Chris McCullough and Kaleb Joseph earn All-America honors | Syracusefan.com

Chris McCullough and Kaleb Joseph earn All-America honors

Lydon on the 19th team? Dafuq?

HoustonCuse said:

He's a year behind those two though.

Never thought I'd say this when McCullough committed...

But...

We have one of the most underrated classes I've seen in CBB in a long time.

Trueblue25 said:
Never thought I'd say this when McCullough committed... But... We have one of the most underrated classes I've seen in CBB in a long time.

We only have two players coming in and were ranked in the top 25 for classes. I wouldn't call that underrated.

I'm honestly not that impressed from what I've seen with Joesph and if McCullough's rankings are dropping because scouts are seeing something that doesn't make him look as impressive as before or a flawed skill set this could be an extremely overrated class.

not Lydon, Richardson. Lydon didn't make it.

Francis first released this back in early January. It's not really "first team, second team" etc. It is just his top 100 player regardless of class. listed in groups of 5 at a time regardless of position.

McCullough is is 4th ranked PF both in his class and overall; Joseph is the #5 PG (class and overall). Richardson is the 24th ranked shooting guard overall, and 6th in his class.

Here is the info section of RSCI to tell you their methodology... No current major college coach contributes, of course. JB is probably better evaluating talent than these guys.

The formula for calculating the RSCI rankings is quite simple and completely objective. Here’s how it works:
  1. The process begins with a single top 100 list from one of the experts.
  2. The players listed are assigned points based on their position on that list. The top ranked player is given 100 points, #2 gets 99 points, #3 gets 98, and so on with #100 getting 1 point.
  3. Repeat step 2 for each of the top 100 lists.
  4. Finally, add up the scores based on all the lists and sort the players by their score in descending order.
It’s not exactly rocket science but it does achieve the desired effect of providing a more unbiased, consensus ranking, which one might argue, is even more accurate than any of the single top 100 lists alone.

However, this process is not without its pitfalls:
  • The RSCI formula is objective but the underlying ratings it is based on are not. This subjective aspect should never be underestimated.
  • Some experts include 5th year and prep school players (denoted by “*” in the RSCI rankings) in their top 100 lists and other don’t. This means that a really great 5th year player might be ranked #10 by one expert and not listed at all by the others, thereby dropping his RSCI ranking dramatically. In other words, RSCI rankings of 5th year players aren’t worth much.
  • By its very nature the RSCI rankings get less and less accurate the further down the list you move. The reason is twofold. First, the affect of a single, high rating from one expert can effectively override the prevailing opinion of the other experts that may have left the player off their lists entirely. Also, a player that just narrowly misses making 1 or more top 100 lists receives no points from those lists and is not effectively distinguished from all the others that were not ranked. For example, a guy ranked #101 gets the same zero points as a guy ranked #250 even though they clearly aren’t that close. Stated simply: “a miss is as good as a mile.”
http://www.rscihoops.com/

#14 Chris McCollough
#54 Kaleb Joseph

This ranking with two players, while both very highly ranked, will usually wind up with a rank barely in the top 25, based on total point ranking. Getting a group of 5 kids ranked around 50th in their class is probably better than getting two kids ranked around 35th in their class. After all, you need to put five guys on the floor.

In a Vacuum, Syracuse has a top 20 or so class coming in with those two guys... In a world where we know Fair is a pro and Grant and Ennis could go pro, we have exactly the best class for our team.