Class of 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 16

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
I know we are focusing, rightly, on this year's team right now, but I can't help but comment on how exciting the future is for Syracuse basketball. When you look at Moyer and Battle - these are top quality people, not just basketball players. If you haven't read up on them - check the articles about them signing their NLIs as a starting point.

Their skills, in conjunction with the considerable talent in the '15 class (plus PC) are going to combine for many great moments in the future. Both of the '16 signees seem mature beyond their years and I think they will strengthen the program in many ways - an important factor considering the transition between coaches will happen during their normal tenure.

Anyway, back to this season.

I think the caveat is that we need to have those top 10 recruiting classes every year (not just once every 3 or 4 years). Why? Because we're always losing 1 or 2 players that we didn't anticipate. Only the Dukes and Kentuckys stockpile enough elite talent to make attrition irrelevant. 2o16-2017 has the potential to be a great year, but I fear we're getting ahead of ourselves yet again. Lots of what-if's with key underclassmen staying or leaving.

What really struck me about Battle and Moyer was their emotions and what a big deal this was to their families. This rhetoric has been mocked, but my feeling was that it takes a village to produce a D1 college basketball player.

the thought of a Battle/Mal starting backcourt (w/Howard and KJ(?) in reserve) has me drooling a bit. length and talent

Robe, supreme deity of the Igbo spiritual belief system and new Tyler is almost as appealing on the back line. Just need a little backup at the 4/5 (Taurean plz) and we should be deadly

the thought of a Battle/Mal starting backcourt (w/Howard and KJ(?) in reserve) has me drooling a bit. length and talent

Robe, supreme deity of the Igbo spiritual belief system and new Tyler is almost as appealing on the back line. Just need a little backup at the 4/5 (Taurean plz) and we should be deadly

Which reminds me, why is Taurean our only big offer in 16? What if we don't get him? Shouldn't we have at least one more big with an offer?

Which reminds me, why is Taurean our only big offer in 16? What if we don't get him? Shouldn't we have at least one more big with an offer?

you would think so

we have g & Coondog's spots filled but DC2, Robe, KJ and Chino all have a possibility of being gone after the year. we may even have room for Taurean (or another big) plus more.

even with the schollie situation what it currently is. we should still have a few offers out for next year (plus an eye on possible 5th year transfers)

I like what Battle's father said about his son. They are really good people. And Moyer play's the violin. Stop, let me repeat that. Moyer plays the violin. I'm still trying to hold the two thoughts in my head at the same time. We have a Orange 4-star recruit who plays the violin! Ouch, it hurts.

Just shut the front door!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

All "its early and KJ is going to step up posts aside"

I really want to see kj extend and pressure try to take the ball and a charge some. The more I watch it could be just as rough for him next year. If that means 3-2 zone or 1- 2-2 zone with the one guy playing man, I would like to see us try it. Especially with 10 on the shot clock. Hes in a tough situation with all that length on the perimeter. Teams in the last 5 years have gotten really good at keeping the ball out of sideline trap territory with three guys passing around the perimeter. Against those teams, it takes ball pressure to force them to dribble into it.

We are depending alot on Cooney and Gbinije to stop the drive anyway. How about having to go through two lines of guards, and a trap in the middle of the court some with kjo instead of just on the sidelines.

I really want his game to round out in a russ smith way just no unbalened jumpshots. He lands where he jumps from on his jumper and has the speed to open that up.

Last edited:
you would think so

we have g & Coondog's spots filled but DC2, Robe, KJ and Chino all have a possibility of being gone after the year. we may even have room for Taurean (or another big) plus more.

even with the schollie situation what it currently is. we should still have a few offers out for next year (plus an eye on possible 5th year transfers)

I think this is where the scholarship reductions really hurt. In the past you had a couple of extra scholarships to play with and you could offer and take an extra guy or two. Right now we only have two openings next year and we already have two commits.

Returners:
DCII
Chuckwu
Lydon
Obokoh
Roberson
Richardson
Howard
Joseph

Commits:
Moyer
Battle

There isn't anyone on that 8 man returning roster who looks like they would definitely not be back. Must be hard to recruit anyone of any significance when the likelihood that we will have a scholarship available appears less than certain.

Given that the staff seemed to be handing out more scholarships than we had available last year, and this year they don't seem to be...maybe that is a comment on their expectations that guys will be back.

I think this is where the scholarship reductions really hurt. In the past you had a couple of extra scholarships to play with and you could offer and take an extra guy or two. Right now we only have two openings next year and we already have two commits.

Returners:
DCII
Chuckwu
Lydon
Obokoh
Roberson
Richardson
Howard
Joseph

Commits:
Moyer
Battle

There isn't anyone on that 8 man returning roster who looks like they would definitely not be back. Must be hard to recruit anyone of any significance when the likelihood that we will have a scholarship available appears less than certain.

Given that the staff seemed to be handing out more scholarships than we had available last year, and this year they don't seem to be...maybe that is a comment on their expectations that guys will be back.
KJ could be a transfer candidate with Battle coming in and if PT does not increase.
Not saying he will or should and understanding there is a long way to go in this season for him to prove he should play.

Returners:
DCII
Chuckwu
Lydon
Obokoh
Roberson
Richardson
Howard
Joseph

Commits:
Moyer
Battle

while I sincerely hope that all the kids stay and excel, I think there is a real good chance at least 1 more "returnee" doesn't make it back for next year. in order, I'd put it at

DC2 - healthy enough to start a pro career or gets hurt and hangs em up
Mal - after raining 3 pointers like Lamar Mundane, he gone
KJ - recruited over, transfers to greener pastures
Chino - transfer (although with the RS and NCAA screw job he prob goes nowhere)
Robe - I've seen some speculate that he's a potential draft jump (I don't see it)

I like what Battle's father said about his son. They are really good people. And Moyer play's the violin. Stop, let me repeat that. Moyer plays the violin. I'm still trying to hold the two thoughts in my head at the same time. We have a Orange 4-star recruit who plays the violin! Ouch, it hurts.

Get OUT!
My mind is officially blown. That is wonderful.

another possibility - we get ncaa relief, probability unknown, but one might speculate that in light of N Carolina and the Ville the scale has changed in our favor.

Exactly why Kevin Huerter is going to Maryland.

Settle down. It's not like he plays the Sousaphone.

Interesting that Skout had Battle listed as 4 Star and Rivals had him as a 3 Star not too long ago. Both now list him as a 5 Star recruit.

All three services continue to list Moyer as a 4 Star.

you would think so

Where would Roberson potentially going? He's not transferring after 3 years(even if he wasn't a starter), and he's not much of an NBA prospect.

Where would Roberson potentially going? He's not transferring after 3 years(even if he wasn't a starter), and he's not much of an NBA prospect.

please see my subsequent post