Can't judge until we see Thorpe | Syracusefan.com

Can't judge until we see Thorpe

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I hope the young man is ready to contribute at a fairly high level. As I said I"m not judging based off last night's BS feed and limited viewing, but I don't think the two Howard's eating up lots of back court minutes bodes well for a successful year.

I know it's been asked but what is realistic for him in the ACC?

I hope the young man is ready to contribute at a fairly high level. As I said I"m not judging based off last night's BS feed and limited viewing, but I don't think the two Howard's eating up lots of back court minutes bodes well for a successful year.

40...and zero. That is 40 minutes per game with zero rest. ;):)

Is his ankle something we should worry about all season or is it something that will heal and be fine?

Is his ankle something we should worry about all season or is it something that will heal and be fine?

Two weeks is already longer than they expected, and JB did not sound particularly encouraging. I hate to be a wet blanket, but if Geno isn't playing in the next week or so, it's going to put him way behind in terms of conditioning, and it might be December before he's contributing.

Two weeks is already longer than they expected, and JB did not sound particularly encouraging. I hate to be a wet blanket, but if Geno isn't playing in the next week or so, it's going to put him way behind in terms of conditioning, and it might be December before he's contributing.
Thanks, doesn't sound good. Very unfortunate that he has to deal with this during his final season.

I thought Howard Washington looked pretty good last night. I don't remember him making many turnovers and he missed some open shots but he is a good shooter so that doesn't concern me too much. Frank Howard's shot looked much better which is a huge thing. I was concerned there was a few times he didn't get out on shooters and this was a D2 school and he made more turnovers then I would like but he differently looked better. To be honest I think our backcourt is the least of our concerns. Having Thorpe for defense alone would be huge and he could score so we obviously need him but I think how Sidibe and Chukwu played was really encouraging. To be honest before last night my biggest concern was the 5 with Sidibe playing big minutes and Chukwu being terrible but I feel ok with that now. I think our biggest issue now is the 3 players playing the forward spot (Marek, Brissett, Moyer) and scoring from the perimeter. This is why we were willing to look past all the crap with Jordan Tucker, we really needed that skill set. We are putting the world on Brissett's shoulders. I think the bigger concern with not having Thorpe for an extended period of time is we can't really play Tyus at the 3 with Brissett at the 4 which I think we will have to do to score.

I thought Howard Washington looked pretty good last night. I don't remember him making many turnovers and he missed some open shots but he is a good shooter so that doesn't concern me too much. Frank Howard's shot looked much better which is a huge thing. I was concerned there was a few times he didn't get out on shooters and this was a D2 school and he made more turnovers then I would like but he differently looked better. To be honest I think our backcourt is the least of our concerns. Having Thorpe for defense alone would be huge and he could score so we obviously need him but I think how Sidibe and Chukwu played was really encouraging. To be honest before last night my biggest concern was the 5 with Sidibe playing big minutes and Chukwu being terrible but I feel ok with that now. I think our biggest issue now is the 3 players playing the forward spot (Marek, Brissett, Moyer) and scoring from the perimeter. This is why we were willing to look past all the crap with Jordan Tucker, we really needed that skill set. We are putting the world on Brissett's shoulders. I think the bigger concern with not having Thorpe for an extended period of time is we can't really play Tyus at the 3 with Brissett at the 4 which I think we will have to do to score.
I don't think we are going to win many if any front court battles. We need to win in the back court and I hope you are right, but Tyus with the Howard's does not give us enough to win those IMHO. Thorpe needs to be good.

Washington’s defense last night was pretty bad. I’m sure it will get better but he let guys get by him like a turnstile. He seems very poised though, a good ballhandler, and a very good shooter. Offensively he has some promise.

I hope the young man is ready to contribute at a fairly high level. As I said I"m not judging based off last night's BS feed and limited viewing...

Try to watch the replay. Aside from two blank screen glitches (for just a few seconds each), it ran pretty smoothly and clear for me last night.

Try to watch the replay. Aside from two blank screen glitches (for just a few seconds each), it ran pretty smoothly and clear for me last night.

I had two or three of those grey/bank screens but then lost a few minutes of action each time. The score jumped up considerably when I saw action again. I missed at least 5 blocks for sure. Annoying. Never saw that before off the WatchEspn replay. I wasn’t able to see it live. Just the replay which I started around 1130 last night.

but you can condition your legs by riding a bike and still not be able to run and cut on your ankle.

he may just need to be shut down for several weeks as funky as ankles can be.

