Catholic 7 + Butler/Xavier | Syracusefan.com

Catholic 7 + Butler/Xavier

TBCuse11

Starter
Is it just me, or it this conference going to instantly be one of the top 5 in the country? Great pull for them to add Butler. This is a pretty legit conference. Good for them...

only until the football conferences exit the NCAA entirely . . . at which point I guess it would make them the #1 conference

(don't tell anyone, but I'd rather be in that conference than the one we're headed to)

I think i agree. Better talent overall. Outside of Duke and UNC, not much to get excited about basketball-wise in the ACC.

Syracuse may be an ACC team but the Catholic East will be my favorite conference to watch outside Orange games.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

summary: "Man. Does the shade of green ever stop getting greener on their side of the fence?"

After watching BYU/Zags last night I was wondering if storz could do the same thing BYU does. BYU is indy in football and in the WCC for everything else. Would it make sense for storz to join the BE hoops league for all other sports and go indy in football?

Certainly a top 6 conference year in and year out, especially since the "old" BE and the A-10 are now decimated. That leaves the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, PAC 12, and MWC, in addition to the "new" Big East. In some years it may even be a top-2 league. On average, I'd say it's 3rd or 4th.

Certainly a top 6 conference year in and year out, especially since the "old" BE and the A-10 are now decimated. That leaves the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, PAC 12, and MWC, in addition to the "new" Big East. In some years it may even be a top-2 league. On average, I'd say it's 3rd or 4th.

I think its a top 3 conference most years. That is IF they continue to get recruits.

here's an interesting experiment

if you rank the conferences based on average Pomeroy score, the current Big East is #2 at .8306, behind the B1G at .8607. These are the only two conferences above .8000

if you consider just the Catholic 7, the average is .7618, which would be good enough for 5th behind the ACC, Mountain West and Pac 12 but ahead of the Big 12 (or, actually, 4th because the Big East would no longer exist).

now, if you consider the Big TBD after everyone exits and the newcomers join (UConn, Cincy, USF plus UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Temple and Tulane), the average is .6502 - 11th best, behind the WCC and ahead of CUSA . . . and the CUSA average would actually be higher than it currently is, because the four members it is losing to the TBD are all below the league average!

I'm wondering if this league will have any direct impact on SU. Assuming they get to hold on to MSG for the BET, will we see a recruiting impact? Philly, NJ, DC/Maryland area have all been hotbeds for SU, but will apparently remain BE territory.

It's almost like the Big East starting again 30+ years later. SHU, SJU, Georgetown, Providence, Nova all remain minus SU, UConn, Pitt, BC, forming a strong basketball conference. They keep a quality program in Marquette and add strong programs in Xavier/Butler. If DePaul ever could figure it out, who knows what they could add. I'd love to have SU playing in this league if it were possible, but with football running the world, that's obviously never going to happen.

Maybe we can get a reboot on the ACC/Big East Challenge?!?!

I think its a top 3 conference most years. That is IF they continue to get recruits.
I don't see why they wouldn't getting similar players. With a new TV contract likely coming from Fox Sports Net to be the premiere league on those networks, kids will be seen all over the country. Keeping the BET in NYC will likely seal the deal that this conference will compete as a top 3-5 league.

The question is whether these schools can start getting better recruits. Other than Georgetown at times, Villanova this decade and a few other recruits here and there, it's not like these schools have been pulling in top 10 classes. Will that change?

here's an interesting experiment

if you rank the conferences based on average Pomeroy score, the current Big East is #2 at .8306, behind the B1G at .8607. These are the only two conferences above .8000

if you consider just the Catholic 7, the average is .7618, which would be good enough for 6th behind the ACC, Mountain West and Pac 12 but ahead of the Big 12 (or, actually, 4th because the Big East would no longer exist).

now, if you consider the Big TBD after everyone exits and the newcomers join (UConn, Cincy, USF plus UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Temple and Tulane), the average is .6502 - 11th best, behind the WCC and ahead of CUSA . . . and the CUSA average would actually be higher than it currently is, because the four members it is losing to the TBD are all below the league average!

Except for Memphis. But the average of the group may still be lower. because they are bringing n bottom of the barrel CUSA teams otherwise.

Good post.

Whack stuff on CSNBBS about Richmond even being involved, with Dayton maybe getting shut out in favor of St. Louis. Sorry if posted elsewhere already

Duke, UNC, Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville and Syracuse along with whatever surprise ACC team has a great year makes for a great conference.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Also UVA is on it's way back now, NC State is usually decent, and I can't imagine Wake and Ga Tech will suck forever being that they've done well in the not so distant past.

(don't tell anyone, but I'd rather be in that conference than the one we're headed to)

We'd probably go undefeated in football against those schools every year too.

I hate all of them. Butler especially.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

After watching BYU/Zags last night I was wondering if storz could do the same thing BYU does. BYU is indy in football and in the WCC for everything else. Would it make sense for storz to join the BE hoops league for all other sports and go indy in football?
The thing that makes that arrangement work is that BYU is hugely valuable to ESPN, has a national religious following attending away games, and has their own tv station.

UCONN has none of that.

In closing, .

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think i agree. Better talent overall. Outside of Duke and UNC, not much to get excited about basketball-wise in the ACC.
what about louisville and Pitt.

Huh?

Yeah?

Miami is a joke. They will be irrelevant again in a year. No one else in the ACC would have ever sniffed the top 5 in the Big East over the past handful of years... Let me be clear, I am thrilled that we are going to the ACC. It will be fun and it will be a much easier conference than the Big East has been.

that being said, i am just happy for the Catholic 7 that they ended up in a very legit league that will be very competitive and will be in the top 5 among leagues annually.

Yeah?

Miami is a joke. They will be irrelevant again in a year. No one else in the ACC would have ever sniffed the top 5 in the Big East over the past handful of years... Let me be clear, I am thrilled that we are going to the ACC. It will be fun and it will be a much easier conference than the Big East has been.

that being said, i am just happy for the Catholic 7 that they ended up in a very legit league that will be very competitive and will be in the top 5 among leagues annually.

The upside of the ACC teams are higher. Clemson, NC State, Virginia will be good and even BC is starting to pull themselves back up to the respectability line. Miami is not a joke. That guy can both recruit and coach and they will be a very good program going forward.

The style of play is what will be easier. Aside from Pitt and Louisville (and maybe Virginia) there are no more meat grinder teams and we should see the offense open up when we get there.

The upside of the ACC teams are higher. Clemson, NC State, Virginia will be good and even BC is starting to pull themselves back up to the respectability line. Miami is not a joke. That guy can both recruit and coach and they will be a very good program going forward.

The style of play is what will be easier. Aside from Pitt and Louisville (and maybe Virginia) there are no more meat grinder teams and we should see the offense open up when we get there.

I think we will win the league in year 1 even with a frosh PG. We recruit athletes, and quite frankly the Big East has become a grab fest. We will be able to run and gun in the ACC, which should help us a ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom