Charles Barkley, does he bring anything to the coverage? | Syracusefan.com

Charles Barkley, does he bring anything to the coverage?

Flacusian

All Conference
There must be people that think he has some kind of redeeming qualities but I for one, don't feel as though he brings anything to the table in the way of insightful commentary. Is he there just for the element of having some comedic element?

He's chubby. Or rotund I guess.

I liked Barkley's line about Jamie Dixon's new contract. "Didn't he just lose? If he won they would have signed him through 2050."

I do like the capital one commercial where his mom holds up a huge pair of tighty whitties!

To the coach of Fla Gulf Coast:

"Coach where is your school even at"

Pretty damn funny. In the nba games, his analysis is the best in the game imho

he quite clearly does not watch college basketball until the tournament. Kenny smith is the same way. They both know basketball - but they dont know these teams.

How hard is it to have a college crew?

he quite clearly does not watch college basketball until the tournament. Kenny smith is the same way. They both know basketball - but they dont know these teams.

How hard is it to have a college crew?
Have you seen Espns studio crew? You really pine for digger, gottlieb, Brennan, et al?

Have you seen Espns studio crew? You really pine for digger, gottlieb, Brennan, et al?

no...

How hard is it to put Bilas, Reece, Pearl, and a former college player (scoop) on a set?

CJ said he heard Sir Charles' (and Shaq's!!) prediction for Cal and it motivated the team.

Looking back it reminds me of the Oklahoma game in 2003 where we knew we were going to win. The Sooners had no idea how to attack our zone. The final score was flattering to our opponent. Kueth said something about the look in the Oklahoma players' eyes during the opening possessions.

(PS - we should take away that degree or certificate or whatever that Shaq got here!)

Pre Weight watchers, Fat jokes. Post Weight Watchers, It's CBS's version of Honey BOo BOO

He's there for the clown show and CBS knows people will talk about him.

What other analysts get numeorus internet chatter threads about how bad they are on fan forums across the country during every tourney?

You might not like him, but people can't stop talking about him...

Old addage: "No such thing as bad publicity..."

Who cares what this guy thinks about these games, he has a gambling problem which really means he has a gambling losing problem.

I don't like Barkley's commentary either, but one thing he said yesterday that I totally agree with is when he took the sideline reporter to task for asking Shaka Smart about leaving for recently-announced coaching vacancies at bigger schools, just minutes after VCU's defeat. I think that's totally classless. It's like approaching someone at his wife's funeral and asking about his plans for re-marriage and if he's interested in that single secretary in the front office. I recall some female reporter asking Roy Williams about this in the tunnel after Kansas' NC defeat, and he called her on it.

I don't like Barkley's commentary either, but one thing he said yesterday that I totally agree with is when he took the sideline reporter to task for asking Shaka Smart about leaving for recently-announced coaching vacancies at bigger schools, just minutes after VCU's defeat. I think that's totally classless. It's like approaching someone at his wife's funeral and asking about his plans for re-marriage and if he's interested in that single secretary in the front office. I recall some female reporter asking Roy Williams about this in the tunnel after Kansas' NC defeat, and he called her on it.
Famous last words: "I've got a bunch of seniors crying in the locker room...I don't give a about North Carolina".
images

Yes, I remember seeing that classless interview: "I've got a bunch of seniors crying in the locker room...I could give a about North Carolina".
But afterwards, he signed with North Carolina.

As I recall, those comments by Williams was preceded by : "I don't blame you for asking that insensitive question. You probably have some Producer telling you what to ask".

I'm no Williams fan, and yes, he did sign with UNC, but that was really a terrible time to bring that up. It's like any shred of human decency goes out the window in the name of "investigative reporting".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom