Chewbang | Syracusefan.com

Chewbang

kcsu

Living Legend
Dont sleep on Chewy this year. He looks like he is ready for a break out year. I realize that its only 2 exhibitions against inferior competition but his hands and overall coordination seem improved. I have a hunch he is going to become a major contributor this season.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why we can’t get a chant going of “Cheeeeewwwww!” Very aggravating.

giphy.gif

Dont sleep on Chewy this year. He looks like he is ready for a break out year. I realize that its only 2 exhibitions against inferior competition but his hands and overall coordination seem improved. I have a hunch he is going to become a major contributor this season.
He was actually pretty good last season, and his presence at the back of the zone was a major factor in the NCAAT run.

He was a major contributor last season.

He was actually pretty good last season, and his presence at the back of the zone was a major factor in the NCAAT run.
I totally agree. He seemed to get better through the entire season. I feel one of his largest contributions was his work on free throws moving from a liability in crunch time to a plus. Towards the end of the season and through the NCAAT he was not a person the opponent wanted to intentionally foul to stop the clock. He seems to be picking up with the same stroke in the exhibition games. Would still like to see him go after his 2nd red shirt for the eye injury. I realize he may not want to use it and just move on but why not get it just in case? He could be a huge help in developing the incoming big man next year.

I totally agree. He seemed to get better through the entire season. I feel one of his largest contributions was his work on free throws moving from a liability in crunch time to a plus. Towards the end of the season and through the NCAAT he was not a person the opponent wanted to intentionally foul to stop the clock. He seems to be picking up with the same stroke in the exhibition games. Would still like to see him go after his 2nd red shirt for the eye injury. I realize he may not want to use it and just move on but why not get it just in case? He could be a huge help in developing the incoming big man next year.
Great point about about his free throw shooting. He really did become very reliable from the line and probably made the difference in a few games.

If im him i take the 6th year finish grad school and then make a great living playing for a team in possibly the league if not overseas. If we could get him back for a sixth it would really help.

If im him i take the 6th year finish grad school and then make a great living playing for a team in possibly the league if not overseas. If we could get him back for a sixth it would really help.
Are you implying the NBA?

How's Paschal going to stay with guys like Embiid or Anthony Davis?

Last edited:
Strength, technique, footwork, court awareness, free throw shooting...those are things that can improve with time, practice, coaching, and great effort.

Improving "hands and overall coordination, especially at 7-2, much more difficult.

Let's hope you are right.

Are you implying the NBA?

How's Paschal going to stay with guys like embid or Anthony Davis?
Listen, at some point every SU scholarship player gets mentioned as possibly having NBA talent, and every player also gets raked over the coals. It's what we do here.

Listen, at some point every SU scholarship player gets mentioned as possibly having NBA talent, and every player also gets raked over the coals. It's what we do here.

I know, and I realize I'm pretty harsh on PC. His case is very interesting now that it's raised. I wonder how much man to man he's ever played (for some reason, feels like he came to hoops later in life). Can you imagine him guarding a big man for Golden State then having to switch off on Steph? Or Kyrie?

I know, and I realize I'm pretty harsh on PC. His case is very interesting now that it's raised. I wonder how much man to man he's ever played (for some reason, feels like he came to hoops later in life). Can you imagine him guarding a big man for Golden State then having to switch off on Steph? Or Kyrie?
I hear you. I think he has worked very hard to make himself into a very good college center who will be attractive to a lot of pro teams overseas.

I hear you. I think he has worked very hard to make himself into a very good college center who will be attractive to a lot of pro teams overseas.

He needs to be at least serviceable on the offensive end. I hope he gives us something this year.

He needs to be at least serviceable on the offensive end. I hope he gives us something this year.
He won't need to give us much offensively with the firepower on this team. Just catch and finish when they decide to feed him, go up strong when he grabs an offensive board, and knock down two thirds of his free throws. He'll be fine.

Last edited:
With his rate of improvement, if he came back next year he would be one of the nation's top big men, getting it done on defense and on the boards. As he gets stronger and more experienced he is becoming more assertive and capable. His improved foul shooting indicates that he has hand eye coordination. Chewy has not hit his ceiling and neither has Marek.

I have little doubt he can find work overseas. Many were convinced Keita wouldn't play and he did. It's not that hard for a big man to find work overseas especially with a coach who has contacts that JB has.

With his rate of improvement, if he came back next year he would be one of the nation's top big men, getting it done on defense and on the boards. As he gets stronger and more experienced he is becoming more assertive and capable. His improved foul shooting indicates that he has hand eye coordination. Chewy has not hit his ceiling and neither has Marek.

19789999.jpg

He won't need to give us much offensively with the firepower on this team. Just catch and finish when they decide to feed him, go up strong when he grabs an offensive board, and knock down two thirds of his free throws. He'll be fine.
Honestly, all I really ask of him is to NEVER LAND an alleyoop pass. Dunk it, or take a seat on the bench please. I have no need for a 7'2" guy landing and dribbling out.

Paschal's reported improving confidence is all important here. It means not only that he is going to score more, but also that he has been responding very well to good coaching overall. I expect to see more blocks, more rebounds, and more steals from him.

A lot of that confidence is attributable to improved strength, which can be a very big deal for tall skinny guys banging up against much stronger fellas in the paint area. It can definitely mean a much more sure-handed grip on the ball when it arrives in your hands.

And we saw how he improved his free-throw shooting over the course of a season. The man is listening and is incorporating what he's hearing into a greater enjoyment of the game while he is out there.

I am fully expecting the same kind of improvement in his game this year, to the point where SU fans will be just as excited about his presence on the court as they were when Fab Melo played his position back in the day.

That's a lot to look forward to.

Trying to predict future performance based on only the most dismissive perceptions of past performances is not likely to earn you a reputation as a talent-assessment guru. You gotta factor in a player's demonstrated ability to improve, to correct his weaknesses, or else your projections are going to be way off most of the time...

Paschal's reported improving confidence is all important here. It means not only that he is going to score more, but also that he has been responding very well to good coaching overall. I expect to see more blocks, more rebounds, and more steals from him.

A lot of that confidence is attributable to improved strength, which can be a very big deal for tall skinny guys banging up against much stronger fellas in the paint area. It can definitely mean a much more sure-handed grip on the ball when it arrives in your hands.

And we saw how he improved his free-throw shooting over the course of a season. The man is listening and is incorporating what he's hearing into a greater enjoyment of the game while he is out there.

I am fully expecting the same kind of improvement in his game this year, to the point where SU fans will be just as excited about his presence on the court as they were when Fab Melo played his position back in the day.

That's a lot to look forward to.

Trying to predict future performance based on only the most dismissive perceptions of past performances is not likely to earn you a reputation as a talent-assessment guru. You gotta factor in a player's demonstrated ability to improve, to correct his weaknesses, or else your projections are going to be way off most of the time...
Do you still believe all of these nonsense words after watching him play against much smaller barely D1 guys tonight? He worked on the wrong muscle groups this summer. PC needed legs and ass workouts and it appears he did curls for the girls.

Chewbang was excellent last night. He is just getting started. This is basically his first year healthy or not sitting out. Forget his age he is a young player relative to game action. I expect him to improve as the year goes on. Would love him back for a sixth.

DONT EVER SLEEP ON CHEWY.