Change in recruiting strategy? | Syracusefan.com

Change in recruiting strategy?

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
While we previously went more after grad transfers, this year (at least to this point) we are looking more at traditional transfers who will have more time to be on campus, though they have to sit out a year. Wonder if this is a new trend. Also hope this is a good sign that Dino isn't looking for a quick fix to move on and is looking to stick around for a while.

I don't know if it is that so much as the ability to add blue chip-caliber talent that just happen to need to sit out a year.

What seems clear is that Dino is looking to significantly upgrade the skilled talent on this team by any means possible - even if it requires having to wait a year. I think that our skilled talent [overall, we obviously have some pretty good players now] is going to be unrecognizeably good in a couple of years, with the way recruiting is going.

Just imagine what will happen once this staff starts to win.

Also hope this is a good sign that Dino isn't looking for a quick fix to move on and is looking to stick around for a while.

I hope so too since there isn't a realistic "quick fix" for what ails our program. (Don't read this as my being negative about the future. I just plan on being patient.)

Also hope this is a good sign that Dino isn't looking for a quick fix to move on and is looking to stick around for a while.
I don't think it was ever about a quick fix as much as filling in glaring deficiencies. If we keep taking grad transfers year over year, particularly for the same positions, there's a real problem.

I don't think it was ever about a quick fix as much as filling in glaring deficiencies. If we keep taking grad transfers year over year, particularly for the same positions, there's a real problem.

Yep. Even Addazio, who we all love to make fun of, ran out of real estate on grad transfer QBs. It just doesn't work. Have to develop someone young and take your lumps. And maybe one of your RBs will turn into superman overnight and make the whole process easier.

I like getting the talented transfers in now, even if they can't play for another 18 months. Step up the level of competition in practice. And when it is their time, they've been thru 2 Springs and one full season, they're game ready.

Good times ahead. I don't know the ceiling, given all of our well funded competitors who also have a good coaching staff. But we're going to be a better team to watch.

Yep. Even Addazio, who we all love to make fun of, ran out of real estate on grad transfer QBs. It just doesn't work. Have to develop someone young and take your lumps. And maybe one of your RBs will turn into superman overnight and make the whole process easier.

I like getting the talented transfers in now, even if they can't play for another 18 months. Step up the level of competition in practice. And when it is their time, they've been thru 2 Springs and one full season, they're game ready.

Good times ahead. I don't know the ceiling, given all of our well funded competitors who also have a good coaching staff. But we're going to be a better team to watch.

You saw the ceiling on Oct. 13, 2017.

We would have made a bowl this year if Dungey stayed healthy.

Developing depth and having a QB that is not out of his mind when running the football will be two keys moving forward.

* Love Dungey but he's a crazy person the way he plays and it's inevitable that he'll get nicked up late in season

Too soon to say -- about grad transfers.

We knew about Butler by this point in the last cycle, but AET in 2016 was a mid-March development; and in 2017, Valdez and Martin were mid-March and later. We have several spots where a grad transfer could have impact in 2018 (WR, LB, secondary), if the right candidate wants to play for SU.

Big change in strategy. They are recruiting players who have a chance to be competitive in the ACC, some of whom are actually being recruited by other P5 programs and who would be re-recruited by other P5 programs should they transfer.

I'm not so sure it is a change in recruiting strategy as simply recruiting from the best available talent. Similar to each recruiting cycle there is a shift into where programs focus their recruitment depending on need and where they see the best talent for their system.

Getting best players available at positions of need. How novel!

While we previously went more after grad transfers, this year (at least to this point) we are looking more at traditional transfers who will have more time to be on campus, though they have to sit out a year. Wonder if this is a new trend. Also hope this is a good sign that Dino isn't looking for a quick fix to move on and is looking to stick around for a while.

I think the two traditional transfers just happened to fall into our laps because of prior relationships. I don't think it's a strategy or trend.

I don't know if it is that so much as the ability to add blue chip-caliber talent that just happen to need to sit out a year.

What seems clear is that Dino is looking to significantly upgrade the skilled talent on this team by any means possible - even if it requires having to wait a year. I think that our skilled talent [overall, we obviously have some pretty good players now] is going to be unrecognizeably good in a couple of years, with the way recruiting is going.

Just imagine what will happen once this staff starts to win.
He's trying to upgrade the overall talent on this team. We are not very good right now. Haven't been to a bowl in years. Him being an offensive coach its easier for him to convince transfers who are at less than ideal situations to come join a somewhat proven quality offense. Despite needing top DL, OL, LB talent its much more difficult presently to recruit those positions without a track record of quality. I see little improvements but it will take more time to get to that level of overall talent and depth to compete in one of the nations top football conferences.

Good point.

I think the main change is this: jettison fourth/fifth-year guys (see DBs) who won't play next year in exchange for highly coveted transfers that won't play next year.

Loving it.

year 1 - he only had so much time to get it all together. ( do your best to get what you can't) and if i remember right we were short on recruits from years before.
year 2- You know your weaknesses and need to shore some up (wins,looking good against the ACC important !!)
year 3-many your 1st years guys are ready to play (less of a need for the stop gap players) i suspect this is how it will be going forward ,hear on out .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom