CIRCLES | Syracusefan.com

CIRCLES

IDOC

Scout Team
I am no basketball guru but I do not see other team's 3 point shooters spend 40 minutes running in circles. They take mid-range jumper, drive to the basket when opportunity knocks and take the 3 when available. Shooters have peaks and valleys but if T.C. Is not having an on day play someone else. Give him an opportunity every game but not 35 minutes of running circles!

IDOC said:
I am no basketball guru but I do not see other team's 3 point shooters spend 40 minutes running in circles. They take mid-range jumper, drive to the basket when opportunity knocks and take the 3 when available. Shooters have peaks and valleys but if T.C. Is not having an on day play someone else. Give him an opportunity every game but not 35 minutes of running circles!

It's how this offense is designed this year.

I agree with this but wonder if the difference is that opponents have a defender glued to TC on every possession. However what you Don't See is a drive and a kickout to TC for an open look. That, I don't get!

SUFan44 said:
It's clearly been a work of art, the offense this year. And it hasn't changed at all.

I don't like the offense either. Too much ISO not enough set plays and it appears we are a poor fast break team because we don't rebound well on the defensive end and when we do get in the break it seems we make bad decisions or just miss.

I agree with this but wonder if the difference is that opponents have a defender glued to TC on every possession. However what you Don't See is a drive and a kickout to TC for an open look. That, I don't get!
That's because we iso Fair all the time. He's not a guy who creates for others. I'm not sure Ennis or Grant are either but at least they are efficient.

Maybe Cooney should start doing figure 8's instead of circles. :noidea:

We don't really run an offense. It's just Cooney running off of screens and isolating Fair and occasionally Grant.

This team could be so much offensively with more ball movement and attempting to go inside out. Instead of running Cooney ragged and make him shoot 3's off the move, which he's not good at, the team should be going inside to Grant/Xmas posted up looking for Cooney cross court or on the same wing. It'd help if Ennis could attract more defenders on his drives to kick it out...

Christmas can't post up when he's sitting on the bench game after game after game with foul trouble from stupidly trying to block everything in the same area code. If I'm the other coach prepping for SU, I enter the ball inside until RAK gets his first two (should only take 5-6 minutes), and put a pitbull on Cooney, and let the others burn themselves out shooting 30% while playing three against four. And why wouldn't I? The record indicates that's the way to beat SU this year.

edit: I'm sorry for sounding like I'm dumping it all on one kid. I think everyone agrees he tries his best. The time has come, however, to stop being Boxer ("I will work harder!") from Animal Farm and instead work smarter. And from that perspective, we haven't improved much in the second half of the season.

Last edited:
Christmas can't post up when he's sitting on the bench game after game after game with foul trouble from stupidly trying to block everything in the same area code. If I'm the other coach prepping for SU, I enter the ball inside until RAK gets his first two (should only take 5-6 minutes), and put a pitbull on Cooney, and let the others burn themselves out shooting 30% while playing three against four. And why wouldn't I? The record indicates that's the way to beat SU this year.
Bingo.

i hear people defending cooney's poor shooting of late by saying he draws defenses to him.
that's not at all what i'm seeing. i see trevor zigzagging repeatedly thru the paint and wearing himself down being chased by ONE defender. man to man straight up. no double team!

i hear people defending cooney's poor shooting of late by saying he draws defenses to him.
that's not at all what i'm seeing. i see trevor zigzagging repeatedly thru the paint and wearing himself down being chased by ONE defender. man to man straight up. no double team!
Well he keeps his guard defender out of the lane - but that shouldn't be that hard for any decent guard to do.

I don't like the offense either. Too much ISO not enough set plays and it appears we are a poor fast break team because we don't rebound well on the defensive end and when we do get in the break it seems we make bad decisions or just miss.

I think the last couple games Ennis has appeared to be trying to push the pace a bit more. Which is nice - didn't do much for us yesterday, but it was nice.

Maybe Cooney should start doing figure 8's instead of circles. :noidea:

It shouldn't, but that post made me laugh.

I think the last couple games Ennis has appeared to be trying to push the pace a bit more. Which is nice - didn't do much for us yesterday, but it was nice.
I mentioned this in a different thread. Gives me some hope that it was an attempt to change things up. Was mucked up by the gang that couldn't shoot straight.

he (cooney) could save a little energy by standing out top and do as much.
Actually more since he wouldn't be continually dragging his defender down low. Two less players congesting the lane.

Two issues here:
  • The team runs set plays. It employs specific screens to get isolations for Fair or to get Cooney looks coming off of the single-double screens. With that in mind, Cooney may be running his prescribed cut when a teammate drives the ball into the paint outside of that pattern, which may not place him in a good spot-up position. This explains some of the poor spacing and timing issues this team exhibits.
  • The players may be as much of an issue as the plays. The plays looked awfully good when Andy and Wes were running off of those single-double screens, catching and shooting or finding Arinze posting up. I posted last week about Cooney's need to learn how to read screens more effectively. This would help.

Hes spent, even before the ankle injury he was running like a fifty yr old in the fsu game and even before that. Look at per min production between Cooney and Gbinje last night. Hope he regroups soon

Coach Orange said:
Two issues here: [*]The team runs set plays. It employs specific screens to get isolations for Fair or to get Cooney looks coming off of the single-double screens. With that in mind, Cooney may be running his prescribed cut when a teammate drives the ball into the paint outside of that pattern, which may not place him in a good spot-up position. This explains some of the poor spacing and timing issues this team exhibits. [*]The players may be as much of an issue as the plays. The plays looked awfully good when Andy and Wes were running off of those single-double screens, catching and shooting or finding Arinze posting up. I posted last week about Cooney's need to learn how to read screens more effectively. This would help.

Andy nor Wes, nor anyone in college basketball is asked to be in constant motion like that. I don't call that a play either. He just runs around trying to rub off players hips. It's an ugly offense.

Hes spent, even before the ankle injury he was running like a fifty yr old in the fsu game and even before that. Look at per min production between Cooney and Gbinje last night. Hope he regroups soon
What bothers me about Cooney is they keep saying since his slump started he is spending tons o time in the gym trying to fix his shot. It clearly isnt working. I actually hope he takes a couple days off

Andy nor Wes, nor anyone in college basketball is asked to be in constant motion like that. I don't call that a play either. He just runs around trying to rub off players hips. It's an ugly offense.
Yes opponents know exactly what hes doing, so now when they see him trying to run and lose his guy, they do the same to him as what our screeners are trying to do, they bang into and slow him down. Next year he needs to learn to create for himself off the dribble

Not disagreeing with you at all, Bees; in fact, I completely agree. :) My post was explanatory only, not a defense of the offense as it is being executed this season.

However, what you are observing in terms of Cooney's play is, in fact, poor execution of concepts within our set-play offense. If you don't believe that, watch Boeheim's Syracuse Transition and Early Offense DVD from Championship Productions. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom