CBB Future Power Rankings | Syracusefan.com

CBB Future Power Rankings

Doc5120

Starter
Here's an interesting article from espn. Note: you have to be an insider to access it. I copied & pasted the portion on Syracuse. 'Cuse comes in at # 8 behind Duke, UK, KU, Louisville, Florida, MSU & AZ.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-teams-most-likely-succeed-next-three-seasons

Below is the breakdown of how they made their evaluations.

COACHING (25 percent): Quality of coaching staff over next three seasons, with heavy emphasis on the head coach
CURRENT TALENT (25 percent): Quality of players currently in the program, focusing on the future
RECRUITING (25 percent): Projected quality of 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, and recruiting momentum
PROGRAM POWER (15 percent): Fan and institutional support, facilities, resources and tradition
STABILITY (10 percent): Accounts for potential roster and coaching staff turnover
For a full breakdown of the College Basketball Future Power Rankings methodology, click here.

syracuse_183.jpg

The bar graphs reflect the average rating given by the voters for each category.
Category averages are weighted by importance to generate overall score.

Why they're here:
Jim Boeheim has had it rolling in Syracuse for quite a while, and while it's still unclear how much longer he'll remain head coach, the succession plan of assistant Mike Hopkins taking over will help ensure that the Orange don't take a huge hit. Boeheim is considered one of the better coaches, he recruits extremely well, and the support is significant from both fans and administration. It seems as though the 'Cuse reload every year, and this season will be no different, even after losing three starters. The Orange will still be a top-10 team and already have two top-50 recruits locked up for 2014. --Jeff Goodman
What could change: Recruiting will be different for the Orange in a new league, but not appreciably different. If anything, trips to Duke and North Carolina will enhance the Orange's swagger. Change will come when Boeheim leaves, but that won't happen soon, as he is committed to the 2016 Olympics. As long as coach-in-waiting Hopkins remains, Syracuse will recruit well, and the Orange can sell continuity. --Jay Bilas
Name to know: Mike Hopkins. The coach-in-waiting is the key to the future of Syracuse basketball, and he has his fingerprints on every aspect of the program -- as one of the best recruiters in college basketball, as a talent developer, and as an innovative floor coach. But most importantly, he is a sounding board for Boeheim. He and fellow alums Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara make up a staff that is on the same page, understands the system and believes in the product. --Seth Greenberg

Uconn unranked.

Mwahahahahahahah

I nearly edited the end of the article with "," and was going to make a comment about how a certain syracusefan poster "must have gotten his hands on this article before it was released for print." Being that you're the first to respond, I really regret not doing that now!

I nearly edited the end of the article with "," and was going to make a comment about how a certain syracusefan poster "must have gotten his hands on this article before it was released for print." Being that you're the first to respond, I really regret not doing that now!

Shows you what people outside of Storz think of the savior Kevin Ollie.

arizona? they have been off the map for a decade.

I'm surprised to see Arizona (who hasn't been to a Final Four since 2001) in the Top 7 instead of UNC.

This is really just looking at the next 3 years, not the next decade. Still, AZ came as the biggest surprise to me as well. They have a bunch of top recruits already in the program and a couple of 4 stars coming in. And Sean Miller seems to be the "it" coach these days. Their "program power" received a rating of 9, which seems awfully generous to me. The rest of the teams listed ahead of Syracuse seem much more deserving of their ranking than AZ.

yeah Arizona might be a tad too high, but then again, maybe not. Miller is a good coach and they've recruited like gangbusters the last few years

Shows you what people outside of Storz think of the savior Kevin Ollie.

52 offers for the next two classes and only 1 commit will do that to you.

I know their 1 commit is a terrific guard prospect and they got that other guard from NC State (Purvis) to transfer, but they are fast on their way to becoming a mid-major team built on a handful of combo guards and no big men.

Of course we shouldn't gloat too much, because that could have been us. But I think that even if we had not made it to the ACC, having the Dome and the revenues we generate, plus the Carmelo Center, would keep us in better shape than UConn. I mean, UConn has a limited home court, they don't get to play in MSG anymore and if they have a big game, they have to go 40 miles off campus to Hartford.

Not a recipe for success.

52 offers for the next two classes and only 1 commit will do that to you.

I know their 1 commit is a terrific guard prospect and they got that other guard from NC State (Purvis) to transfer, but they are fast on their way to becoming a mid-major team built on a handful of combo guards and no big men.

Absolutely. You would think that based n what their fan base is saying they have the next dream team.

That program is destined for many years of mediocrity and will be lapped by many schools.

I'd like to take a brief moment from saying "F this, " to actually talk about our own team. Our position right now is obviously really good. The recruiting is at an all-time high. The brand of SU basketball is at an all-time high.

And while I have great confidence in Hopkins, the one thing that makes me nervous is still the impending Boeheim retirement. Granted, this isn't a problem that only Syracuse faces (What happens when K hangs it up? Or Izzo? What happens if Cal gets sanctioned...wait, who am I kidding?). I truly believe that kids will go anywhere to play for a legend. Will they go to Syracuse to play for a legend's #2? I think so, but there's no way of knowing.

Also, Bilas's point is an interesting one. He thinks playing Duke and UNC will give us more swagger, which I agree with. But, playing in the Big East was a big draw too. I'm certainly more comfortable with the switch to the ACC, now that the Big East is almost dead (RIP). It's pretty much the best of both worlds (playing in the best conference and against Duke/UNC).

I'd like to read the rest of the article, but I'm not going to pay for it. :noidea:

Absolutely. You would think that based n what their fan base is saying they have the next dream team.

That program is destined for many years of mediocrity and will be lapped by many schools.
well, in the interest of fairness, perhaps you could give a summery of what you think of UConn's future?

while I have great confidence in Hopkins, the one thing that makes me nervous is still the impending Boeheim retirement. Granted, this isn't a problem that only Syracuse faces (What happens when K hangs it up? Or Izzo? What happens if Cal gets sanctioned...wait, who am I kidding?). I truly believe that kids will go anywhere to play for a legend. Will they go to Syracuse to play for a legend's #2? I think so, but there's no way of knowing.

This troubles me too but for a slightly different reason. Obviously JB helps draw the attention of top recruits just because he's JB. But I sincerely believe that Hop is just as big a reason for landing those recruits as JB is. The kids love Hop and he seems to develop closer relationships with the players and recruits than Jimmy does. I have every confidence in him as recruiter, coach and rightful heir to Boeheim. But will he stick around another 3 - 4 years, waiting to take over? It makes me very nervous to consider the possibility that we could be without JB and Hop come 2017. Someone set me straight and put my mind at ease please!

I don't know Hop on any personal level, but the fact that he has stayed with JB this long, and my impression that he not only bleeds orange but is a family man kind of guy who would like to keep the family in the comfortable confines of the home they know, suggests to me that he is SU for the long haul. The kind of guy who can be comfortable with a very nice income, enough to take very good care of his family, and not be drawn to a better financial deal somewhere else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. In this sense, I believe he is more like JB in character and values than whatever his attack might be if he actually takes over the helm.

Boeheim is considered one of the better coaches, he recruits extremely well, and the support is significant from both fans and administration. It seems as though the 'Cuse reload every year, and this season will be no different, even after losing three starters. The Orange will still be a top-10 team and already have two top-50 recruits locked up for 2014. --Jeff Goodman

I shouldn't be so sensitive, but "one of the better coaches" really bothers me. JB is one of the coaches that other coaches respect the most. He was chosen as an assistant for the U.S. Olympic team by the most respected coach in the game. The only people who don't appreciate his abilities as a floor coach are pundits like Jeff Gooman (and Syracuse.com posters).

I'd like to take a brief moment from saying "F this, " to actually talk about our own team. Our position right now is obviously really good. The recruiting is at an all-time high. The brand of SU basketball is at an all-time high.

And while I have great confidence in Hopkins, the one thing that makes me nervous is still the impending Boeheim retirement. Granted, this isn't a problem that only Syracuse faces (What happens when K hangs it up? Or Izzo? What happens if Cal gets sanctioned...wait, who am I kidding?). I truly believe that kids will go anywhere to play for a legend. Will they go to Syracuse to play for a legend's #2? I think so, but there's no way of knowing.

Also, Bilas's point is an interesting one. He thinks playing Duke and UNC will give us more swagger, which I agree with. But, playing in the Big East was a big draw too. I'm certainly more comfortable with the switch to the ACC, now that the Big East is almost dead (RIP). It's pretty much the best of both worlds (playing in the best conference and against Duke/UNC).

I'd like to read the rest of the article, but I'm not going to pay for it. :noidea:

The thing is, the Dome will still be here. It is a unique environment to play in. That and the Melo Center will keep us in the mix, and I anticipate Mike having great success his first few years, so long as JB does not over-stay his time, and we witness a decline before he leaves. Leave on top, big fella!

I shouldn't be so sensitive, but "one of the better coaches" really bothers me. JB is one of the coaches that other coaches respect the most. He was chosen as an assistant for the U.S. Olympic team by the most respected coach in the game. The only people who don't appreciate his abilities as a floor coach are pundits like Jeff Gooman (and Syracuse.com posters).

I finally got around to reading the article. And the point system was suppose to be based upon where they are now and through 2015-16. Well, if one assumes that JB and K both will be around through 2016 due to their commitment to the 2016 Olympics the coaches ranking for this part came out to the following:

COACHING (25 percent): Quality of coaching staff over next three seasons, with heavy emphasis on the head coach

1) K, Izzo, and Pitino tied for first
4) Donovan
5) Self
6) Calipari
7) Beilein and Bo Ryan
9) Jimmy B
10) Matta

Really?

Amazing that he still doesn't get the credit he deserves even by the so-called experts.

Cheers,
Neil

I finally got around to reading the article. And the point system was suppose to be based upon where they are now and through 2015-16. Well, if one assumes that JB and K both will be around through 2016 due to their commitment to the 2016 Olympics the coaches ranking for this part came out to the following:

1) K, Izzo, and Pitino tied for first
4) Donovan
5) Self
6) Calipari
7) Beilein and Bo Ryan
9) Jimmy B
10) Matta

Really?

Amazing that he still doesn't get the credit he deserves even by the so-called experts.

Cheers,
Neil

I'd have JB above the 2 guys directly above him there. The other guys? You could get into a debate about Cal for sure. But the other guys ahead of him all have excellent arguments.

To me, I would have a bigger issue with the stability rating. They've got Duke at 8.5 and SU at 8.4; I'm not going to quibble with a tenth of a point, but I guess that is a nod to the fact that both coaches are getting up there in years? We already know who is going to replace JB though.

Just playing around with the numbers, if you changed SU's coaching ranking to equal UK's, we wouldn't move a spot in the rankings. If you changed it to match K/Izzo/Pitino (which I don't think I'd do, but just saying) they'd move to 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom