Class of 2019 recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 recruiting

RF2044

Living Legend
Having Tyus Battle opt to return is an unexpected boost to next year's team -- I can even remember a year when we might have had all five starters return -- very rare in today's college basketball.

The downside [if there is one] to this is that we're going to face even heavier attrition losses after next season. Frank / Chukwu graduate, Tyus has indicated he's leaving after next year, and Brissett likely will be gone, as well. So we'll go from a situation where we return all 5, to having 4 of those guys leave.

So far for the class of 2019, we only have one player [Goodine] lined up. By my count, we should have 4 more open slots, and likely 5 to fill [there's also the possibility that Buddy Boeheim shifts to a non-scholarship walk on, attending school for free since his father is a university employee].

Need to load up on forwards and add at least one center in the class of 2019. Those priorities take precedent over landing another guard in the class.

buddy, marek, braswell, carey, sidibe, hughes, washington do they all make it to 2020

Isnt this the same that would would have had had Bazley come except perhaps no Braswell either?

really need 2 fw's and a center in this next class to add to Goodine.

I'm curious how viable Buddy Boeheim can be as a forward.

We still need some new talent to sign on for our forward minutes, but if Buddy can swing to the bottom the 2-3 the roster combos get a little more interesting.

Also hope that we don't lose a Washington or Marek to transfer or Euro league. Not saying it will happen but I didn't really think Moyer would leave. College bball is so volital from year to year.

I'm curious how viable Buddy Boeheim can be as a forward.

We still need some new talent to sign on for our forward minutes, but if Buddy can swing to the bottom the 2-3 the roster combos get a little more interesting.

Viable if he grows. His brother is in the 6-7 to 6-8 range -- will Buddy sprout to a similar height? If so, maybe he'll fit at 3.

I can't see us taking anymore guards. I think we need to take a center and 2-3 forwards. It should be a 4-5 man class

I can't see us taking anymore guards. I think we need to take a center and 2-3 forwards. It should be a 4-5 man class
not necessarily. goodine plus: combo wing, true sf & 2 pfs, at least 1 of whom can also play c

not necessarily. goodine plus: combo wing, true sf & 2 pfs, at least 1 of whom can also play c

I think it’s going to be hard to bring in that many guys when at most we will go 8-9 deep. I’d be happy with Whitney/Guerrero/Wahab or Cockburn/Goodine. Those seem to be our main targets right now. I can’t see us getting Steward, but who knows.

I think it’s going to be hard to bring in that many guys when at most we will go 8-9 deep. I’d be happy with Whitney/Guerrero/Wahab or Cockburn/Goodine. Those seem to be our main targets right now. I can’t see us getting Steward, but who knows.
akok & another pf/c & 2 o/t wings

I see no downside to Tyus coming back, with regard to 2019. We would have the same spots to fill regardless and it should be easier to recruit during a good season than a crummy one. Hopefully, we kill it this year and show the young kids that Cuse is back.

Having Tyus Battle opt to return is an unexpected boost to next year's team -- I can even remember a year when we might have had all five starters return -- very rare in today's college basketball.

The downside [if there is one] to this is that we're going to face even heavier attrition losses after next season. Frank / Chukwu graduate, Tyus has indicated he's leaving after next year, and Brissett likely will be gone, as well. So we'll go from a situation where we return all 5, to having 4 of those guys leave.

So far for the class of 2019, we only have one player [Goodine] lined up. By my count, we should have 4 more open slots, and likely 5 to fill [there's also the possibility that Buddy Boeheim shifts to a non-scholarship walk on, attending school for free since his father is a university employee].

Need to load up on forwards and add at least one center in the class of 2019. Those priorities take precedent over landing another guard in the class.
I agree regarding forwards. The nice thing is we have Goodine coming in and will have Carey back with HW coming off a redshirt and Buddy. So we have 4 quality guards.

i'm sure JB will give all the young guys plenty of minutes during the season and it will be another seamless transition. cuz that's how he rolls.

This scares me. I don't have any faith in our recruiting right now.

I don't know man -- I get it because obviously we've had some big swing and misses, right? Wanted Quade, didn't get him. Wanted Swider, didn't get him, got Bazely but somehow that didn't work out. We've also been in early on a bunch of guys only to finish out of the picture -- Davis, Stewart might be headed that way, etc. AND, we've had some poor talent evaluations, particularly at PG where we wound up with Kaleb and, though he's a really solid player, trying to sort of fit a square peg into a round hole with Frank, at least to a degree. We even missed out on some lower rated secondary guys like Golden.

I also don't think there's any question that a guy like a Weaver or Murphy would be a pretty solid addition to this staff if there are changes in the relatively near future.

But, having said that, I do think we need to recalibrate how we look at recruiting. I mean, we'd all love a class that featured Goodine, Akok, Stewart, Gurrier and Whitney, for example (I'm just putting five names there that we've had a lot of discussion about -- I realize that's not a class we'd actually pull in). But the reality is if you signed that class (or whatever highly regarded guys you want to use) and those kids all blow up and come in as top 50 guys -- there's a real chance all four or five are gone in a year or two and then you're back in the same boat.

We need some top-end talent, no question. But honestly if you look at the full picture in recruiting it's not as ugly as people sometimes seem to indicate it is. For one, we currently have a roster that should put us in the top 25 most of the year next year and get us in the top 4 or 5 of the best, deepest conference in the country.

We've also landed some pretty highly regarded players the past few seasons (Mali, Battle, Bazely -- I know, I know), some others who weren't exceedingly high regarded but were legit lands (Brissett, Sidibe, Lydon, Goodine) and a couple of key transfers who could turn out to be steals (Chuckwu and Hughes). Other than that we've hit on a fair percentage of secondary (or worse) options (Dolezaj was huge, Howard is frustrating but had a solid season).

To me, I just think we need to chill a bit and let the process play out. I also think we need to value targets that might be here three or four years, even if they don't play as much as frosh. I think we should be all over the traditional transfer market to see if there are a few kids who could be nice fits. I really think the key is to try and land a top-end kid or two most years but really live in the 75-200 range.

Who knows? Not an exact science but I'm not sure it's as bad as we sometimes think it is.

i'm sure JB will give all the young guys plenty of minutes during the season and it will be another seamless transition. cuz that's how he rolls.

I wish you were coaching the team so that we could properly focus on '19-'20 instead of worrying about winning a bunch of games in '18-'19, especially since it's impossible for players to improve in practice and the weight room but absolutely guaranteed they will get better if they average 12 minutes a game instead of 6 minutes a game. I'm on the Coach Tbonezone train!!!!

I wish you were coaching the team so that we could properly focus on '19-'20 instead of worrying about winning a bunch of games in '18-'19, especially since it's impossible for players to improve in practice and the weight room but absolutely guaranteed they will get better if they average 12 minutes a game instead of 6 minutes a game. I'm on the Coach Tbonezone train!!!!
sarcasm will cost you 20 pushups ! drop on my whistle !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom