots at a high clip to beat Villanova and Duke.
Those teams will score.
The zone will keep them down from their average but we can win.

To beat Duke we need Frank and Oshae to make a combined 6-7 3pt FGs.

Going to need to score 65 to beat Duke. The Big 3 all need to shoot well.
50 from the big 3 (comined 45% FG% should do it)

15 from the other 4 (put backs and MD high post feeds)

I think the big key will be hitting free throws at >75% clip as has been mentioned but the second big variable will be forcing TO’s I think. The biggest (only?) improvement I have seen in our offense throughout this year is the ability to get points/get fouled off of turnovers.

Those are my keys to 65.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom