Chukwu's free throw shooting | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu's free throw shooting

RF2044

Living Legend
Remember when Paschal Chukwu couldn't hit a free throw? Yeah, me neither

Nice article about Pascal's clutch shots last night, with the game on the line.

The crazy thing is, I am really confident when he goes to the line now. Mirroring what Frank states in the article, I'm actually surprised when he doesn't make them these days.

He's come a LONG way from going 0-9 last year, starting out this season 1-6.

Wu has come a long way. But let's face it, if Evans nails that trey instead of hitting the rim, everyone would be moaning about the 2 free throws he missed in the last 1:07 instead of celebrating the 3 he made.

Chukwu’s quietly becoming a good center for us. All about confidence, hands and technique now
He has filled a role but we need more offense from the center position.

The post play and offensive rebounds aren’t enough from him and he is a 4th year kid.

The best part of his offense is his FT shooting.

The post play and offensive rebounds aren’t enough from him and he is a 4th year kid.

He needs to put in A lot of work in the offeason. Someone needs to just throw him 200 a passes a day to improve his hands.

I'm not going to defend Chukwu a ton here, as his offensive play leaves much to be desired. But one thing that stands out to me is that with a player like Chukwu, he's going to always be dependent on his teammates setting him up for scores. Yes, he'll get the occasional putback, but he's not heavy enough to seal position in the box and hold it -- so he can't set up inside to present himself as a target, so his teammates never look for him inside. Only when his teammates penetrate and require his defender to shift, that enables Chukwu to go to the rim for lobs. Too often, his teammates don't set him up.

And yes, I know he had that one pass yesterday from Battle he fumbled and didn't convert, but that was a pass in traffic. If our guys got into the lane more, Chukwu would have more scoring opportunities. They don't, so he doesn't.

Last edited:
Chukwu’s quietly becoming a good center for us. All about confidence, hands and technique now
Without his presence at the back of the zone, this team would not be showing up near the top in so many defensive metrics.

I'm not going to defend Chukwu a ton here, as his offensive play leaves much to be desired. But one thing that stands out to me is that with a player like Chukwu, he's going to always be dependent on his teammates setting him up for scores. Yes, he'll get the occasional putback, but he's not heavy enough to seal position in the box and hold it -- so he can't set up inside to present himself as a target, so his teammates never look for him inside. Only when his teammates penetrate and require his defender to shift, that enables Chukwu to go to the rim for lobs. Too often, his teammates don't set him up.

And yes, I know he had that one pass yesterday from Battle he fumbled and didn't convert, but that was a pass in traffic. If our guys got into the lane more, Chukwu would have more scoring opportunities. They don't, so he doesn't.
He's had a few games with multiple alley-oops. He doesn't always (or even usually) fumble them. We could get more of those if our guys could get into the lane more.

All I am saying is he doesn’t help on offense.
He is an anchor on defense but he plays a lot of minutes and can’t even be expected to just catch a pass.

We need another big next year.
PC is a 4th year guy this is his made product.

With that said I have more confidence with PC at line over anyone but Battle.

He's had a few games with multiple alley-oops. He doesn't always (or even usually) fumble them. We could get more of those if our guys could get into the lane more.

Yeah, I just don't agree with this at all. He's had more than a few games where he was passed the ball on an alley-oop that he decided to land instead of dunking the ball, and a few games where he's done this more than once. And typically coughed the ball up immediately once landing.

It speaks more to his teammates and their willingness to pull him along with them that they actually still attempt to get him the ball at this point. If I were Frank, he'd never see a pass from me unless he was the only one under the basket by 15 feet, minimum.

The crazy thing is, I am really confident when he goes to the line now. Mirroring what Frank states in the article, I'm actually surprised when he doesn't make them these days.

JB is really confident as well. At the end last night he didn't have anyone else on the line with him. That speaks a ton.

He needs to stand in the gym and have guys whip balls to him over and over. He should take a ball with him everywhere he goes and just constantly handle it. Haveing said that he is a definite asset. As Mareks offense comes on he will be left alone more often to receive passes

JB is really confident as well. At the end last night he didn't have anyone else on the line with him. That speaks a ton.
That had more to do with not wanting to commit an over the back foul on a missed free throw, which would send the opposing team to the other end to shoot free throws.

Great article on Frank. Kid gutted it out yesterday.

Chukwu has made some great strides in his game but still has a long way to go. Most likely we won't see Chukwu's best basketball until after he graduates. I have no idea what the Syracuse assistant coaches and strength coaches do and don't do but here is an article from last year on what the Jazz coaches did with Rudy Gobert to help him really improve. Not looking to go down the route ever again comparing the two players but we all know that big men take a lot longer to develop.
How the Utah Jazz built the next Bill Russell

He’s worked really hard at his free throws and it shows. He’s improved in so many ways this year. I can’t wait to see his progress next year.

Whoaaa. We agree on something. All points...spot on.

Why can’t he just get a running start jumpjust before the free throw line and dunk the ball?

I think when he was a kid every one in school could grab his candy from him.

Why can’t he just get a running start jumpjust before the free throw line and dunk the ball?

Cause it would look worse than this...

If you're going to keep pitchin' them straight down the middle of the plate, I've got no other options here...