CJ possible All American? | Syracusefan.com

CJ possible All American?

Flacusian

All Conference
If I were a voter I'd certainly vote for CJ but then again I might be a wee bit partial ;). This article is from Bleacher Report and I know their content is iffy at best but being the middle of summer and Cuse Basketball deprived I figured it is something of interest and it is about CJ who is our current upperclass stud.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...4-all-american-team-in-ncaa-basketball/page/6
Love it, man.
Says that he has the best shot of all on that list to be All American.
With all the promise of Grant, recruits, Rak, DC2, MikeG, Baye and everyone else I am forgetting, this guy's our rock.
He is going to own the college basketball world this year.
Ridiculously excited to have a leader in CJ.

Not if Dajuan and Gbinije beat him out.
wink.png

I wonder if Gbinije could have had a sophmore Dion Waiters like season last year.
Can't Wait!!

I'm one of the biggest CJ Fair fans you'll find.

However, I'm very excited to watch silent G. I think some of us our overlooking a real pearl.

CJ Fair is AA caliber, no doubt. But I think MG is gonna shock us.

I'm one of the biggest CJ Fair fans you'll find.

However, I'm very excited to watch silent G. I think some of us our overlooking a real pearl.

CJ Fair is AA caliber, no doubt. But I think MG is gonna shock us.

I think we're going to have a great team next year, and I think CJ has a great chance to make AA, whether it be first or second or third team whatever. Right now I'm thinking 2nd or 3rd seems more likely. 1st team would be likely for CJ if he didn't have much help on offense and had to play a bigger role, consequently putting up bigger numbers. But it looks like we'll be a better offensive team next year. As much as I loved MCW and Triche, they were statistically very inefficient shooters - Ennis and Mike G will very likely put up better shooting numbers. Ennis just led allU-19 players in scoring last week, and i'll address Mike G later. Plus we'll be a much more potent team scoring points in the paint with sophomores Grant and Coleman playing bigger roles. And so I expect CJ to continue doing what he does best - just playing his game, taking full advantage of whatever the other team gives him. And so I expect his numbers to go up again last year like they have each year he's been here, but I don't think we'll see radically different numbers. 16 ppg and 8 rpg, playing his highly efficient style of game seems about right to me, and could certainly anchor a return run to the final four.

And to echo what another poster in this thread said, I think we'll all be very impressed with Mike G. As a freshman at Duke, he was a highly touted recruit who put up good numbers in limited playing time. But the only reason he didn't play more is because he had Seth Curry and Austin Rivers playing in front of him. (Not to mention Andrew Dawkins, Ty Thornton and Quinn Cook all taking up minutes at the other guard spots, creating a real log jam at the 2 and 3.) Despite this, Duke fans were very vocally calling for MG to get more minutes - despite all the talent G had in front of him! They really liked his game. His shooting game was his strength, shooting 55% from the field and 40% from 3 (again albeit in limited minutes.) He was solid on defense and ball handling was a weakness. So now consider he's worked this entire year and a half to improve his ball handling - eliminating that as a weakness to the point where he now can backup Ennis at the point spot - learning our 2-3 zone, and continue developing his already solid outside shot. It's tough to predict what kind of numbers he'll put up since his own game is still a bit of an unknown, and considering even if it's really good, Cooney or Patterson could surprise us and cut into Mike G's minutes as well. But I think we'll all be very pleasantly surprised with Mike G.

I see Ennis, Mike G., CJ, Grant, and possibly/hopefully Coleman all putting up very impressive numbers this year. (Not to mention all the other crazy talent we've got like Roberson and BJ and hopefully Christmas and Cooney and Patterson. With Keita providing that much needed rock solid defense at center to anchor our zone, rotating in as needed.) I think we'll see a lot of orange on the ACC 1st and 2nd teams next year!

grant will be the stud. gb; iv'e never seen play. don't get there much since the stroke
Sorry about that igor. Must have been rough. But I hope you get to watch many games this year. And get ready, this team can do damage!

Excellent post.
I look back to Triche, KJO, MCW Sophmore Dion Southerland and I would say they leaned more towards 3rd scoring option then second. That being said my definition of second option is probably in the NBA but not always like in Dnic, Devendorfs, Donte, and AO's case and some of them were first scoring options. Wes is barely cracking it even.

Gbinije technically spent a extra year in higschool, and sat out a year to be elgible. Technically he could have been a senior this year and Fair is a senior.

And Dajuan and Ennis are isolation guys who want to make things happen, that being said I think they actually could have a scoring edge over Gbinije but won't be as fundementally experienced. Isolation scorers tend to make better second options as well. Triche MCW(for most if his time at syracuse) and KJO with a decent dribble and only a decent pullup weren't true isolation scorers.

We just need one of Gbinije, Dajuan or Ennis to step up and be a true second scoring option and if 2-3 of them can we can be the best team out there. Especially considering college basketball is a game of mismatches.

When you really think about it we know we have a much better chance of bringing a scorer off the bench this year. Roberson has a face up game in the post and a better dribble then Grant who also grows a year older. And Patterson and BJ are more likely to score off a bounce then Cooney last year who also matures a year. I still think Cooney could play more backup point in the halfcourt while Gbinije could play more point in the open court due to his speed.

Its going to be interesting though we haven't had a big that can play all over the post to run different sets in quite some time and Gbinije has practiced both sides of the court as has CJ and Ennis. Unlike Triche and KJO who always favored the left side of the court I got to wonder how JB will run with that. And I really wouldn't count out BJ, Roberson, or Patterson as a 8ppg guy as even a fresh.

And I really wouldn't count out BJ, Roberson, or Patterson as a 8ppg guy as even a fresh.[/quote]

BJ and Roberson especially. Patterson I see more as a hard nosed defensive stopper who can provide some solid ball handling off the bench and score some when he's given an open lane to drive to the basket. But if his outside shooting continues to improve, 8 ppg certainly is possible.

Does anyone remember the monster slam CJ did his freshman year? I believe it was early in the season against a non-conference opponent. Television did not do that slam justice. It was the noise of that slam that made people scream with delight and surprise. (This phenomenon of getting excited by a slam must be similar to fireworks, which are really great but absolutely must be accompanied by loud noise.)