Christmas | Syracusefan.com

Christmas

Should Christmas redshirt?

• Yes, he'll always be a center he could use a year to develop behind Coleman and Keita

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No you idiot, he'd never agree to it. He'll beat out Coleman/Keita or play the 4.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
After two full years in the program, I think it's fair to say that Rak Christmas will never develop into a 4 in Boeheim's system. He's a 5 through and through.

So we enter the 2013-14 season with three centers. That's not going to work.

So my question is...should or could the staff convince Christmas to stay at SU and redshirt this coming season? Seems pretty far-fetched, considering he was the #2 rated center coming out of high school. But it might be the best possible solution to prevent a poisoned locker room throughout the season. Thoughts?

No chance.

If he is asked to redshirt, he might as well transfer. He's been a starter for the majority of his career and now he'll be asked to sit out the year? If anyone is to redshirt, it would be Coleman, but that isn't going to happen either.

I'd rather have him work even harder and spend the summer working on improving every aspect of his game. That would be more beneficial to him and the team than asking him to redshirt (followed by his transfer).

No chance.

If he is asked to redshirt, he might as well transfer. He's been a starter for the majority of his career and now he'll be asked to sit out the year? If anyone is to redshirt, it would be Coleman, but that isn't going to happen either.

I'd rather have him work even harder and spend the summer working on improving every aspect of his game. That would be more beneficial to him and the team than asking him to redshirt (followed by his transfer).

Disagree with the bolded text. It would be most beneficial to the program for Christmas to redshirt. Just don't know if he'd be willing to.

Hate to see any one of these three centers waste a season of eligibility riding the bench. And I also hate to see talented players transfer.

Too soon to give up on Rak. We'll return one scorer next season, and if CJ goes we don't return any. With a new point guard coming in Rak, Coleman, Grant, Cooney and Gbinije should all be preparing to make some buckets next season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I have nothing against X, though I was one of the few on this forum who felt he was over-rated even from day 1.

I hope he stays if he is willing to accept whatever his role might be.

However, the bottom line for me is that I am tired of playing 4 on 5 on the O end of the floor. The only one who can change that is DC2. Whatever it takes to make room for DC2 to get meaningful minutes should be the #1 priority at the 5 spot. Yes, there will be a learning curve for DC2 on D. We will need to pay that price early in the season. I have said all year long that Jimmy gave up on him too soon. I do not want to see that mistake made again.

Disagree with the bolded text. It would be most beneficial to the program for Christmas to redshirt. Just don't know if he'd be willing to.

Hate to see any one of these three centers waste a season of eligibility riding the bench. And I also hate to see talented players transfer.
100% he will not red shirt. Don't even think about it anymore. Won't happen.

we have what you call a log jam. it's usually a good problem to have, but not really in this case. if JB only had a way to combine Baye's defense, DC's offense, and Rak's athleticism we may be onto something.

with that said I will hold onto my prediction and Rak has played his last game for Syracuse. I felt he had a decent game yesterday. Another one of those games where you see glimpses, but just can't get the whole thing. I think our hot pursuit of Dakari, while we already had Obokoh on board was a tell tale that this staff knows something...which they did

Seems like Keita would be the better redshirt option. As great as he's been all year, I don't think his ceiling is as high as Rak and DC. Out of the three, he seems least likely and least eager to jump to the pros before graduation. If Keita sits out a year, Rak and DC will get more time and exposure, thus increasing the chance that at least one of them leaves. But if Keita and Obokoh both sit out and neither one of DC or Rak leave, we will have an even bigger problem the year after.

IMO...really can't blame our weakness at the center spot on the players too much. After Bernie, the AD & JB did NOTHING to bring in a good man to coach the bigs. There was no one on this coaching staff that did that. I sure hope they consider a new hire for next year.

Seems like Keita would be the better redshirt option. As great as he's been all year, I don't think his ceiling is as high as Rak and DC. Out of the three, he seems least likely and least eager to jump to the pros before graduation. If Keita sits out a year, Rak and DC will get more time and exposure, thus increasing the chance that at least one of them leaves. But if Keita and Obokoh both sit out and neither one of DC or Rak leave, we will have an even bigger problem the year after.
Keita has already redshirted

If rumors hold up, Rak wont be here next season so the issue will work itself out.

We're still putting trust in rumors?

Not to say he won't leave but the good ole rumor mill has been incorrect at least 99% of the time this year.

It's not beneficial to the program for someone like him to redshirt- what does that say to prospects? You redshirt a player to benefit the player NOT to ease a logjam. Best players play- always been JB's way.

I have nothing against X, though I was one of the few on this forum who felt he was over-rated even from day 1.

I hope he stays if he is willing to accept whatever his role might be.

However, the bottom line for me is that I am tired of playing 4 on 5 on the O end of the floor. The only one who can change that is DC2. Whatever it takes to make room for DC2 to get meaningful minutes should be the #1 priority at the 5 spot. Yes, there will be a learning curve for DC2 on D. We will need to pay that price early in the season. I have said all year long that Jimmy gave up on him too soon. I do not want to see that mistake made again.

Eh, playing 4 on 5 got us to the FF. It seemed like we were fine if our G/F's were hitting some shots - we just had a solid month where BT and JS were abysmal offensively, MCW wasnt' really making his way to the rim, and everyone seemed kind of eager to ignore CJ in the final 10 minutes of games. That had nothing to do with Rak/Baye - hell they were ignoring CJ.

Ultimately, we need Baye to keep on being Baye, and Rak to take another step in his development. He needs to be a bigger weapon on offense, but I don't think he's hurting us as much as others are pointing out. If DC can come in and do the opposite of Rak, get better on D, we should have an amazingly potent trio down low.

It's not beneficial to the program for someone like him to redshirt- what does that say to prospects? You redshirt a player to benefit the player NOT to ease a logjam. Best players play- always been JB's way.

So it's better for Christmas to kick him out of the program and/or burn his eligibility by letting him rot on the bench? I really don't follow that logic.

Hilton Armstrong redshirted his junior year after starting as a freshman and sophomore. Didn't seem to hurt UConn. It happens.

We're still putting trust in rumors?

Not to say he won't leave but the good ole rumor mill has been incorrect at least 99% of the time this year.

take it for what it's worth but i had it from a very reliable source that he was all but gone after the season. then again this was in October before the actual season began. I believe he was projected then to at least get drafted. Not sure if the current season has changed his mind at all, and haven't heard anything new since then, so I guess we will have to wait and see. I've said it before though there are plenty of places all over the world an athletic 6'9 250lber can go and get paid to play basketball.

take it for what it's worth but i had it from a very reliable source that he was all but gone after the season. then again this was in October before the actual season began. I believe he was projected then to at least get drafted. Not sure if the current season has changed his mind at all, and haven't heard anything new since then, so I guess we will have to wait and see. I've said it before though there are plenty of places all over the world an athletic 6'9 250lber can go and get paid to play basketball.

He just went to a FF and was texting Jimmy Fallon while being talked about on late night TV - a lot has happened since October.

I could understand him transferring to a program that he thinks will fit his skills better than Syracuse and where he can play power forward. I don't think he's dumb enough to quit school altogether, but it's his life.

Anyone think Keita could/should learn to play the 4 next year?

I think out of all our big's he'd be the best. I think he'd be far better at the 4 than XMas. He could back up Grant at the 4 and be a 3rd string center in case of foul trouble or injury.

he could work at the 4 mostly with occasional work at center either as the token starter(for the senior) at the 4 or as a reserve but whether starting or not id be trying to pair him up in front court with keita since keita knows the zone inside and out

Anyone think Keita could/should learn to play the 4 next year?

I think out of all our big's he'd be the best. I think he'd be far better at the 4 than XMas. He could back up Grant at the 4 and be a 3rd string center in case of foul trouble or injury.

There is no way you can have Keita and Christmas, or Keita and Coleman on the floor at the same time. If you think we had trouble scoring this year...

That Rak will either transfer or opt to go pro, probably overseas.

there is no way he transfers. that just means sitting out another year. if he leaves syracuse it will to play pro ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom