CJ Fair Second Half | Syracusefan.com

CJ Fair Second Half

iommi

Living Legend
Weird game. He had a solid first half and then hardly got the ball in the second half. That is on our point guard and our coach. You have to get the ball our most consistent option.

Inexcusable.

This. Absolutely. He didn't get the ball and then, inexplicably, he sat for the final three or four minutes. Made zero sense.

He sat so we co
This. Absolutely. He didn't get the ball and then, inexplicably, he sat for the final three or four minutes. Made zero sense.

He sat but the last 4 minutes were the perfect spot to use the JG, JS and CJ front court. We needed offense.

Weird game. He had a solid first half and then hardly got the ball in the second half. That is on our point guard and our coach. You have to get the ball our most consistent option.

Inexcusable.
MCW didnt get the ball to anyone...1 asst in the game. When you pg records 1 asst...you lose big time

I love JG but the better shooter needed to be on the floor.

Yeah, CJ not touching the ball when we're struggling to score was a fatal mistake. He's the closest thing we have to a calming force on the court.

I will have to re-watch the game tomorrow to verify this, but it seems to me that we ran less "Double Fist" (double high ball screen) and "Shuffle" (UCLA cut to a baseline cross screen or a down screen) plays in the second half, despite the fact that they worked fairly well in the first half.

We ran a "53" (5 man screens for the 3) for Fair in the second half, but I only remember it being run once, which is weird since I think he scored on it. We also ran our "2" and "3" plays (baseline down screens for Triche and Fair) a few times, too, though not as successfully as we have at times. This lack of effectiveness can be attributed to Fair not getting as many touches and Triche being off most of the night.

That said, we ran plenty of high ball screens, though--more than we should. I love pick-and-roll basketball, but it requires the ball handler to make good decisions and knockdown shooters to really work well. It also needs bigs that can catch and finish in traffic. We don't have those assets consistently. Truth be told, most college teams don't, which is part of the reason college scoring is down. It seems pick-and-roll is the preferred half-court offense of more and more teams, but not all of them are equipped to run it efficiently.

Then again, when a team doesn't reverse the ball to move the defense, and they don't move without the ball to occupy the defense, efficiency will suffer, no matter what offense they are running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom