Changes moving forward? | Syracusefan.com

Changes moving forward?

Dmcnabbrules

All Conference
So sitting at 2-3 isn't where SU or us fans wanted to be. The question becomes where to we go from here? I can't blame the defense too much as they have really exceeded expectations. I see three major problems and I hope someone smarter then me can help suggest some solutions.
1. Lack of playmakers in the passing game.
Someone else has to step up besides these two. The passing game has been solid but another threat is needed. This offense has to score at least 35 points a game with the style they are attempting to play. My choices are splitting Neal out wide and using Pierce more as a receiver.

2. Establish some kind of running game or completely ditch it.
If we can't find a change in the line or at running back I say we take out the traditional running back. Put Elmore back there as mainly a blocker. He could lead on the QB run plays and on jet sweeps. He might allow Pierce to run routes more and not pass protect.

3. Play better special teams.
No more Cole Murphy kicking off or Sean Riley returning punts would be my first change. Orange isn't good enough to keep making mistakes on simple plays. Find someone else to kickoff or just started squib kicking every time. Riley is fine on KOs but there has to be some better option on punts. As long as it's not Ish or Erv please give someone else a try.

I would love to know what others think might help.

Riley did have a big 34 yd PR late in the 4th yesterday to flip the field & set up our last TD drive. On his only other return, he almost turned something out of nothing with a nasty spin move but lost his footing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nykiem or even Moe get a shot. Riley had that very costly muffed punt vs MTSU. Unless there's an injury we don't know about, Pierre hasn't played a single snap on offense since fumbling vs CMU because, as Dino said, "ball security is job security".

Reactions: CIL
So sitting at 2-3 isn't where SU or us fans wanted to be. The question becomes where to we go from here? I can't blame the defense too much as they have really exceeded expectations. I see three major problems and I hope someone smarter then me can help suggest some solutions.
1. Lack of playmakers in the passing game.
Someone else has to step up besides these two. The passing game has been solid but another threat is needed. This offense has to score at least 35 points a game with the style they are attempting to play. My choices are splitting Neal out wide and using Pierce more as a receiver.

2. Establish some kind of running game or completely ditch it.
If we can't find a change in the line or at running back I say we take out the traditional running back. Put Elmore back there as mainly a blocker. He could lead on the QB run plays and on jet sweeps. He might allow Pierce to run routes more and not pass protect.

3. Play better special teams.
No more Cole Murphy kicking off or Sean Riley returning punts would be my first change. Orange isn't good enough to keep making mistakes on simple plays. Find someone else to kickoff or just started squib kicking every time. Riley is fine on KOs but there has to be some better option on punts. As long as it's not Ish or Erv please give someone else a try.

I would love to know what others think might help.

Most ppl had us at 3-2. I think giving up the run or using MP more is the one thing they can do. I’m not worried about WR/playmaking. Special teams are ok.

I want effecient offense. That’s it.

Riley has turned it up nicely this year, he is fine until we can find a better option
Hoef has been damn close to our MVP with his skills punting the ball, special teams are just fine
We are fine having the 2 main WRs as our play makers and having the other WR step up from time to time is fine
At this time it's time to pull out the Mike Leach playbook and just sling the ball around

if this team gains not 1 oz. more talent, but starts to consistently execute and show some maturity and discipline, they'll be fine. this means: you dont' drop passes. you dont get called for stupid penalties. there will be incomplete passes, and there will be penalties, its the drops and the stupid penalties they need to avoid.if there's a recurring theme this season, its sloppiness and a lack of preparation. Grow up, take your job seriously and play like you're getting paid $250k to do it.

1- Move Neal to the slot. He is great in space and we should take advantage of that. Could be an oustanding option to replace Erv next year but needs work there.
2- Try out different running backs.

I'm frustrated as well, but I'm not sure anything other than time and patience is needed. Nobody should expect anything close to a finished product at this point. More, and better talent will be coming with each class, and with each day, the players familiarize themselves with the systems, and in turn, players become better and better. We're ok. Are we bowling this year? Highly unlikely. If we look at out team after Dino's 4th year, and aren't experiencing improvement overall, then we have a problem. As of right now, I don't see a problem, other than we all want to win right now.

What do you think happens in practice every day?

Some people play better in games than practice. If Strickland is a beast in practice it sure isn't translating to the game. Nobody can do worse than what he is providing on the ground right now.

Last edited:
You can't just ditch the running game. NC State had a linebacker on Philips most of the game. If we abandon the running game, there is no reason for that linebacker to be in, he would be replaced by a DB and it would become much harder for Erv to get open in space.

I think the running plays are okay. The execution of the running plays is another matter.

Some people play better in games than practice. If Strickland is a beast in practice it sure isn't translating to the game. Nobody can do worse than what he is provide on the ground right now.

Wayne Gallman was an All-ACC running back last year. It took him 4 games to make his NFL debut.

Tough to expect a couple of 18 year old true freshman to bump a 3 year player after only a few weeks.

Pierre will play when he's ready. He'll play quicker if he stops fumbling.

Wayne Gallman was an All-ACC running back last year. It took him 4 games to make his NFL debut.

Tough to expect a couple of 18 year old true freshman to bump a 3 year player after only a few weeks.

Pierre will play when he's ready. He'll play quicker if he stops fumbling.

The 3 year player isn't a good player or even producing at a high level. Just like the Giants it is time for a change.

But they're not getting paid and it's not a job. So...?
ah yeah, they are. cuse all in cost around $65k. to have that invyour pocket means you need
to earn around $100k. so basically they're getting pd $400k to play college football. whether the whole system is equitable is another matter.

Interesting that staff didn't bring in a 5th year or JUCO running back. Considering how bad the running game was last year, and they did so for other positions...

Interesting that staff didn't bring in a 5th year or JUCO running back. Considering how bad the running game was last year, and they did so for other positions...
The combined point margin in our three losses this year (24) is less than our individual losses against Louisville (34), South Florida (25), Clemson (54), or Florida State (35). Also, our closest margin of defeat last year was 15, against NC State and Pitt.

So there were more pressing needs. Not to mention the whole Gus Edwards thing.

The combined point margin in our three losses this year (24) is less than our individual losses against Louisville (34), South Florida (25), Clemson (54), or Florida State (35). Also, our closest margin of defeat last year was 15, against NC State and Pitt.

So there were more pressing needs. Not to mention the whole Gus Edwards thing.

Yeah, Kudos to Richt. He’ll be smiling a lot when he’s studying film for our game and realizes what we need most. Too bad he had to send Gus to the Ash hole. 56-0, Gus.

Yeah, Kudos to Richt. He’ll be smiling a lot when he’s studying film for our game and realizes what we need most. Too bad he had to send Gus to the Ash hole. 56-0, Gus.
But, got to believe there were other potential 5th years out there. Heck, I would've been thrilled to have the 5th year senior rb from Troy...

Riley did have a big 34 yd PR late in the 4th yesterday to flip the field & set up our last TD drive. On his only other return, he almost turned something out of nothing with a nasty spin move but lost his footing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nykiem or even Moe get a shot. Riley had that very costly muffed punt vs MTSU. Unless there's an injury we don't know about, Pierre hasn't played a single snap on offense since fumbling vs CMU because, as Dino said, "ball security is job security".
If ball security was job security, Dungy would be on bench. Cant say that about part of team ya know. Has to be all of team.

If ball security was job security, Dungy would be on bench. Cant say that about part of team ya know. Has to be all of team.
Ok. Any other brilliant thoughts you'd like to share?

So true. Butler has a higher QB rating too.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom