CJ Fair Appreciation Thread | Syracusefan.com

CJ Fair Appreciation Thread

Col. Bleep

All American
I'm going to miss this guy as a player and a personality.

He worked his tail off...he was all business...no silly "swagger."
It was really nice to see his steady development over 4 years.
And it got him All-America status...at least with USA Today.

In the 2nd half of his final game...(through all the ups and downs) he showed his character again...putting the team on his back (along with TE).

Thanks, CJ. All your effort is appreciated. It made for some solid and exciting basketball.
Good luck at the next level.

Col. Bleep said:
I'm going to miss this guy as a player and a personality. He worked his tail off...he was all business...no silly "swagger." It was really nice to see his steady development over 4 years. And it got him All-America status...at least with USA Today. In the 2nd half of his final game...(through all the ups and downs) he showed his character again...putting the team on his back (along with TE). Thanks, CJ. All your effort is appreciated. It made for some solid and exciting basketball. Good luck at the next level.

Agreed. Great career

Best college mid-range shooter in the US post 2010. And when he was on (over 50% from there for a game), it restored beauty and poetry to basketball somewhat. But if that's his primary game, and SU relied on it the most for success, there was no chance of a national championship. Kinda like the Kareem Sky Hook, it actually drops %'s severely when not on (which is often). At least an open 3 pointer mimicks accurately a mastered approach in practice. And a slam dunk/lay-up/foul/foul on the other guy...but mid range shots are too unique, and often require instant creation to be reliably executed.

It's not his fault he was relied on this year to be #1. A#1 should usually be at the 4, but we haven't had that guy much since Carmelo or Hak. That's why I'm looking forward to CM next year, and hope he pans out. Imagine CJ at the 3 with a really ALPHA #4. Put ball in hole from 10 feet in at least 6 or 7 times. People usually talk about the 2 or 5. Get me a 4 that demands "give me the damn ball, Tyler."

This thread deserves more attention.

Four year "program guys" are invaluable and a big reason why SU has enjoyed sustained excellence under Boeheim. Those like CJ who possess high character and contribute significantly on the court from start to finish are particularly rare. Hope we're fortunate enough to see more kids like him come though here.

I'm going to miss this guy as a player and a personality.

He worked his tail off...he was all business...no silly "swagger."
It was really nice to see his steady development over 4 years.
And it got him All-America status...at least with USA Today.

In the 2nd half of his final game...(through all the ups and downs) he showed his character again...putting the team on his back (along with TE).

Thanks, CJ. All your effort is appreciated. It made for some solid and exciting basketball.
Good luck at the next level.
He and BMK won a lot of games for Syracuse during their time on Piety Hill. Many thanks to both and best wishes for great success to the two of them in the future.

I remember being excited about his potential during his brief opportunities his freshman year. Since then he's made his way into my short list of favorite SU players. I know that he was a quiet guy, but personality wise, this was a really great team this year, and I bet that CJ deserves much of the credit for this.

I have no sense of NBA potential, but I really hope that CJ is able to make a few million dollars playing basketball and is able to set himself up comfortably for life.

CJ Fair is one of my all-time favorite program guys. I've been a big fan of his ever since I watched some of his high school film after he committed to us his junior year. Simply put, CJ was a hard worker who accepted his role, was a big time contributor all four years, and displayed zero attitude / ego. We'd do well to have more players like CJ Fair on any team we had.

The issue--if there really is one--was that CJ was the ultimate glue guy / complimentary role player, who got miscast a little bit as the leading man this year. If we'd had Waiters or MCW on this team, I think CJ's efficiency would have been much higher, instead of dragged down by over-utilization [and I think the usage stats bear that out, compared to his first three years]. He's the guy who kills other teams when their primary defensive attention is focused elsewhere. It's one of the reasons I think he has a shot to stick in the NBA if he gets drafted by the right team [San Antonio, Oklahoma City, etc.].

But this kid is a class act all the way. He came from a good family, and it isn't surprising to see why he's such a good young man / representative of our program. Its really too bad his career ended the way it did, after such a great start to the season.

But I'll always remember this kid fondly. He might not have quite lived up to the expectations I and many others had for him statistically, but he was an important cog in a four year stretch as good as any in program history. 2nd Team All-American--and an even better kid off the court.

Despite how disappointed I feel about our team's post-season, this kid deserves a round of applause.

Last edited:
CJ Fair is one of my all-time favorite program guys. I've been a big fan of his ever since I watched some of his high school film after he committed to us his junior year. Simply put, CJ was a hard worker who accepted his role, was a big time contributor all four years, and displayed zero attitude / ego. We'd do well to have more players like CJ Fair on any team we had.

The issue--if there really is one--was that CJ was the ultimate glue guy / complimentary role player, who got miscast a little bit as the leading man. If we'd had Waiters or MCW on this team, I think CJ's efficiency would have been much higher, instead of dragged down by over-utilization [and I think the usage stats bear that out, compared to his first three years].

But this kid is a class act all the way. He came from a good family, and it isn't surprising to see why he's such a good young man / representative of our program. Its really too bad his career ended the way it did, after such a great start to the season.

But I'll always remember this kid fondly. He might not have quite lived up to the expectations I and many others had for him statistically, but he was an important cog in a four year stretch as good as any in program history. 2nd Team All-American--and an even better kid off the court.

Despite how disappointed I feel about our team's post-season, this kid deserves a round of applause.
thats where i am.

reminded me of burgan. fair obviously kept his nose out of trouble. he probably couldve used a little of burgans...just give me the damn ball...mentality though.

both were better cast as 2nd bananas.

thats where i am.

reminded me of burgan. fair obviously kept his nose out of trouble. he probably couldve used a little of burgans...just give me the damn ball...mentality though.

both were better cast as 2nd bananas.

fair lost his shot but burgan's conditioning let me down more. i'll remember fair a lot more fondly. i just shrug at why his shot went away but i don't question his work - burgan, i do

I would take 12 CJs and BMKs on my team any day.

When CJ was our second or third option on offense, he was incredibly productive. Though he isn't really suited to be the first option in an isolation-based, set-play offense, I think he acquitted himself pretty well in that role this season, too. He hit several big shots in his career, and he made the most out of hitting mid-range jumpers curling off of down screens.

Though BMK's technical skills never improved greatly in his four years here, his energy on the court was a major factor in our Final Four run last season. He always seemed to understand and execute his role on the team. All good teams need players like BMK; players willing to sacrifice for the good of the team. I feel bad that injuries stole a few games from him this season, including, it seems, most of his last one in an Orange uniform. In his absence, I think we missed the spark he often brought off of the bench.

Good luck to both of these young men. I thank them for their efforts in entertaining us.

Another great post. He is a fine player who has represented the university well.
Could not say it better in so few words. He was a great ambassador for the Cuse and gave us 4 great years.Thanks and you will be greatly missed.

Last edited:
CJ Fair was a fantastic college basketball player.

He is exactly what I value in an athlete. Calm, cool and collected throughout the entire game. But knows when to get angry and how to use it.

Also he had the greatest offensive foul of all time.