Chino | Syracusefan.com

Chino

Wow, that kid has bulked up. Props to him and the staff. Looks to be all muscle, too.

He's got a solid frame, with lots of room to continue to fill out.

He can / will be an important player in a reserve capacity for this team at some point down the road. I'm just not sure that it is going to come together this year for him. But he'll be a solid reserve in time.

Last edited:
He's got a solid frame, with lots of room to continue to fill out.

He can / will be an important player in a reserve capacity for this team. I'm just not sure that it is going to come together this year for him. But he'll be a solid reserve in time.

Yes no doubt. Will need him for sure as the season plays out.

Still waiting for that Jeremy McNeil-type player, who just comes in for 3 minutes, throat punches anybody who comes into the lane and fouls out. We need that type of aggression in the middle of our zone!

I'm of the mind he will give us good minutes this season. Especially in the first halfs of game against teams that like to pound it. Pitt for example. Obviously he won't play down the stretch of tight games because it will limit the offense but if he can buy Rak 4-5min in the first half of ACC game once he gets better acclimated it will make a big difference.

I'm of the mind he will give us good minutes this season. Especially in the first halfs of game against teams that like to pound it. Pitt for example. Obviously he won't play down the stretch of tight games because it will limit the offense but if he can buy Rak 4-5min in the first half of ACC game once he gets better acclimated it will make a big difference.

That would definitely be the way to use him.

Now's the time for him to see the floor.

McCullough got abused at the 5 yesterday. If he's our backup against Hampton, I'm not optimistic that Obokoh will get a chance during ACC play.

Watched North Carolina yesterday. Their front court is HUGE and athletic. We will need more than Christmas when we go up against the Tar Heels. We need Chino to step up THIS year…if only for spot minutes and in some games he will probably need to go more significant minutes.

Now's the time for him to see the floor.

McCullough got abused at the 5 yesterday. If he's our backup against Hampton, I'm not optimistic that Obokoh will get a chance during ACC play.

I thought he looked serviceable against Kennesaw State and I agree I thought we generally got abused inside when Christmas was not in. McCullough, Roberson and Johnson/Ginije are too slight to hold ground against a front line with any bulk. I would be continuing to get Chino some minutes because there is no way that he can't play and at least give fouls and force the opponent to score at the free throw line while Rak is on the bench.

No question he isn't a stud, but he can't be any worse then some of the guys we've trotted out as back up center over years. My god Erik Rogers got into 13 games on an 88 team that had Seikaly, Coleman, Brower and Harried in front of him and 14 games on an 89 team with Coleman, Owens, Rich Manning and Dave Siock all in front of him.

Having seen Chino play (extended minutes -?) Friday night and a possession on D last night - I thought he was good enough to be a limited action backup at center. Seeing how we got pushed around with Rak out and seeing Chino's bulk - I find it really, really hard to believe that he can't be used now in a way that would make him useful in a limited way by the end of the season.

Last edited:
I thought he looked serviceable against Kennesaw State and I agree I thought we generally got abused inside when Christmas was not in. McCullough, Roberson and Johnson/Ginije are too slight to hold ground against a front line with any bulk. I would be continuing to get Chino some minutes because there is no way that he can't play and at least give fouls and force the opponent to score at the free throw line while Rak is on the bench.

No question he isn't a stud, but he can't be any worse then some of the guys we've trotted out as back up center over years. My god Erik Rogers got into 13 games on an 88 team that had Seikaly, Coleman, Brower and Harried in front of him and 14 games on an 89 team with Coleman, Owens, Rich Manning and Dave Siock all in front of him. Having seen him play (extended minutes -?) Friday night and a possession on D last night - I thought he was good enough to be a limited action backup at center. Seeing how we got pushed around with Rak out and seeing Chino's bulk - I find it really, really hard to believe that he can't be used now in a way that would make him useful in a limited way by the end of the season.

Agree completely.

What we saw last night is only setting us up for teeth-gnashing throughout the conference season and disappointment in March.

Obokoh's going to take undeserved flak the whole while ("Why isn't a second-year player ready to contribute?") and some of us are going to look back on this month and wonder why we couldn't spare any time to get the young kid some learning experience. After all, he wouldn't have struggled defensively any more than McCullough (who simply got shouldered out of the way by Hampton's big men) did. And the offense/defense substitution, after Obokoh was in the game for (I believe) one possession was truly weird.

Watched North Carolina yesterday. Their front court is HUGE and athletic. We will need more than Christmas when we go up against the Tar Heels. We need Chino to step up THIS year…if only for spot minutes and in some games he will probably need to go more significant minutes.

UNC is really fast, esp after an opponents made basket...takes them only 4 seconds or so to get in half court offense.

That has always been a strength of Roy Williams teams when he has the right guys.

Of course their shooting sucked these past 2 games and there beloved incoming freshman didn't produce squat. As long as 'Cuse learns how to get back and form the zone quickly each time, the 3-2 will again take care of the Heels.

Of course their shooting sucked these past 2 games and there beloved incoming freshman didn't produce squat. As long as 'Cuse learns how to get back and form the zone quickly each time, the 3-2 will again take care of the Heels.

Agreed. That's when his teams are extremely dangerous when he has guys who can push but guys who can shoot trailing. They get loads of open 3's even when the defense gets back because they are scrambling a bit. Our match up with them will be all about two things. Us getting back on defense and us making them pay when they send 3 or 4 guys to the offensive glass by getting our own transition baskets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom