Can't imagine recruits would have enjoyed the SU/UL game | Syracusefan.com

Can't imagine recruits would have enjoyed the SU/UL game

Nah...
They'd much rather come out to Manley on a cold & dreary spring day with the 500 rabid SU fans to watch the team practice in green jerseys.

Can't imagine we have so many people smarter than our entire administration right here on the internets!

It certainly is scary, especially since it may be true. Hope all us naysayers are proven wrong over the next two seasons.

Can't imagine we have so many people smarter than our entire administration right here on the internets!

same administration that got us 5 home games? when no other big east program was reduced to 5-

same administration that took a usc dome game and moved it to jersey?

same ones who have taken the next decades best ooc home games to the stinky state?

same ones who couldnt be bothered to trow a bag of friggin ice in a cooler with a few sodas and call it a signing day event?

they have a stat like a baseball power hitter who strikes out 9 times for every home run-
other than field turf and the acc thing they havent exactly been on fire-

Please tell me the downside to having recruits at last night's game-I'd love to hear this.

For the life of me i have no idea why Doug doesnt want to show recruits a great time. What a better chance to show off Syracuse than at a packed house on Senior day. The whole campus is rocking, the atmosphere is amazing at the Dome CBS is there with a National telecast actually i have no idea what the hell he is thinking. He really has a hard time understanding todays youth. Same thing with the numbers. Dougs comment on why he doesnt understand why a number matters to a kid is just so out of it. Wasnt he a kid once. Gosh we have the best on campus basketball experiance on the planet and he would rather have the kids park their butts in Manley when the place is dead. Someone please tell me why he does this. Does anyone have a clue? Bees, Cuse, Tomcat, IB, Jersey?

Why can't they do both? I realize that not every kid can make it to campus more than once, but why not make the offer to come for the game yesterday and come to Junior Day as well? Show the fun,rocking Dome one day and then all business the next time.

I just don't see any downside to having kids there yesterday.

Why can't they do both? I realize that not every kid can make it to campus more than once, but why not make the offer to come for the game yesterday and come to Junior Day as well? Show the fun,rocking Dome one day and then all business the next time.

I just don't see any downside to having kids there yesterday.
I agree that it seemed like a great opportunity to sell the school - after all, Marrone, like may coaches, advises recruits to pick a school they would be happy at even without football, and SU hoops is undoubtedly an integral part of the SU student experience.

On the other hand, HCDM may feel it's more important to expose recruits to an atmosphere as a part of the SU football family- be able to meet the players and coaches, see how practices are run, etc.

As for scheduling multiple visits, I suspect there are NCAA rules that govern the number of "official" campus visits a recruit can take. There's nothing stopping us from inviting a recruit to attend a hoops game on his own, but SU wouldn't be able to provide travel assistance, tickets to the game, etc.

Contrary to everyone's belief these kids are reasonably intelligent. They know that they play football and not basketball. I would think most football recruits would want to see how the football program works and since right now Marrone cannot have practices or a great deal of contact with current players he probably wants to wait until the can show them a football experience.

Contrary to everyone's belief these kids are reasonably intelligent. They know that they play football and not basketball. I would think most football recruits would want to see how the football program works and since right now Marrone cannot have practices or a great deal of contact with current players he probably wants to wait until the can show them a football experience.
You are right about showing the kid how the fb program works but I would think since a Jr Day does not count as an official wouldn't you want to have one to possibly get a few of those kids to consider taking an official visit during their Sr year, and maybe even one or two good players decide they have seen enough and commit at a Jr Day?

Sure you can have one, but I would have it during the spring game. Just because the basketball game has alot of people doesn't mean that will sway a football kid, especially one that does his research (attendance is very easy to find).

Guys they are 16-17 year old kids not adults they want to have fun be excited my gosh is it that hard to think that JR Day at a rocking Dome with the students going nuts doesnt make more sense than watching a bs spring game with 1000 blue hairs and two students waiting for lacrosse game in the house. It just doesnt make sense

:noidea:
The fact that people have been debating this to this extent is asinine, pros and cons to both. It's a coches decision but I think some of you honestly believe this is why we didn't go to a bowl game last year. You want to recruit better? Buildid good facilities, win a few more games. Plain and simple. This isn't for fans to worry about

The fact that people have been debating this to this extent is asinine, pros and cons to both. It's a coches decision but I think some of you honestly believe this is why we didn't go to a bowl game last year. You want to recruit better? Buildid good facilities, win a few more games. Plain and simple. This isn't for fans to worry about
Exactly. I get the feeling some people think that Marrone never even thought about having "Junior Day" on the day of a hoops game... Like he needs us bulletin board dopes to enlighten him. Marrone is not shy about using basketball games as a recruiting mechanism and has done so even recently. I'll just let him do his job and he will figure out when to bring recruits on campus.

For the life of me i have no idea why Doug doesnt want to show recruits a great time. What a better chance to show off Syracuse than at a packed house on Senior day. The whole campus is rocking, the atmosphere is amazing at the Dome CBS is there with a National telecast actually i have no idea what the hell he is thinking. He really has a hard time understanding todays youth. Same thing with the numbers. Dougs comment on why he doesnt understand why a number matters to a kid is just so out of it. Wasnt he a kid once. Gosh we have the best on campus basketball experiance on the planet and he would rather have the kids park their butts in Manley when the place is dead. Someone please tell me why he does this. Does anyone have a clue? Bees, Cuse, Tomcat, IB, Jersey?
They have had junior days on weekends that feature a home basketball game in the past. Someone theorized that the staff might want to delay having them visit until some enhancements have been made to Manley. I think they are working on some things there right now. That makes sense to me.

Please tell me the downside to having recruits at last night's game-I'd love to hear this.
I don't know what the downside is - I am an outsider, without complete context necessary to make such a judgment. That's my point. You see a limited portion of the situation and make sarcastic wise-arse comments (in this situation anyway). Send your resume to the AD if you think you know better how to run the program than all those dunderheads on the hill.

They have had junior days on weekends that feature a home basketball game in the past. Someone theorized that the staff might want to delay having them visit until some enhancements have been made to Manley. I think they are working on some things there right now. That makes sense to me.
Ok Thanks Tom my Daughter goes to school College in Seattle. Im very lucky as she was offered 4 full scholorships to school. All of the schools were top shelf but as we went through the selection process in the end it was the other students that sold her. The day that we visited Seattle she has a great JR giving the tour and they had a concert on campus that night. In short she had a great experiance which ended up having her select that school. One other school that she went to was Rollins College in Winter Park FL. We visited during finals. The tour was great the school is rated one of the top private schools in the South the campus is beautiful everything was fantastic but the kids were busy and she didnt get the vibe. My point which is taking way too long to make is that 16-17 year old kids are a tough lot. Little things make a huge impression. For my part i truly think that having a young person on campus during an exciting event when the school is alive can make a big difference. More so than a nice upgrade at Manley.

same administration that got us 5 home games? when no other big east program was reduced to 5-

same administration that took a usc dome game and moved it to jersey?

same ones who have taken the next decades best ooc home games to the stinky state?

same ones who couldnt be bothered to trow a bag of friggin ice in a cooler with a few sodas and call it a signing day event?

they have a stat like a baseball power hitter who strikes out 9 times for every home run-
other than field turf and the acc thing they havent exactly been on fire-
I was a little disappointed at a couple of the announcment recently, I must admit. Then I listened to the press conference and it left. We are trying to build a program here. We are also leaving a conference and joining another one. There were also 2 other teams that left extremely abruptly that left 2 very large holes in our schedule. The USC game was scheduled long before that happened as was ND and Penn state. 1:1:1, please do not quote me. This is a 1 ticket town, if some very ardent fans do not get there way they seem to become bitter without being objective. I read post about 1 person here and it almost makes me want to hurl as if I am listening to a selfish child. I better be quiet now I might not be welcome in the prime lot.. please note it is not the poster above, if you do not like it you should just quit being a fan because all you do is whine. If you focus more on what we have instead of don't have you will find yourself very grateful. A grateful supporter of the student athletes here at syracuse for many years. A syracuse grad, a chosen and thankful syracuse resident. We are SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom