Carmelo and the Refs | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo and the Refs

longislandcuse

Living Legend
What is it about him that he doesn't get the calls a rookie would get, forget all-star players. It's becoming ridiculous this year and I am glad media personalities are calling this out now. On SC this morning Stephen A. Smith made mention of this and the Knicks broadcasters on tv and radio recently (past couple games) have started railing on the officiating of Carmelo. Spero Dedes last night during the radio broadcast blatantly attacked the refs for an offensive foul they called on Melo.

A bad non-call probably cost the Knicks the Dallas game.
I was driving to the city and had it on the radio, the radio play-by-play guys for the Knicks were in shock that Melo didn't get the call on the And-1. Knicks media personnel have been VERY vocal about this lately.

I was driving to the city and had it on the radio, the radio play-by-play guys for the Knicks were in shock that Melo didn't get the call on the And-1. Knicks media personnel have been VERY vocal about this lately.

That's because the Knicks have been very vocal about it lately. To be honest, they aren't going to get a lot of calls with the way they treat officials. Most teams have one or two guys that complain here and there. The Knicks have 6 or 7 guys that complain damn near every time they shoot the ball.

As well as he's been playing h's gotta stop turning it over. I think he's had 14 the last two games...oy.

the complaining is definitely over the top but he has been getting clobbered with no calls downlow..often it seems he isnt flailing after he gets hit. its funny, the nba doesn't want flopping but if you don't flail and go straight up getting clobbered your not getting a call.. they can't have it both ways.

On SC he looked bad for not getting back on D. I wish he would just play on. He will eventually get the calls. He just looks like he is being a crybaby which sucks beacuse he is my favorite player.

I've always wondered this as well. No idea why it is, but he definitely doesn't get calls rookies would get.

44cuse

Alan Hahn spent about 30 mins on this today. Its like Dolan put a media hit on the refs with all his media people. They all came out at the same time and have just gone in on the officiating of Melo.

On the flip side it KILLS me to hear Breen and Clyde not even acknowledge that the Knicks r getting screwed. They only harp in the Knicks reactions which may be correct but atleast acknowledge the hosing going on.

On the flip side it KILLS me to hear Breen and Clyde not even acknowledge that the Knicks r getting screwed. They only harp in the Knicks reactions which may be correct but atleast acknowledge the hosing going on.
Im convinced Breen hates the Knicks. Hes the most annoying announcer. Its like he goes out of his way to be negative so he doesnt sound like a homer.

Clyde and Breen just don't like the way he plays. They are quite transparent. Melo is having the best season and is on the best team in the NBA currently. Mike Breen better stop hating, as he is going to look foolish come playoff time. Melo is outplaying his peers to this point in the season. These guys should hop on board the train and ride it to June.

As well as he's been playing h's gotta stop turning it over. I think he's had 14 the last two games...oy.

I think that's the point ... a charge is a turnover. And it seems like scrubs - guys that are barely in the league flop and get charges on Melo all the time.

One thing I will say...Melo's arm flailing, over-demonstrativeness seems to work against him. It's my least favorite part of his game. Play the game son... stop barking at the officials after every play. He was so busy barking, he let Harden go in for an uncontested dunk in transition defense last night.

I think that's the point ... a charge is a turnover. And it seems like scrubs - guys that are barely in the league flop and get charges on Melo all the time.

I dunno. I see charges most of the time. Make a pull-up J and don't let it come to a 50/50 call.

I hear ya SoBeCuse. I hear you. It's to the point though where if there is a switch and he goes into the post, a charge is called a larger percentage of the time. And its been that way for his entire career. I'm not talking about just this year ... but when you compare the forays and low post play of Wade/James versus Melo is completely ridiculous. The same damn calls that Wade almost always gets (which needs to change for the betterment of professional basketball) and then some of the worst defensive players of the game get away with flopping and get calls against Melo.

Peace

Not even Kobe has gotten as beneficial a whistle as Dwayne Wade through his career. Honestly, I think this huge onset of flopping and being demonstrative really came in to vogue after Dwayne Wade had a parade to the free throw line in the '06 NBA Finals. He would jerk his head on any touch and fall to the ground on EVERY move down the lane...and he got call after call. Guys like Derrick Rose and others patterned their game after this mold...where you almost try to force the officials to make a call every time you drive.

It's been that way his whole career. There are times that it seems like he's too thick and strong in his upper body and core. He gets pounded on the way to the bucket, but doesn't flail into the first row like D-Wade does. Also, he gets T'd quicker than any star player. LeBron could stab an official, but if 'Melo looks at a guy wrong he gets the T.

It's been that way his whole career. There are times that it seems like he's too thick and strong in his upper body and core. He gets pounded on the way to the bucket, but doesn't flail into the first row like D-Wade does. Also, he gets T'd quicker than any star player. LeBron could stab an official, but if 'Melo looks at a guy wrong he gets the T.

Not to spoil the narrative, but Melo is currently tied for 6th in FTA per game this season...and has shot the 5th most free throws in the NBA over the past 9 seasons. Carry on though.. :)

Stats damn stats. Don't always mean what they allegedly spell out... your stat does not prove that Melo is not getting fouled on other plays. If Melo attempts 25 shots a game, gets fouled on 10, but only 6 are actually called ... you get the drift.

The narrative is that basically the NBA refs are clueless as to how to referee Melo. Further, the NBA league office needs to eradicate the "star" treatment that is getting worse and worse. Call the damn game without looking at the name on the back of the jersey. Wade makes me sick ... never seen a more disgusting display then in the '06 Finals. Disgusting. I'm a much bigger LeBron fan than Wade any day for that very reason.

Stats damn stats. Don't always mean what they allegedly spell out... your stat does not prove that Melo is not getting fouled on other plays. If Melo attempts 25 shots a game, gets fouled on 10, but only 6 are actually called ... you get the drift.

The narrative is that basically the NBA refs are clueless as to how to referee Melo. Further, the NBA league office needs to eradicate the "star" treatment that is getting worse and worse. Call the damn game without looking at the name on the back of the jersey. Wade makes me sick ... never seen a more disgusting display then in the '06 Finals. Disgusting. I'm a much bigger LeBron fan than Wade any day for that very reason.

Wade walks more than any player in the NBA. I remember watching a FIBA game (2010 world cup I believe) the refs called so many walks on Wade they didn't play him in the second half.

Agreed Gabjon. I love watching FIBA action for that very reason. Really enjoyed the Olympic tournament this past summer.

Dwayne Wade is probably the smartest player in NBA history. He finds a way to con the officials into giving him almost every call going to the basket. Then, as his knees are deteriorating...he plots and controls Lebron and Bosh and gets them to come to HIS team and do the heavy lifting so he can get a few more titles. The man is brilliant really. Sure, no one is going to look at it as Wade's titles... they will be Lebron's titles, but hey...2nd fiddle isn't bad either. He'll still go down as another Scottie Pippen and be in the NBA top 50 of all time most likely.

Now, he can take every 3rd game off and just save his energy for the playoffs. Gotta give the man credit. Miami was going nowhere with Wade as the main man. He needed someone to get him through 82 games.