Career Coaching Efficiency Using Kenpom (stolen from Reddit) | Syracusefan.com

Career Coaching Efficiency Using Kenpom (stolen from Reddit)

NYCorange

2nd String
d86u271u3ls11.png

A few notes: this is pretty much a chart of how good on offense/defense these coaches' teams were from 2002-2018. This has nothing to do with ability relative to talent. Also, in the KenPom world, being really high on one aspect (offense or defense) and mediocre in another, is better than being pretty good in both aspects. As in KenPom thinks Tony Bennett is significantly better than Sean Miller.

As in KenPom thinks Tony Bennett is significantly better than Sean Miller.
oh, i don't think that's how pomeroy would analyze this table at all. it works on a diagonal, the upper right quadrant being the very best coaches. and then within that quadrant, it works on other diagonals. i've colorized that quadrant in the attached file. the gray square would be where you would find the highest rated coaches, the yellow next, followed by the blue and finally the orange. all of the coaches inside the larger quadrant are excellent, but those in the four colored regions are the elite, in ascending order. that makes bennet ahead of miller but not by that much
2018-10-17_18-04-42.jpg

oh, i don't think that's how pomeroy would analyze this table at all. it works on a diagonal, the upper right quadrant being the very best coaches. and then within that quadrant, it works on other diagonals. i've colorized that quadrant in the attached file. the gray square would be where you would find the highest rated coaches, the yellow next, followed by the blue and finally the orange. all of the coaches inside the larger quadrant are excellent, but those in the four colored regions are the elite, in ascending order. that makes bennet ahead of miller but not by that much
View attachment 142027
Except it's not a linear diagonal which this graph gives the appearance of, but a Pythagorean one. So if your offensive rating was 19 for example and your defensive rating was 1 (imagining that a higher defensive rating is better), your net rating would be 19.2 or so. But if your offensive and defensive rating was 10 each (adding up to 20 like before), your net rating would be 14 or so.

Is this just active? Where is Bo Ryan?? His teams were always incredibly loved by KenPom. Honestly, I can never take him seriously because of those outliers.

Except it's not a linear diagonal which this graph gives the appearance of, but a Pythagorean one. .
i don't know what the reddit user who posted it claimed, but this is a simple two axis plot of unadjusted average offensive efficiency and average defensive efficiency.

i don't know what the reddit user who posted it claimed, but this is a simple two axis plot of unadjusted average offensive efficiency and average defensive efficiency.

Oh, I agree about the graph. I'm saying that the graph isn't a great representation of how KenPom stats work. I should have been more clear above. The reddit user created a linear graph of two stats that KenPom intends to be used in a Pythagorean manner. The graph that I posted doesn't match well with how KenPom stats actually work.

Is this just active? Where is Bo Ryan?? His teams were always incredibly loved by KenPom. Honestly, I can never take him seriously because of those outliers.
Yeah, only coaches who were active last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom