Can we still win the Big East?

FortyFourCT

2017 Iggy Award Winner
If I made a mistake here, please let me know:

Rutgers: Lost to Pitt and Louisville; 2 losses
Louisville: Lost to Uconn, beat Rutgers; 2 losses
Syracuse: beat Temple; 2 losses
Cincinnati: Lose one of their last 2 games; 3 losses

So we could be co-champs. Louisville probably would get the BCS bowl, no?

I don't think so, we don't have the tiebreaker with RU. RU would still win the BCS bid, but finishing 2nd would be quite the accomplishment.

But couldn't Rutgers, Louisville and us finish all tied for first with 2 losses and in that little mini-conference, we all would be 1-1 against each other. Plus the Big East names anybody who is tied for first as champ. See Uconn's trophy case for proof.

If the 3-team mini-conference is 1-1 all around, the highest ranked team gets the BCS bowl, but all 3 are named co-champions. Since the worst RU can do is 5-2, we can't beat them out for the BCS berth.

we can its just unlikely since if all 3 are tied in mini conference it goes straight bcs ranking no had to head applies.. we actually received some votes in harris poll this week were 42

We can still be co-champs of the conference, but not the BCS representative. I'll take Big East co-champs and a ring.

Under that senario we would go IMO. Think about it UL losing to us and UConn will kill them in the polls despite coming back and beating RU. SU would have won three in a row and five of six. RU would have lost two in a row and three of five. I think at that point we would have the most votes and get the bid.

Under that senario we would go IMO. Think about it UL losing to us and UConn will kill them in the polls despite coming back and beating RU. SU would have won three in a row and five of six. RU would have lost two in a row and three of five. I think at that point we would have the most votes and get the bid.
I can't imagine, at 7-5, we would be ranked higher than RU or LV even if that happened.

I can't imagine, at 7-5, we would be ranked higher than RU or LV even if that happened.

if pitt beats rutgers and uconn beats louisville both likely fall out of top 25

I don't think any of those three would receive votes in the human polls. So it would come down to computer rankings. Currently Sagarin has RU at 34, Louisville at 46, and SU at 53. RU losing two games and Louisville losing to UConn would make things very close.

IMO this is all moot as no way UL loses to UConn.

I don't think any of those three would receive votes in the human polls. So it would come down to computer rankings. Currently Sagarin has RU at 34, Louisville at 46, and SU at 53. RU losing two games and Louisville losing to UConn would make things very close.

Agreed.

If the 3-team mini-conference is 1-1 all around, the highest ranked team gets the BCS bowl, but all 3 are named co-champions. Since the worst RU can do is 5-2, we can't beat them out for the BCS berth.

For Rutgers to tie for first at 5-2, that means they lose a game to Pitt and a game to Louisville to end the season. They will not get to the BCS game if that happens. Louisville will jump ahead of them.

If Louisville lost to UCONN and beat Rutgers, we could end tied for 1st place at 5-2, but will not jump Louisville and Rutgers in the BCS standings.

Unfortunately, even 5-2 isn't going to cut it this year in the Big East. It stinks because the Rutgers and Cincinnati games were both very winnable games.

That's what Pittsburgh thought too... but UCONN beat them. 4 of UCONN's 6 losses have come by 7 points or less... the only "blowout" losses have been to Rutgers (19-3) and SU (40-10). UCONN's defense is good enough to slow down Louisville's offense and as we saw, the Louisville defense doesn't appear to be very special so they may be able to put up some points.

Ray Graham will play in the NFL next year, so anything is possible.

if pitt beats rutgers and uconn beats louisville both likely fall out of top 25

No likely about it ... they would plummet like they were dropped from the Sears Tower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom