Canisius | Syracusefan.com

Canisius

BillSU

All American
FYI for the board: This year I am going to preview each team we play and the teams best players continuing with Red's #2 regular season game, schools we should defeat IMO, my pick and how many points we should win by. > SU W by 15 < Results W 89 - 77.

Please feel free to add your prediction if you wish or not.

CANISIUS

Results 2022 - 2023

Overall 10-20

PCT .333

Conf 8-12

PCT. 400

Streak L1

Home 7-7

Away 3-12

Neutral 0-1

Canisius best players coming in Wednesday night:

# 0 Tre Dinkins, Guard, 6’ 2” 190, Junior

2022 – 2023 Season

• Played in all 30 games, making 11 starts.
• Averaged 5.9 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game in his first year with the program.
• Scored a season-high 19 points at Quinnipiac Jan. 22.
• Was good for 10-or more points in six games.
• Made his first collegiate career start Nov. 7 against Youngstown State, where he scored 14 points.
• Grabbed a season-high six rebounds in the team's win over Siena at home Jan. 15.
• Dished out a season best six assists in the home win over Manhattan Jan. 29.

2022 – 2023 Season

# 5 Siem Uijentendall, Guard, 6’ 6” 185, Senior

• Played in 23 games during his junior season.
• Averaged 4.3 points and 0.8 rebounds per contest.
• Set a Canisius record with 10 3-point field goal makes in a home win over Fredonia (Nov. 20).
• Was one of two players in the nation to make 10-or more 3-pointers in a game during the 2022-23 campaign.
• His 10 3-pointers in the Fredonia game made him the first MAAC player to hit 10-or more shots from behind the arc since the 2015-16 campaign.
• Made multiple 3-point field goals in six different games throughout the season.
• Finished the Fredonia game with a career-high 30 points, making his just the 10th player in program history to score 30-or more points at the Koessler Athletic Center.
• Scored in double-figures four times.

Canisius Big Man

#15 Joe Jones III, Forward, 6’ 10” 230 Graduate Student

BEFORE CANISIUS
• Joins the Canisius program after earning his undergraduate degree from Georgia State in the summer of 2023.
• Played 45 career games for the Panthers, while missing the entire 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons due to injury.
• After missing two seasons due to an injury, Jones III played in 13 games during the 2022-23 campaign, where he averaged 3.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per contest. He recorded a double-double in Georgia State’s win over Toccoa Falls with 18 points and 10 rebounds, and he also grabbed a career-high 14 boards at Marshall on Jan. 28, 2023.
• As a freshman in 2019-20, he played in all 32 games for Georgia State, where he made 23 starts. That year, he was good for 3.5 points and 3.5 rebounds per game while shooting 50.0 percent (43-for-86) from the field in 14.9 minutes per outing.

2022 - 2023 Season

#44 TAHJ STAVESKIE, GUARD, 6'0" 165 R Freshman

• Played in and started all 30 games. He was the only player on the roster to start all 30 contests.
• Was a unanimous selection to the 2022-23 MAAC All-Rookie Team.
• Is the 12th different Griff since 1989-90 to earn MAAC All-Rookie Team honors.
• Tied a program record by being named the MAAC Rookie of the Week six times.
• Ranked second on the team with his 12.4 points per game scoring average, which ranks fourth-best for a freshmen in program history.
• Led all MAAC freshmen in games started (30), points per game (12.4), assists per game (2.8), 3-point field goals per game (1.5), 3-point field goal percentage (30.1) and minutes per game (30.2).
• Scored in double-figures 20 times, and scored 15-or more points 10 times.

Head Coach

Reggie Witherspoon

Reggie Witherspoon, a Buffalo native and a 27-year veteran of the college basketball coaching ranks, was named the 24th head coach in Canisius College men’s basketball history on May 28, 2016.

In his seven previous seasons as head coach of the Golden Griffins, Witherspoon has guided the program to 94 wins, 65 of which have come in MAAC regular-season play, a share of the 2017-18 MAAC regular-season championship and a pair of national postseason appearances (CIT in 2016-17, CBI in 2017-18).

Entering the 2023-24 season, Witherspoon's 94 career victories at Canisius ranks him fifth in program history, and he needs just six more wins to become only the fifth Canisius head coach to record 100-or more career victories on Main Street. Additionally, he is fifth head coach in the program's 120-year history to hold the title of head coach for eight-or more years.

Since taking over the program prior to the start of the 2016-17 campaign, Witherspoon has guided the Golden Griffins to a winning record in MAAC play three times, highlighted by the 2017-18 squad which won a school-record 15 league games. He enters the 2023-24 campaign as the second-longest tenured MAAC head coach at his current school, trailing only Rider's Kevin Baggett in that category.

Last edited:
Well they killed Colgate in a scrimmage. Line is 13.5 as of now. I’ll take a 13pt win

Laid -13 while I was in Mass tonight. We are going to make jump shots, maintain the intensity better and win by 20 plus.

if we are gonna continue to miss shots by feet every game is gonna be a slog.

Their best returning player is Tahj Steveskie
Yes. He says a lot of steals and assists. Good player.

I suspect we will go after him on defense. He is listed at 6'0 and probably is not quite that tall.

If they play man, whoever he covers (JJ or Judah) is going to try and post him up early and often.

Yes. He says a lot of steals and assists. Good player.

I suspect we will go after him on defense. He is listed at 6'0 and probably is not quite that tall.

If they play man, whoever he covers (JJ or Judah) is going to try and post him up early and often.
I would definitely play zone if I'm Canisius. Make SU prove they can hit shots.

I would definitely play zone if I'm Canisius. Make SU prove they can hit shots.
Probably. With the driving ability of our guards and our struggles hitting 3s so far, I would expect to see a lot of zone.

Probably. With the driving ability of our guards and our struggles hitting 3s so far, I would expect to see a lot of zone.
5 guys in the paint. Cram 'em in there. :p

if teams want to zone us we need to find out if the big can get entry passes and drop it back off if teams collapse. if we are getting out on break less zone issues on offense.