The replay completely drops out 2-3 minutes towards end of 1st half (in the middle of the big run) and 3 minutes near the beginning of the second half. Espn needs to get its act together.

The replay completely drops out 2-3 minutes towards end of 1st half (in the middle of the big run) and 3 minutes near the beginning of the second half. Espn needs to get its act together.

The feed looked beautiful on my screen... when it worked...

I don’t know why anyone makes final judgements off any exhibition games and every year people do.

In 2009 we lost to Lemoyne and everyone thought we were headed to the worst season in Syracuse history.

Two years ago when we went to the final four Kaleb Joseph looked like an all American against Lemoyne and Tyler Lydon looked like trash. Who had the better season?

Last edited:
Washington’s defense last night was pretty bad. I’m sure it will get better but he let guys get by him like a turnstile. He seems very poised though, a good ballhandler, and a very good shooter. Offensively he has some promise.

As someone else used this phrase before, he is the break glass in case of emergency player, I don't see him being a factor for us at all this year.

As someone else used this phrase before, he is the break glass in case of emergency player, I don't see him being a factor for us at all this year.
Unless the singer doesn't show and we need someone to play the Star Spangled Banner on the violin. ;)

I don’t know why anyone makes final judgements off any exhibition games and every year people do.

In 2009 we lost to Lemoyne and everyone thought we were headed to the worst season in Syracuse history.

Two years ago when we went to the final four Kaleb Joseph looked like an all American against Lemoyne and Tyler Lydon looked like trash. Who had the better season?
Who said they were "final judgments?"

Unless the singer doesn't show and we need someone to play the Star Spangled Banner on the violin. ;)

Where were you last night. The exhibition game thread turned into a soccer tournament thread and you were no where to be found. I was waiting for a basketball exhibition people this is a warning. Crickets.

Where were you last night. The exhibition game thread turned into a soccer tournament thread and you were no where to be found. I was waiting for a basketball exhibition people this is a warning. Crickets.
I was there. Right on the pitch. Don't be bowling me a googly.

Jeesh have to say this board has been somewhat of a downer lately...would like to say more but that would only make me look like a bitter dude that has his orange shades on! personally im going to try and not make too many judgements based off of one game but overall I liked what I saw from our young team. The one thing I will say because I have seen some posts on him and feel like others are watching a completely different game then me is that I think Howard Washington is going to play. Went back tonight and watched game again and if you can't see what this kid brings to the table then idk what to say. His handle, vision, control of the game and shooting is all there and what we need from a PG. This whole notion that hes not a super athlete and he has no defense etc is crazy to me. Even read stuff about worrying if his foot speed is good enough to compete at a high level...whattt?? Anyways just my thoughts so let me have it:p

That’s fair but I don’t remember anybody salivating over a Kaleb Joseph exhibition performance. Maybe I’m wrong. Also, the LeMoyne debacle was with a hyped team with some good returning parts and such.

With this team so little is known and there isn’t a huge collection of top end talent, IMO. I would not be surprised one bit if they lose an exhibition game. I mean what major college team/brand is going to throw a Chukwu or a Moyer out there as a potential solid contributor? Very little was done in the halfcourt. In fact nobody looked like they knew what the hell was going on. They got some opportunities off lots of nice blocks to attack an unsettled defense, the press, and good defense. Otherwise it was one pass and a jack. We’ll see moving forward if they have an answer in the halfcourt against a decent D1 (gulp) defense. Not saying it can’t work but the odds are against that, IMO.

Last edited:
That’s fair but I don’t remember anybody salivating over a Kaleb Joseph exhibition performance. Maybe I’m wrong. Also, the LeMoyne debacle was with a hyped team with some good returning parts and such.

With this team so little is known and there isn’t a huge collection of top end talent, IMO. I would not be surprised one bit if they lose an exhibition game. I mean what major college team/brand is going to throw a Chukwu or a Moyer out there as a potential solid contributor? Very little was done in the halfcourt. In fact nobody looked like they knew what the hell was going on. They got some opportunities off lots of nice blocks to attack an unsettled defense. We’ll see moving forward if they have an answer in the halfcourt against a decent D1 (gulp) defense. Not saying it can’t work but the odds are against that, IMO.

This is the biggest reason that I am not optimistic about Frank for this season. Isn't that what happened to us last year, FH would enter and we would stagnate until 3 seconds were left on the shot clock and then someone would fire up a 3. Problem is that unlike last year, this year we only have 1 competent 3 point shooter.