'Catholic 7' may have lucrative tv contract | Syracusefan.com

'Catholic 7' may have lucrative tv contract

That would be good for them, if they can pull it off. Plus, if they're on FOX, the ACC can move into the Big Monday early slot. Works for me.

$5 million is lucrative?
2.5 times what they were making before, while also being very appetizing for Atlantic 10 teams. This will entice the likes of VCU, Butler, Xavier, etc.

Good for them. Butthurt much uconn?

I just hope they don't add Butler since they are not Catholic lots of people think Stevens team gets into the expansion.

X, St Lou, Creighton, Dayton likely for 11.

Bonnies, Drake, Fordham, Lasalle, St Joes are all possibilities to round it out.

But yeah I really hope Butler isn't in it they were Horizon just a year ago and now people gush over them like they are a long time powerhouse and assume they will be invited them and VCU are good fits for the A10.

I just hope they don't add Butler since they are not Catholic lots of people think Stevens team gets into the expansion.

Bonnies, Drake, Fordham, Lasalle, St Joes are all possibilities to round it out.

But yeah I really hope Butler isn't in it they were Horizon just a year ago and now people gush over them like they are a long time powerhouse and assume they will be invited them and VCU are good fits for the A10.

None of Bonnie's, drake, lasalle nor st joes will be in the new league I don't believe. Xavier is a lock and Butler is probably as well. St. Louis, VCU, George Mason, Creighton, Gonzaga, Dayton all possibilities.

Have the Fox people watched these teams play? Why would you ever pay $500 million for that product?

The bigger question is, if these schools can't retain the Big East name and MSG contract, where do they play their tournament? Philly? DC? If the C7 retain the name and the MSG contract, chances of the ACC ever playing there are very slim.

Now idea how they justify 5 mil per. Ratings are not there.

The very worst bowl games get bigger ratings than top rated basketball games. Markets don't really matter if no one watches, they aren't getting their own network like the B1G.

If it was 2 mil per WITH schools like UCONN, Lville, and Syracuse, then no way will they earn the network over 5 for being separate. If this deal gets signed then Fox is taking a calculated loss to try and push their network/product.

The bigger question is, if these schools can't retain the Big East name and MSG contract, where do they play their tournament? Philly? DC? If the C7 retain the name and the MSG contract, chances of the ACC ever playing there are very slim.

The Vatican?

Now idea how they justify 5 mil per. Ratings are not there.

The very worst bowl games get bigger ratings than top rated basketball games. Markets don't really matter if no one watches, they aren't getting their own network like the B1G.

If it was 2 mil per WITH schools like UCONN, Lville, and Syracuse, then no way will they earn the network over 5 for being separate. If this deal gets signed then Fox is taking a calculated loss to try and push their network/product.
And also Notre Dame.

Sure it would be great to have its own network and sell its own product.
Sure it would be great for Fox to make a ton.
But it doesn't matter to Fox.

Fox can push for young male demos.
Not only can it sell them, it can promote its other product to them.
Also, sports is becoming one of the few TV offerings that isn't getting socked with time-shifted viewing in which people can skip right through the commercials.
That is likely to result in an increasing premium for sports spots (notwithstanding generally declining viewership for college football and basketball).

I hope they get $5M per team because their gameday revenue is going to fall. How many SJU games will be played at MSG vs. Caresecca? How many games will Nova move to Wachovia? If you look at the attendance numbers of the bball-onlies, their biggest games were primarily against the fball schools. Who is going to sell-out Georgetown's home games? No one in that league.

If Fox pays that group that amount they will lose so much money in add revenue, the persons who negotiated the deal will be fired within 2 years, and never work in the industry again.

I hope they get $5M per team because their gameday revenue is going to fall. How many SJU games will be played at MSG vs. Caresecca? How many games will Nova move to Wachovia? If you look at the attendance numbers of the bball-onlies, their biggest games were primarily against the fball schools. Who is going to sell-out Georgetown's home games? No one in that league.

SJU won't have much of a decrease in attendance. SJU will still have plenty of grest OOC matchups to play there. Losing rutgers from the schedule really going to do much? Boeheim already trying to get games against SJU every year at MSG as is Mike Brey. I don't think it will be an issue and there is likely to be more high profile OOC games against SJU at MSG than in the past, subbing for what used to be conference games.

SJU won't have much of a decrease in attendance. SJU will still have plenty of grest OOC matchups to play there. Losing rutgers from the schedule really going to do much? Boeheim already trying to get games against SJU every year at MSG as is Mike Brey. I don't think it will be an issue and there is likely to be more high profile OOC games against SJU at MSG than in the past, subbing for what used to be conference games.

Average attendance:
2012 - 8,400
2011 - 8,400
2010 - 6,100
2009 - 5,400
2008 - 5,800
2000 - 10,700 (coming off of an Elite 8 season)
1993 - 9,300 (coming off of the last time SJU won the BE Conference title)

I going to assume that Pitt, WVU, SU and UConn all draw higher than the averages. Only RU, USF and UC bring in below average attendance. SJU isnt replacing all of those games, especially with Dayton, Butler, X, Creighton...

And Im not sure boosting your OOC schedule is going to really do much. #16 Arizona brought in 9,000 fans last year. #9 Duke brought in a whooping 13,000 fans a few years ago.

I knew SJU had poor attendance...but after looking up these numbers I had no idea that your fanbase truly blows.

This is the point that's getting overlooked in all this. These giant NBA arenas will be half empty at best.

Niagara/ Canisius should be in the mix