CJ Fair appreciation thread | Syracusefan.com

CJ Fair appreciation thread

djdan

Walk On
In an attempt to mimic other attempts to up the positivity of the board, I want to give major props to Mr. Fair. In fact, I don't know if I've ever liked one SU player this much more than I liked any of his teammates.

What a fabulous year he's having. He's now leading the team in scoring and rebounding. Some stats:

14.4 ppg
7.3 rpg
48.9 from the floor
43.6% from three
80.7% from the line

The only one I can compare him to in terms of teammate disparity was Demetris Nichols as a senior. That was a team that also featured the senior duo of TRob and Mookie Watkins, Devo and Andy as sophomores, and Paul Harris as a freshmen. Nichols's numbers as a senior:

18.9 ppg
5.4 rpg
44.7 from the floor
41.7% from three
85.0% from the line

I don't know what has made me more hoarse, screaming "Give the ball to DNic!" in 2006-07 or "Give the ball to CJ!" in 2012-13.

In an attempt to mimic other attempt to up the positivity of the board, I want to give major props to Mr. Fair. In fact, I don't know if I've ever liked one SU player this much more than I liked any of his teammates.

What a fabulous year he's having. He's now leading the team in scoring and rebounding. Some stats:

14.4 ppg
7.3 rpg
48.9 from the floor
43.6% from three
80.7% from the line

The only one I can compare him to in terms of teammate disparity was Demetris Nichols as a senior. That was a team that also featured the senior duo of TRob and Mookie Watkins, Devo and Andy as sophomores, and Paul Harris as a freshmen. Nichols's numbers as a senior:

18.9 ppg
5.4 rpg
44.7 from the floor
41.7% from three
85.0% from the line

I don't know what has made me more hoarse, screaming "Give the ball to DNic!" in 2006-07 or "Give the ball to CJ!" in 2012-13.

In the past decade of SU hoops, CJ is unquestionably the player that has pissed me off the fewest times. I don't think there is even a close second... maybe Andy Rautins is next.

The only other one I can think of is Laz Sims as a senior. Loved everything he did as well. Felt the same way about Hak Warrick as an upperclassman until the dreaded Vermont game. Shudder.

CJ is the man... has been one of my favorites since his freshman year. So consistant - such a silent killer. Still angry he was called for an offensive foul on that dunk earlier this year.. that was just nasty.

Might I add that CJ deserves to be part of a team that makes a run to the finals. One of the guys I was the happiest for in 2003 was Q. Would love to see CJ hold that trophy.. kid just plays hard and does everything he can to try and help this team win.

Plus, he always comports himself well. Ever see him screaming at the rafters and pounding his chest like Gardner did in the Marquette game? Doesn't happen.

tumblr_inline_mh3rmyFu961qhv088.gif

In an attempt to mimic other attempts to up the positivity of the board, I want to give major props to Mr. Fair. In fact, I don't know if I've ever liked one SU player this much more than I liked any of his teammates.

14.4 ppg
7.3 rpg
48.9 from the floor
43.6% from three
80.7% from the line

18.9 ppg
5.4 rpg
44.7 from the floor
41.7% from three
85.0% from the line

He has had an excellent year. It will be interesting to see if he makes 1st team All Big East. If he were returning, he might well be the favorite for Big East Preseason Player of the Year.

I think Otto Porter, Shabazz Napier and Jack Cooley are locks for 1st team all conference. Sean Kilpatrick is my fourth pick. The fifth is close. I think it comes down to Fair, Dieng or Russ Smith.

I have to go with CJ since he is 7th in the conference in scoring (conference games only), 5th in rebounding, 9th in FG pct, 9th in FT pct and 10th in blocked shots. The other players mentioned are all very good, but CJ has been really productive. His overall versatility makes him a 1st team choice.

Of course, if you play the game the BE does, Porter is player of the year and there is room to add one more player, who would probably be Dieng, who changes games with his great shot blocking and excellent rebounding. One reason we missed so many short shots Saturday was because he spooked SU players with his presence close to the basket.

Anyway, good call. CJ is a special player. I wonder if he will be named 1st team All ACC coming in? I seriously doubt it but it will be a good indicator regarding how fairly Syracuse players will be treated for conference honors in basketball.

CJ is great. I remember being really impressed by him as a freshman, it wasn't that anything in particular stood out about his game but he just seemed to have a good feel for the game and a great touch around the basket. He's really turned himself into an impressive player. His mid-range shooting and ft% really speak to all the work that I'm sure he has put in to get to where he is now. And I second the comment about his demeanor--he is a great representation of the school and the program. We are lucky to have him.

My favorite Cuse player on this team. I enjoy watching Triche play too. Both guys are drama free and seem to be good guys.

It's no secret that I've been a fan of CJ Fair dating back to when he committed. After seeing his game film, I've been one of his strongest proponents of his potential on this forum dating back to 2008, when he was still in high school.

Love the kid's game, and think he is a big time player. I've enjoyed seeing CJ dispel a lot of the knocks on him made by various posters claiming that he couldn't do certain things or had holes in his game. He's answered the vast majority of those questions positively this year.

The two things I'd like to see more of from CJ are posting up and using his size a la Carmelo to bolster inside scoring, and putting the ball on the floor more to create scoring opportunities off of the bounce. He shows glimpses of both, but for him to be a truly complete player that's what he'd need to do consistently. He'd be a complete matchup mismatch at the collegiate level if he did.

But one of CJ's strengths is that he excels at playing WITHIN a team offensive concept, and rarely forces. He does a great job of taking what defenses give him without settling for poor shots, forcing, or trying to do too much. But that "strength" sometimes detracts from what he's capable of doing, by limiting his touches, shot attempts, etc. Would love to see him decide he isn't going to be stopped some game and put the team on his back.

That could have been worded better but the fact is, he isn't.

He and the rest of the SU athletes are headed to the ACC...

Took me a few minutes to figure that one out as well.

I like to watch CJ as well. For next season I hope he brings back just a little bit of a right hand (I still have no idea why anyone would ever buy any of his fakes to the right) and he can get a little angry as well. I love to see his smile out there, just want to see some attitude every once in a while as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom