Champs League | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Champs League

Congrats, you Scouse. Enjoy it.

Good to see your name pop up around here again.

Still lurk frequently, and will try and post more. Family and work take precedence but getting back to where I can focus on extracurriculars once more.

Haven't stopped bleeding orangeh though heavy red tinge at the moment

Bizarre how Spurs didn’t find space four Moura here (example: over Kane )

Delli Alli has been terrible for almost 2 years.
He was a petulant, borderline-dirty player his first couple seasons when he came to prominence. But as he has tried to rein in those impulses to commit bad fouls and dirty play, he has lost an edge. He's kind of like Diego Costa in that respect. He never got it going for Atletico on his return.
I think off the back of his recent hat trick, Moura certainly deserved the start more than Delli.

Sorry brother... But we needed this one
It sucked but that run was phenomenal. There were points when Spurs weren’t going to make it out of the group stage and probably shouldn’t have made it past Citeh or Ajax. Such a fun run and excited to see what they do with the money now that the stadium is finished. Also helps that I’m not nearly as big of a Spurs fan as I am a Bayern fan. Never had a Prem team but went to a Spurs bar with bnoro a few years ago and became a fan by default.

It sucked but that run was phenomenal. There were points when Spurs weren’t going to make it out of the group stage and probably shouldn’t have made it past Citeh or Ajax. Such a fun run and excited to see what they do with the money now that the stadium is finished. Also helps that I’m not nearly as big of a Spurs fan as I am a Bayern fan. Never had a Prem team but went to a Spurs bar with bnoro a few years ago and became a fan by default.
Spurs are the Chicago Cubs of the EPL.
They have all the advantages but always screw up in the end.
Man United are the Yankees
Liverpool are the Red Sox
Man City are the Dodgers
Arsenal are the Cardinals

Sorry about Bayern as well... We certainly didn't get gifted the same easy path this go round. The CL trophy is beautiful but think Liverpool and City fans would trade trade in a heartbeat if possible

Delli Alli has been terrible for almost 2 years.
He was a petulant, borderline-dirty player his first couple seasons when he came to prominence. But as he has tried to rein in those impulses to commit bad fouls and dirty play, he has lost an edge. He's kind of like Diego Costa in that respect. He never got it going for Atletico on his return.
I think off the back of his recent hat trick, Moura certainly deserved the start more than Delli.
Exactly. I’m happy for Liverpool was slightly cheering for them but no major skin in the game. However, Tottenham yes they had a good run but that wasn’t a very inspired performance. Did nothing with the ball in possession and some of the managerial decisions were a bit confusing.

Exactly. I’m happy for Liverpool was slightly cheering for them but no major skin in the game. However, Tottenham yes they had a good run but that wasn’t a very inspired performance. Did nothing with the ball in possession and some of the managerial decisions were a bit confusing.

Pochettino has one foot out the door. No spending for 2 windows, and the stadium went 600M over budget. Daniel Levy was already a notorious cheapskate, who waits until the very end of the window in annual games of "chicken" to see what transfer business he can do on the cheap.

That's not what this team needs. They need investment right now, and if Levy doesn't give them a "trophy" signing before camp opens in July, a lot of guys are going to agitate to go. Pochettino will be first out the door, although Zidane coming back to Real probably scuppered the deal he was hoping for.

Liverpool has been my #2 team ever since Brendan Rogers. Before Guaridiola, they were the most attacking team in the Premier League. And I have a man-crush on Klopp, by far my favorite coach.

Pochettino has one foot out the door. No spending for 2 windows, and the stadium went 600M over budget. Daniel Levy was already a notorious cheapskate, who waits until the very end of the window in annual games of "chicken" to see what transfer business he can do on the cheap.

That's not what this team needs. They need investment right now, and if Levy doesn't give them a "trophy" signing before camp opens in July, a lot of guys are going to agitate to go. Pochettino will be first out the door, although Zidane coming back to Real probably scuppered the deal he was hoping for.

Liverpool has been my #2 team ever since Brendan Rogers. Before Guaridiola, they were the most attacking team in the Premier League. And I have a man-crush on Klopp, by far my favorite coach.
Spurs have to invest this window, otherwise the core will be gone next chance that they get, and Spurs will be back to a middling squad not threatening for anything of worth. Their window is closing fast. They need to be proactive now.

Spurs have to invest this window, otherwise the core will be gone next chance that they get, and Spurs will be back to a middling squad not threatening for anything of worth. Their window is closing fast. They need to be proactive now.

They need to sell Kane, whom they are much more dangerous without, and reinvest that money to support Son, Erikson, and Moura

They need to sell Kane, whom they are much more dangerous without, and reinvest that money to support Son, Erikson, and Moura
Theyd get a Kings ransom for Hurricane, no doubt

Chelsea selling Hazard and Tottenham selling Kane would make the EPL race a 2 horse race again.
I wonder if those teams will go after Philip Countino.

He is getting pushed out of Barcelona

Chelsea selling Hazard and Tottenham selling Kane would make the EPL race a 2 horse race again.

Coutinho's shite. The same issues he had playing for us in the prem haven't gone.
He's too small, too frail and has no top end speed... Those don't fly in England.

Watch Newcastle under new ownership and Arsenal depending whom they have coaching to challenge the top 4. Spurs could be dangerous as well depending on this transfer window... They picked out with all poch's landing spots taken

I don't know about that. You need a target man in the Premier League, especially now that everyone is going with the forward press against opponents to prevent them playing out of the back.

You need that guy you can boot it upfield to, and he gives you the hold-up play to get your offense started. I thought Giroud was brilliant in that regard against Arsenal in the Europa League Final. With Kane, you have one of the best in-box goal poachers in the world, and the guy just scores goals.

If Spurs sell King Harry, then they are going to go back to being a mid-table team.

I'm torn about selling Hazard. I almost don't mind seeing him go, to be honest. He was terrible in the dressing room, he has been lobbying for this transfer publicly for two years, and by quitting on the team, he got 2 coaches fired - Mourinho and Conte.

This season was his best season by far. He did help bring 2 Premier League titles in his 6 years, so that's pretty good, but he still under-achieved, in my book.

Chelsea is only a couple players away from being elite again, even without Hazard.

If they could get Mauro Icardi out of Italy, who they have been tracking since they dumped Diego Costa, that would be great. Icardi is still only 26 and he has some nastiness and physicality about his game that I think would translate very well to England.

I think we also need a young right back, because Azpilicueta is losing some pace, and he has become a bit of a liability defensively. In a few games down the stretch, I saw Chelsea give up a couple headers at the back post on his side because he allowed himself to be sucked in too centrally. That happens when a player starts to lose his quickness; he plays deeper, he plays closer to the goal, he doesn't play way out on the wing, where he can be isolated one-on-one.

Otherwise, I think Chelsea is in great shape. Kepa is a fine young goal keeper. In central defense you have Tony Rudiger, Andreas Christensen, David Luiz and Kurt Zouma (loan).

You've got Emerson and Marcos Alonso on the left wing. We can bring back Victor Moses, who could get a new chance at right back or right wingback under a new manager. We've got a couple youngsters who might deserve a shot here, like Trevor Chalobah or Ola Aina. I saw that we still own Kenedy, too.

Whoever the new coach is when Sarri departs for Juve, I just hope we bring back everyone for camp so the coach can get a look at them all.

In central midfield, we have Jorginho, who people love to hate, but he's like a poor man's Cesc Fabregas. Doesn't generate quite as many assists, but also not quite as bad defensively, and he keeps the ball moving. I would take a second look at a bunch of people in midfield - Izzy Brown, Danilo Pantic, Charly Musonda, Lewis Baker or Mario Pasalic. Bakayoko could even come back for a second shot as a holding midfielder, because honestly, Kovacic gives us very little in that position. I think Ross Barkley is going to get some run next year, too.

Up front, it looks like we should start with Olivier Giroud and Tammy Abraham. Let Higuain go; he didn't fit the squad very well, and he was the one having arguments with everyone down the stretch of the season. He shouldn't be here next year. If they can't buy a new center forward like Icardi because of their transfer ban, then I guess you bring Michy back as the third center.

That's their weak spot for now, but Giroud did win the Golden Boot for the Europa League. If you made him your number 1 guy, I would bet that he gets you 15 goals in the Premier League. Then use Abraham as your number 2, and I could see 10 more goals from him. He did get 26 in the Championship last year.

I think they will have plenty of attacking talent. Even if you don't add anyone new, you have Willian, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi, and Christian Pulisic on the wings or in the 10 spot. That's not bad. And you will have Loftus-Cheek making the driving runs from midfield.

This could still be a very good team next year without anyone else, if you just bring back a bunch of loanees, and find 3 or 4 who can fill out the squad next year. It would take 2 or 3 signings for them to challenge for top spot in the league.

Last edited:
I'm torn about selling Hazard. I almost don't mind seeing him go, to be honest. He was terrible in the dressing room, he has been lobbying for this transfer publicly for two years, and by quitting on the team, he got 2 coaches fired - Mourinho and Conte.

This season was his best season by far. He did help bring 2 Premier League titles in his 6 years, so that's pretty good, but he still under-achieved, in my book.

Chelsea is only a couple players away from being elite again, even without Hazard.

If they could get Mauro Icardi out of Italy, who they have been tracking since they dumped Diego Costa, that would be great. Icardi is still only 26 and he has some nastiness and physicality about his game that I think would translate very well to England.

I think we also need a young right back, because Azpilicueta is losing some pace, and he has become a bit of a liability defensively. In a few games down the stretch, I saw Chelsea give up a couple headers at the back post on his side because he allowed himself to be sucked in too centrally. That happens when a player starts to lose his quickness; he plays deeper, he plays closer to the goal, he doesn't play way out on the wing, where he can be isolated one-on-one.

Otherwise, I think Chelsea is in great shape. Kepa is a fine young goal keeper. In central defense you have Tony Rudiger, Andreas Christensen, David Luiz and Kurt Zouma (loan).

You've got Emerson and Marcos Alonso on the left wing. We can bring back Victor Moses, who could get a new chance at right back or right wingback under a new manager. We've got a couple youngsters who might deserve a shot here.

Whoever the new coach is when Sarri departs for Juve, I just hope we bring back everyone for camp so the coach can get a look at them all.

In central midfield, we have Jorginho, who people love to hate, but he's like a poor man's Cesc Fabregas. Doesn't generate quite as many assists, but also not quite as bad defensively, and he keeps the ball moving. I would
Chelsea is screwed next year. They are selling Hazard and have the UEFA ban 2 windows where they can’t add anyone in the transfer market.
If Hazard would have stayed one more year Chelsea could have survived the transfer ban. They really need Pulisic to come in and be an impact CAM.
Chelsea will fight for top 4 in the EPL but losing Hazard puts a gap between them and Man City/Liverpool.

The new coach won’t be able to add talent for 2 transfer windows.
If CAS gives Chelsea an Injunction and they get to add a Hazard replacement this cycle and then sit out the next 2 windows that would help them.

Chelsea is screwed next year. They are selling Hazard and have the UEFA ban 2 windows where they can’t add anyone in the transfer market.
If Hazard would have stayed one more year Chelsea could have survived the transfer ban. They really need Pulisic to come in and be an impact CAM.
Chelsea will fight for top 4 in the EPL but losing Hazard puts a gap between them and Man City/Liverpool.

The new coach won’t be able to add talent for 2 transfer windows.
If CAS gives Chelsea an Injunction and they get to add a Hazard replacement this cycle and then sit out the next 2 windows that would help them.

Yeah, I agree. But I still think that with the right coach (Allegri), this team could still make top 4 without any new signings, just by bringing back a half dozen of the 40+ guys who make up the "Loan Army" to freshen up the squad.

I don't know about that. You need a target man in the Premier League, especially now that everyone is going with the forward press against opponents to prevent them playing out of the back.

You need that guy you can boot it upfield to, and he gives you the hold-up play to get your offense started. I thought Giroud was brilliant in that regard against Arsenal in the Europa League Final. With Kane, you have one of the best in-box goal poachers in the world, and the guy just scores goals.

If Spurs sell King Harry, then they are going to go back to being a mid-table team.

Spurs were more successful in PL and CL without Kane.

Think it's fair to point out that City and Liverpool do not have target men and Spurs play much more like them without Kane. Son, Erikson, and Moura all play much better when they can break at pace Vs work through Kane. Somehow the peices just don't fit quite right with Kane... Almost like Kobe where you know he wasn't passing back so team mates just stop and watch and defenders catch on quickly.

Spurs were more successful in PL and CL without Kane.

Think it's fair to point out that City and Liverpool do not have target men and Spurs play much more like them without Kane. Son, Erikson, and Moura all play much better when they can break at pace Vs work through Kane. Somehow the peices just don't fit quite right with Kane... Almost like Kobe where you know he wasn't passing back so team mates just stop and watch and defenders catch on quickly.

The modern trend is high pressing teams, and yes, a target man isn't always up for all that running, since they tend to be bigger guys.

But I've watched a lot of football, and if a team is being pressed and not coping with it well, you certainly benefit from a guy you can boot it down the field to as your hold up man. In fact, I think it's necessary to have that option in your kit bag. I've seen the limitations of teams playing small guys as a false nine. I've also seen the benefits of having a big striker for his impact on set pieces.

In the end of your analysis in the linked article, they said that overall, Spurs did about the same with or without Kane last year, which is a testament to Son and Lucas Moura's improvement this year.

The modern trend is high pressing teams, and yes, a target man isn't always up for all that running, since they tend to be bigger guys.

But I've watched a lot of football, and if a team is being pressed and not coping with it well, you certainly benefit from a guy you can boot it down the field to as your hold up man. In fact, I think it's necessary to have that option in your kit bag. I've seen the limitations of teams playing small guys as a false nine. I've also seen the benefits of having a big striker for his impact on set pieces.

In the end of your analysis in the linked article, they said that overall, Spurs did about the same with or without Kane last year, which is a testament to Son and Lucas Moura's improvement this year.

Yes it's great option to have but given their financial situation they could do well to strengthen elsewhere and have a Llorente type off the bench when needed. They won't move him due to his being the current England "chosen one" but just seems square peg Vs round hole for what they have around him. Will be curious to see how they try and rebuild their formation with Erikson leaving but I inherently feared them more without him.

That said, teams without solid aerial CB play and/or LB and RB pressing way up the pitch will certainly continue to struggle with him. If they're looking to close the gap and take more points of top clubs though they'll need to counter on the wings to try and catch Virg, Laporte, Rudiger, etc out of position since he can't run by our out jump them.

Curious what Chelsea look like sans Hazard as well to try and break lines

Yes it's great option to have but given their financial situation they could do well to strengthen elsewhere and have a Llorente type off the bench when needed. They won't move him due to his being the current England "chosen one" but just seems square peg Vs round hole for what they have around him. Will be curious to see how they try and rebuild their formation with Erikson leaving but I inherently feared them more without him.

That said, teams without solid aerial CB play and/or LB and RB pressing way up the pitch will certainly continue to struggle with him. If they're looking to close the gap and take more points of top clubs though they'll need to counter on the wings to try and catch Virg, Laporte, Rudiger, etc out of position since he can't run by our out jump them.

Curious what Chelsea look like sans Hazard as well to try and break lines

I don't think of Kane as such a "square peg" fit at Tottenham, and remember what Spurs were like before his emergence as a bona fide star. They struggled to make top 4 before; they're now a near-certainty to make it.

I agree that wing play is essential in today's Premier League, and at the top levels in Europe. That's what Real Madrid and Bayern Munich had in spades for several years. I think one of the smartest things that Pochettino did at Spurs was recruit and train up "double backs", so he had depth and options and his guys didn't get so worn down from all the action required of them by his system. But then Levy sold a couple important guys, and Pochettino phased out a couple others, and now they're not as deep as they once were.

As for Chelsea, I remember when we had to transition away from Drogba, Lampard, Terry and Cech. I think we will be OK, and I think that if they hire Max Allegri, they will be top 4 again next year, even if the transfer ban is upheld.

I think that for all the early plaudits for his attacking football (more vertical tika-taka, some called it), Sarri's stubbornness and tactical inflexibility held the team back after the New Year. Say what you want about Conte (namely, that he treated the players like chess pieces that he moved around the board, and his sideline direction got tiresome); he was flexible and changed formations to suit the squad and the circumstances.

I think Allegri is a winner, and will keep / instill a winner's mentality. I also like Italian coaches for their tactical proficiency. If you look at the Chelsea lineup for next year and you bring back about 5 quality guys who were on loan, and they're like new signings to inject to life (and competition for places) into the squad.

As much coaching turnover as there has been at Chelsea over the years, the squad has been coached by some of the very best coaches in the game. And while each coach might focus on different aspects of the game for their particular system, the players have taken in a lot of coaching ideas over the years, and are the better for it, in my opinion.

I think that even with no signings, a Chelsea squad with Giroud and Tammy Abraham up front, Willian, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic as wingers is a good attacking unit. Maybe not that one elite guy, but certainly enough talent among them to get you 50 goals.

If you ditch Kovacic, who was hardworking but not very skilled, then you've got a midfield with Loftus-Cheek, N'golo Kante, Ross Barkley, Jorginho, and Timoue Bakayoko (who had a good year in Italy). Bring in a couple of the younger guys for squad depth and cup matches (Mason Mount, Mario Pasalic or Lewis Baker), and that's a pretty good midfield.

At the back, you bring back Victor Moses, Kurt Zouma, Kenedy for competition on the wing, and one or two of the young guys like Michael Hector from Sheffield Wednesday or Ola Aina who played in Italy last year, and add them to Tony Rudiger, Andreas Christensen, David Luiz, Caesar Azpilicueta, Marcos Alonso and Emerson, and that team seems loaded to me.

Kepa is a fine goal keeper. If Willy Caballero doesn't leave, he's a fine backup. Plus they signed that guy Eduardo, who played for Portugal's national team, and has good European experience. He could certainly be your Cup keeper if Willy leaves.

I don't think we fall off a cliff if the ban is upheld. I like that squad better than a lot of clubs if they actually chose to use their depth for once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom