Caught the Dematha vs. Frank Howard's Paul VI. Great game! | Syracusefan.com

Caught the Dematha vs. Frank Howard's Paul VI. Great game!

HyattsCuse

Scout Team
I got to catch a couple Dematha games this past week when they played Gonzaga and Paul VI. They are really fun to watch this year, one of the top teams in the country. Their sets are crisp and their offense is really impressive to watch with a lot of movement with and without the ball that often results in open looks or drives to the basket. I don't know how the offense would translate to the next level, but maybe Red should talk to the coach Mike Jones a bit for some pointers.

Paul VI of course has our own Frank Howard. First time I've seen him play and definitely impressed! He was the primary point guard for Paul VI. He looked to be very comfortable running their offense and handling the ball. He must've had 18-22 points though a bunch of those were at the end when Paul VI was trying to make a comeback. I felt like he could have easily scored more but he seemed more focused on getting other teammates involved. One potential thing that might get him in trouble at the next level is whenever he drove left, his right arm would pop up like a chicken wing leading with the elbow. I was shocked he didn't get any offensive fouls since that elbow made connection with a Dematha player a few times. He also put a sleeve on one of his legs (presumably the ACL knee) in the second half that he didn't have on in the first half. He seemd to be moving just fine though.

Not sure if we're going after either guy, but VJ King on the Paul VI team is ridiculous. No one could guard him. He was giving DJ Harvey, a 5 star recruit for Dematha fits to the point that Harvey was visibly frustrated and didn't play nearly as much or as well as he has been.

The other guy I would love to get is Markelle Fultz on Dematha. The kid is a flat out baller. While I think Howard is really good, I think Fultz might be better (of course I've seen Fultz several times and Howard only once). He gets to the rim at will, has a second gear in the open court, great leaper with excellent body control to consistently finish at the rim. He also is a great rebounder for 6'4" guard and just has a nose for the ball, in the right place all the time. I've seen quite a few Dematha and WCAC games in general over the years and this kid just seems to be a step above any of the competition.

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure Francis would know of these other dudes you're speaking of.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. We need Franklin to come in and be able to play PG relatively quickly so it's good to hear he's comfortable at the position.

I know we have offered VJ King, but have no idea where we stand with him.

jekelish said:
I know we have offered VJ King, but have no idea where we stand with him.

He hasn't mentioned us lately.

But who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom